Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hello!

I'm trying to get back into the swing of running but I need a good HRM. I have the polar Bluetooth monitor but their app sucks and stops reading sometimes half way so I lose track of everything.

I am open to any and all suggestions!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that a GPS is of far more value to you than a straightforward HRM.

The recommendation then depends on what your budget is.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use a wahoo chest strap along with their Android App. It is flawless and of course it has the feature of posting directly in your MFP account. I chose the wahoo because of their battery life and the led lights that tell you a bit more.

Due to their battery life (again), I am not prepared to buy a HRM watch yet. As I heard, there are good ones like the Apple Watch and soon-to-be-released ones based on Google Wear 2.0. But these watches don't offer the accuracy and immediacy of the straps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Due to their battery life (again), I am not prepared to buy a HRM watch yet. As I heard, there are good ones like the Apple Watch and soon-to-be-released ones based on Google Wear 2.0. But these watches don't offer the accuracy and immediacy of the straps.

I think you're somewhat confused about the available technology.

Optical, wrist worn, HR sensors can give from 5-10 days of performance on a charge. And they take about half an hour to charge.

That said, HR measurement is of very limited value on a 24/7 basis.
  • ErinCoury
    ErinCoury Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that a GPS is of far more value to you than a straightforward HRM.

I have no budget to be honest. I really only need something that'll accurately calculate my calories since I use my phone for everything else. It's why I feel a simple HRM would be the best however I am open to suggestions because live in MI where the weather is nice about 50-70% of the year.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ErinCoury wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm trying to get back into the swing of running but I need a good HRM. I have the polar Bluetooth monitor but their app sucks and stops reading sometimes half way so I lose track of everything.

I like the Polar for the real time heart rate display while using the treadmill. If it is crapping out on you, take the battery out and short the metal pieces to re-set it. I seem to have to do this every couple of weeks. Honestly, if I could get an answer on if the Garmin chest strap can display real time HR like Polar Flow does, I'd ditch this and get the Garmin. But I have a Garmin wrist thingy (VivoActive HR) as well.

The VAHR is a bit pricey though. I like it as it is HRM, GPS and true waterproof, not just water resistant. And I can download golf courses to it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

I have no budget to be honest. I really only need something that'll accurately calculate my calories since I use my phone for everything else. It's why I feel a simple HRM would be the best however I am open to suggestions because live in MI where the weather is nice about 50-70% of the year.

With running it's distance covered, and elevation, that is a far more reliable indicator of calorie expenditure then anything else.

Strava or Runkeeper on your phone will do everything you need.

For the volume of running that I do, a lot, I rarely bother with HR.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I could get an answer on if the Garmin chest strap can display real time HR like Polar Flow does, I'd ditch this and get the Garmin.

I have a Fenix 3 HR and a Garmin HRM-run chest strap. The answer to your question is "yes".

• saintor1
    Options

Optical, wrist worn, HR sensors can give from 5-10 days of performance on a charge. And they take about half an hour to charge.

Gimme an example.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

Gimme an example.

Well for a start my VivoSmartHR gives me five days between charges.

Using it to broadcast on ANT+ to a 210XT it was good for a 12 hour ultra that I did last season and was still on half charge at the end.

But as I mentioned upthread, 24/7 HR has negligible value.
  • saintor1
    edited March 2017
    Options

Using it to broadcast on ANT+ to a 210XT it was good for a 12 hour ultra that I did last season and was still on half charge at the end.

My daughter has a VivoSmart HR Plus, I tested it and it is exactly the one I had in mind when I said that I am not prepared to buy one for my self for the reason I explained. BTW she gets 2-3 days max.

I already have a 2 cells, a tablet... I don't want another device to bother with the recharge.

This may be the feature. :)
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smartwatch-powered-by-you-matrix-powerwatch-watch-fitness#/

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

My daughter has a VivoSmart HR Plus, I tested it and it is exactly the one I had in mind when I said that I am not prepared to buy one for my self for the reason I explained. BTW she gets 2-3 days max.

Fair enough, don't buy one.

But going back to what the originator asked...

Three types of device; optical ( wrist or upper arm reading), electrical sending paired to a dedicated head-end ( generally a watch) or electrical sending and paired with a mobile phone. All have strengths and weaknesses.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    Honestly, if I could get an answer on if the Garmin chest strap can display real time HR like Polar Flow does, I'd ditch this and get the Garmin.

I have a Fenix 3 HR and a Garmin HRM-run chest strap. The answer to your question is "yes".

Using Polar Flow or some other app? If it is Polar Flow, I will go get one this morning.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hello!

What polar product have you got? I have the Polar M400 GPS watch and it is fab! Just downloaded a bug fix for polar today even though I hadn't noticed any problems.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Using Polar Flow or some other app? If it is Polar Flow, I will go get one this morning.

This is Garmin hardware so no it doesn't work with the Polar app. I can see real time data from the strap on my watch, and it can be reviewed later on the Garmin Connect app.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

This is Garmin hardware so no it doesn't work with the Polar app. I can see real time data from the strap on my watch, and it can be reviewed later on the Garmin Connect app.

Meh. I want it to show on my tablet so I can watch it as I run on a treadmill. I don't want to have to look at my watch. Just a personal preference. Helps me keep my HR under 155 as I don't like it going above that.

Thanks though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

The VivoActiveHR HR will receive HR data on ANT+, so Polar straps won't work but others will. Your best bet is a Garmin strap. There is little point in an HRM Run or Tri as the head end can't do anything with the run dynamics data that the accelerometer collects.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

The VivoActiveHR HR will receive HR data on ANT+, so Polar straps won't work but others will. Your best bet is a Garmin strap. There is little point in an HRM Run or Tri as the head end can't do anything with the run dynamics data that the accelerometer collects.

Not the question I'm interested in. I use my VAHR when outside, but want the display I get with Polar Flow for on the treadmill. I don't see much of a difference in the calorie burns between the 2 (less than 5% difference) so that's not a concern. Don't even really care if they talk to each other. Just tired of having to reset the Polar so often and would like to try a different one. But not if I can't watch it in real time on my tablet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

@Azdak wrote an excellent piece about using HRMs to calculate calorie burn. Rather than rehash it all here, I'll just post the link to it. Worth a read and I hope it's helpful to you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Not the question I'm interested in. I use my VAHR when outside, but want the display I get with Polar Flow for on the treadmill. I don't see much of a difference in the calorie burns between the 2 (less than 5% difference) so that's not a concern. Don't even really care if they talk to each other. Just tired of having to reset the Polar so often and would like to try a different one. But not if I can't watch it in real time on my tablet.

Get an ANT+ receiver for the tablet and put the VivoActive in broadcast mode.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Meh. I want it to show on my tablet so I can watch it as I run on a treadmill. I don't want to have to look at my watch. Just a personal preference. Helps me keep my HR under 155 as I don't like it going above that.

Thanks though.

Live Track shows your HR in real-time on a web browser but I doubt it'll work indoors.

Also you can set the watch up to vibrate on your wrist and yell at you when you go over 155 bpm. The buzz is pretty noticable.