Question of calories and exercise

My calorie intake goal is 2,000. In order to lose weight, how many calories do I need to burn? That is what I haven't been able to figure out. I'm not sure if I'm doing good or if I need to do more. ( I'm 5'4, 255lbs, active-i workout 30 min twice a day plus 30 min gazelle twice a day And chase 3 toddlers all day)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    2000 calories. Weight loss is already figured in it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jvpiersonmn2013
    jvpiersonmn2013 Posts: 6 Member
    So if I don't work out at all (which I will anyway because I don't want saggy skin
  • JeremiahGetsFit
    JeremiahGetsFit Posts: 6 Member
    2000 Calories is the maximum amount of calories you need to eat to lose your goal, whether that is 1lbs a week or 2lbs a week (you told the system how much you wanted to lose and by when during signup) (theoretically). It factors in your average movement level which you also chose when signing up. So if you follow those you'll lose that much bit if you work extra you might lose more. To prevent saggy skin drink a ton of water to help the elasticity of your skin and focus on weight lifting so that your muscles expand to fit your figure.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Just stay in your calories for now. Worry about the loose skin later, because that's when you'll have it. I'm a freaking shar pei with it.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 902 Member
    If your intake 'goal' is 2000... Is that what MFP gave you to lose weight, or is that what something said your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expendature) is? If that is your TDEE, just eat a bit less than that. If that was what MFP recommended, just eat at that.

If you do decide to exercise, general consensus on the site is allowance of eating back 50% of the calories burned off from the exercise. For example, if you ate 2000 calories, did 200 calories of exercise (there are ways to track on here, I recommend getting a heart rate monitor for accuracy).. Most would recommend eating back about 100 calories if so inclined.

Some don't eat back exercise calories, some do. Depends on the person and intensity of workout, I guess.
  • jvpiersonmn2013
    Thank you all so much for your insight! I've never cared about eating healthy and exercising. Never needed to, until I had kids. Now I'm missing what I once didn't even think about lol. That's so much for responding!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    If your 255 lbs your skin will be stretched I was once 244 and had 3 c sections so my skins stretched I even did tons exercise
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Thank you all so much for your insight! I've never cared about eating healthy and exercising. Never needed to, until I had kids. Now I'm missing what I once didn't even think about lol. That's so much for responding!

What did you weigh pre children ?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Did you enter your stats, a goal weight, and a target rate of loss along with an activity level in MFP? What are those details that you entered?
    Is 2000 cals the goal that MFP provides?

MFP is a NEAT calculator, meaning it calculates a goal for you with a deficit built in based on that info and especially on your target rate of loss (1 lb/week = 500 cal deficit. 2 lb/week = 1000 cal deficit from what MFP thinks you burn based on your other stats). If you do exercise, then you should log and eat back some of those calories since you want to make sure you are fueling your body, not creating too large of a deficit which is hard to keep up with and can have negative effects.

Good luck OP and spend some time reading the stickied 'most helpful forum posts' at the top of the Getting Started section. There's lots of great info in there.
  • jvpiersonmn2013
    size102b wrote: »

What did you weigh pre children ?

180 pre kids. Then I've spent the past 5 years pregnant lol. 4 kids, 3 pregnancies. 3 c-sections all back to back. I'm trying to get back down to my pre kid weight. And I'm trying not to have a lot of flab afterwards.