loosing weight with physical and mental health problems

Options
im sure there are many more like me, facing the day to day struggles with various conditions. i,myself have hypermobiliy syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, anxiety disorder, mild agoraphobia and borderline personality disorder, which makes trying to stay on track quite difficult at times. trying to break a life time comfort eating habit is so god damn difficult. on my bad days a binge eat is undoubtedly imminent but i allow myself that, i need it at that current time. in times gone by that would of thrown me off for days thinking well ive ruined it now so why bother trying now, thankfully that way of thinking has diminished. im loosing weight slower than most people but i am indeed loosing and not gaining :)
anyway it would be lovely to meet people with similar obstacles to offer support or indeed seek support from people who understand what i/we go through

Replies

• Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    Your doing great . You can do this
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    Those things are only obstacles if you allow them to get in your way. Hypermobility can be improved by consistent moderate exercise. I like pilates or yoga (some people say you shouldn't do yoga with hypermobility but I say...if I have too much unnatural flexibility, increasing natural flexibilty can only help), when I'm able. Broke my foot 2.5 months ago and just now starting to walk in human shoes and doing PT...so, no real exercise for me for a while.

And, exercise can help chronic pain as well. I found pilates (les mills body flow was awesome--combo of yoga, tai-chi and pilates) helped my migraines, when I still had them. Doing it with a migraine was a real kitten, but it helped. And the research on fibromyalgia says exercise can help that, too.

So here's the thing with bpd, anxiety disorders and chronic pain...they all have a high likelihood of having depression...exercise increases the body's production of endorphins, which are chemicals that make us feel good. This can help counteract some mild to moderate depression.

I'm not advocating starting some super-high intensity Insanity type exercise regime...but walking...30 minutes a day can help with all these things, a little yoga or pilates...good for weight loss, good for mental health, good for chronic pain. If the agoraphobia makes it hard to walk outside, there are some walking videos available that I've heard are good. And there are a lot of yoga/pilates videos on youtube as well.

As for anxiety and bpd...those are hard. Get help. When you have the urge to do something...think about it first...is this me or is this my disorder? BPD can cause dramatic mood swings, just remember that...Balance is key.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I too have physical and mental disorders that severely limit me. I think you guys are inspiring...I've pretty much given up on exercise except for odd walk with my husband. Exercise also exhausts me and makes me feel worse...:(. It's too bad because I used to be very active before the accident and the ensuing illnesses. But we'll be moving to the country soon and I am hoping I might be able to work up to walking on my own...
  • hannahontheleftcoast
    hannahontheleftcoast Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm still practicing not eating my feelings right now. I have anxiety and physical anxiety symptoms that can really get in the way of my functioning so I feel you. Hugs
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes. Chronic pain and fatigue due to fibromyalgia and also depression and anxiety run my life. It's a battle every day. The hardest part was starting. Now I'm in two months in feeling much better all around. Although I still pay for it pain wise if I over do it. But mentally I'm in a much better place now. And physically I seem to have less flare ups and seem less severe.
  • wanna_be_free
    wanna_be_free Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    thanyou for all your replies. and for all your offers of support. i really do appreciate it. and thanks for sharing your stories x
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I do not have any physical impediments to weight loss but I have struggled with the effects psychiatric medications had on my metabolism and activity capabilities.

I have bipolar disorder (type 1) and appreciate the impact mental health issues can have to both physical and dietary health.

You (or anyone who can relate) are welcome to add me.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You guys are inspiring, and slow progress is still progress. :)
  • TripleA1328
    TripleA1328 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and have board line personality disorder and it feels like I have no energy I've been trying 5-HTP and b complex to see if that doesn't help along with 300mg of Lamictal but hoping to get off of Lamictal my doctor told me that sunshine helps or taking vitamin D listening to upbeat music while doing an walking video anything just moving around is better than nothing and trying to eat more fruits and veggies.