What are best ways to cut sugar in daily Diet

Options
I really need to cut my sugar intake, are there any suggestions or subsitutes on accomplishing this goal?

Replies

• joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Eat less processed food.
  • radgurl08
    radgurl08 Posts: 14
    Options
    Cut out soda or any other sugary drinks you may be consuming....
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Juice/soda/sports drinks/fancy coffee/teas! That was my #1 problem. I would check all foods here on MFP before I decide to eat them to keep my sugar low. I also minimize my fruit intake to 1-2 servings a day early in the day. I can earn my (healthy) sugar grams from workouts. The best thing to do is plan your menu for the day.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yea I was reviewing label yesterday and I realized how much drinks hurt your diet so for now and most of the future i will try to rely on teas and H20 but thats hard though bc even juice is a killer but what about those organic juices or 100% pressed juices?
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Cut out all sugary drinks. Limit your dairy intake, milk has a lot of sugar. Limit your fruit intake to one or two days a week, and watch your carb intake. Check out the American Diabetes Assoc. website and follow their diet suggestions. Good luck.
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    When you say 'processed' you mean the foods with the fucose, and engineered sugars?
  • Michi63
    Michi63 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use splenda. I drink lots of water and very little soda or other sugary drinks. If I crave a sugary treat I get a McDonalds vanilla icecream cone and that usually satisfies me. I mix a little bit of juice with carbonated water. :drinker:
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Beware of yoghurts, some of them are full of sugar, even the 'low fat' ones.
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    I had a nice catch with that diary thing this morning, I was about to eat a bowl of cereal then I checked the milk sugar and even though it was 2% milk the sugar was at 12g i believe so thats why I had dry cereal to start my day off. I was not aware milk contained so much sugar
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    I use splenda. I drink lots of water and very little soda or other sugary drinks. If I crave a sugary treat I get a McDonalds vanilla icecream cone and that usually satisfies me. I mix a little bit of juice with carbonated water. :drinker:

Why carbonated water?
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    Cut out all sugary drinks. Limit your dairy intake, milk has a lot of sugar. Limit your fruit intake to one or two days a week, and watch your carb intake. Check out the American Diabetes Assoc. website and follow their diet suggestions. Good luck.

I had a nice catch with that diary thing this morning, I was about to eat a bowl of cereal then I checked the milk sugar and even though it was 2% milk the sugar was at 12g i believe so thats why I had dry cereal to start my day off. I was not aware milk contained so much sugar
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When you say 'processed' you mean the foods with the fucose, and engineered sugars?
    Anything that's been altered. Mostly stuff you get in packaged forms.

"Processed foods have been altered from their natural state for safety reasons and for convenience.
    Processed foods that may be bad for your diet:

canned foods with large amounts of sodium or fat
    breads and pastas made with refined white flour instead of whole grains
    packaged high-calorie snack foods such as chips and candies
    frozen fish sticks and frozen dinners that are high in sodium
    packaged cakes and cookies
    boxed meal mixes that are high in fat and sodium
    sugary breakfast cereals
    processed meats"
    http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/processedfoods.htm

Milk does have sugar but it is a great source of calcium and protein. If you're going to forgo milk, make sure you're getting your calcium elsewhere. Milk and yoghurt have sugar but that doesn't mean they're bad for you.
  • karlajohnson123
    karlajohnson123 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    SOda? WHat's that? I haven't had anything but water or 1% milk in 3 months. haha
    Seriously, no liquid calories.
    I had been on a plateau and I cut my carbs in half this week and finally a couple of pounds disappeared.
    How many carbs are you getting in a day?
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have started having tea coffee without sugar, i don have fruit juices unless its fresh without sugar. Limited sodas. I don know if you want to cut sugar to lose weight or if you are diabetic, I don mind the sugar in fruits, but I try to not eat refined sugar.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Careful not to eliminate ALL sugars, as your body does need some. If you cut all your sugar, your body is going to have 'black out' like moments. What everyone else said is correct, cut out the processed foods, sugars drinks, and definitely the candy.

Sugar in Ok (when eaten in correct portions) in:
    Fruit
    Milk
    Dairy (though, Id still stay away from American Cheese ;D )

Eat 'clean' sugars...If that makes sense...
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    You could try cutting juice with water. If I want some orange juice in the morning I do 1/2 juice, 1/2 water. As for tea, there are great fruity herbal teas that need little, if any, sweetening.
  • mlnytrmn
    mlnytrmn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you try watering down the juice that you drink. Don't water it down too much but a little, if you find that your sugars are still high try watering it down a little bit more. You don't want to loose the tase of the juice but we honestly don't need it as sweet as it is. I know this is what one of the agencies around here said to do with juice for children because they were finding children were drinking too much juice and their sugars were off the charts. It may not work for you but it may be worth a try before saying "no more juice".
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I posted a question about fruit sugars not long back and the general consensus was that it's much better to eat an apple than drink a glass of apple juice. The skin on the apple gives you fibre y'see.

Rule of thumb is to eat your calories rather than drinking them. Other than 3 coffees a day and a light hot chocolate at night, I drink only water now.

I'm in the process of researching what fruits have a reasonably low level of sugar in them... Berries are generally quite low sugar. Grapes and raisins are quite high sugar.
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    Anything that's been altered. Mostly stuff you get in packaged forms.

"Processed foods have been altered from their natural state for safety reasons and for convenience.
    Processed foods that may be bad for your diet:

canned foods with large amounts of sodium or fat
    breads and pastas made with refined white flour instead of whole grains
    packaged high-calorie snack foods such as chips and candies
    frozen fish sticks and frozen dinners that are high in sodium
    packaged cakes and cookies
    boxed meal mixes that are high in fat and sodium
    sugary breakfast cereals
    processed meats"
    http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/processedfoods.htm

Milk does have sugar but it is a great source of calcium and protein. If you're going to forgo milk, make sure you're getting your calcium elsewhere. Milk and yoghurt have sugar but that doesn't mean they're bad for you.

got it
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    SOda? WHat's that? I haven't had anything but water or 1% milk in 3 months. haha
    Seriously, no liquid calories.
    I had been on a plateau and I cut my carbs in half this week and finally a couple of pounds disappeared.
    How many carbs are you getting in a day?

I think my goal is set to 230/day in carbs but I might not eat that much I am going to check my diary