- net calories days

Options
does anyone ever have a day where they end up being in -net calories for the day and do you let it bother you, I feel I have eaten a lot today but because I had a bad couple days where I went away to spa hotel I have eaten very clean today and worked out a lot at gym so my net calories are around -180 but I am stuffed lol

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, I never have negative net. That's too much of a deficit... even if I had a bad couple of days, I will never go to a negative net extreme.

Eat higher calorie foods if this becomes an issue.
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Everyday, If I eat my exercise calories I gain weight... I've found the magic number that works for me so I'm sticking to that!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Negative net sounds very dangerous to me long term. You are supposed to net at 1000-1200 minimum. If it is one time only then not a big deal.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i blame remmington james and troy lol i been watching all there videos and i got some good low calorie meal ideas my new fave lunch is egg white omelette spinach and tuna
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I've learned that if I'm not hungry I don't force myself to eat. BUT that doesn't happen often:).

• razzapool
    Options
    wont be regular thing i will adjust tomorrow maybe leave a couple yolks in the omelette
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I expect you to be very hungry at some point in the coming days.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Do you mean there's a negative sign and you are 180 calories under your goal? I suspect that's what you actually mean.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Do you mean there's a negative sign and you are 180 calories under your goal? I suspect that's what you actually mean.

I don't think that's what she means.
  • razzapool
    Options
    i didnt plan it i mean if u look at diary i ate loads food lol it just i spend a long time at gym and burned alot calories and all the foods i ate were low cal stuff but the problem was i was stuffed and couldnt face more food i forced a belvita bar down before bed so it took me to about even instead of -
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited March 2017
    Options
    razzapool wrote: »
    i didnt plan it i mean if u look at diary i ate loads food lol it just i spend a long time at gym and burned alot calories and all the foods i ate were low cal stuff but the problem was i was stuffed and couldnt face more food i forced a belvita bar down before bed so it took me to about even instead of -

Would you feed your kid like that? Or dog? Or hamster?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Even when I've been sick, I haven't managed a negative calorie day.

• CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Even when I've been sick, I haven't managed a negative calorie day.

Same here
  • Machka9
    Options
    OK, I had a look at your diary for today ...

Total: 1,843
    Goal: 1,890
    Remaining: 47

That's not negative calories ... that's normal.

We recommend eating 50-90% of your exercise calories back ... and that's what you've done. Keep up the good work!

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't think a day at negative net will kill you, but don't do it on purpose.

Not sure if this has ever happened to me or not. It probably happens (or at least comes close to happening) during some of the more hardcore backpacking trips - I don't log because I have no access to technology out in the wilderness. There is limited food in my pack and a crap ton of calorie-burning exercise taking place. It hasn't killed me yet. But it's only an occasional thing. I wouldn't make a habit of it in real life.

ETA: If you really burned so many calories that you ended up at -net, I'd think you should be ravenous. Maybe you've overestimated your calorie burn?
  • Machka9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I do what he's doing just about every single day. Like I said, it's normal to eat 50-90% of your exercise calories back and thus come in under your goal. But it's not negative net calories. My net calories end up being about 1200 cal.

For example ...

If my goal is 1300 cal ... and I burn 400 cal ... that's 1700 cal. But if I only eat 80% of the 400 cal back + my 1300 cal, that's 1620 cal or a net of 1220 cal. (I think my math is right there. :) )

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I do what he's doing just about every single day. Like I said, it's normal to eat 50-90% of your exercise calories back and thus come in under your goal. But it's not negative net calories. My net calories end up being about 1200 cal.

For example ...

If my goal is 1300 cal ... and I burn 400 cal ... that's 1700 cal. But if I only eat 80% of the 400 cal back + my 1300 cal, that's 1620 cal or a net of 1220 cal. (I think my math is right there. :) )

I agree with your example, but if you go back a couple of days in the diary, there's an entry with what looks like negative net to me.

Total (calories eaten): 1935
    Daily Goal: 3839 (1950 + exercise burned 1889)
    Remaining (left to eat but didn't get eaten): 1904

Sounds like negative net to me. Maybe I'm wrong, though?

Here's my backpacking example:

Total: 2500
    Daily Goal: 4300 (1700 + 2600 hauling heavy crap all day, 14 miles up a steep mountainside.)
    Remaining: 1800

Those are massive deficits. I wouldn't recommend doing that every single day.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Taking saturday into account I had a negative day in that I was 300 under my net goal or had a 618 deficit. To be true negative like the OP is staying or people think they are saying I'd need to burn 3772 +. Some people think that if they have eaten say 1300 and burnt 1300 at the gym anything else is negative.