Help... am I even doing this right :-(

Options
saminleo
saminleo Posts: 14 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all...
due to a knee operation/injury 6 months ago... my weight went from 76--80kg

From first of Jan I made a New Years resolutions to get into shape and fit enough to play the sport I love (football)

I have gone from 80kg to 70kg in 3 months

Body fat % is down to 10%
(25 years of age 5ft 8)

I have been checking the scales every single morning when I wake up...

Only recently I have noticed that I've been under eating according to a lot of peoples advice/ opinions. My daily intake has been around 1000-1200 calories , mainly protein

I work in a office and drive everywhere
However I follow a pretty intense gym plan (HITT). And play football atleast 1-2 a week
I have also been walking 10,000 every single day since Jan 1st
I'm trying to increase my calories intake to 1500 until I drop to 68kg and then maintain it there...
I have set my custom goal as following
Carbs - 45% (169 grams)
Protein - 25%(94g)
Fat -30%. (50g)

I got my protein target very easy
My carbs I try to keep below 150g (not sure if this is even healthy)

I'm struggling to hit 1500 calories and keeping carbs low...

I also have 2 main questions....
1. Do I weight my chicken before or after it's grilled
2. Do I weight my rice before or after it's cooked

So far I have been weighting the chicken before it's cooked and rice after... I have searched everywhere and I'm struggling to find information

My food break down daily is very similar...

Breakfast
-1 slice of toast
-100-140g of egg whites
-20 grams of almonds
-sun-pat peanut butter 8g
-rowse honey 8g
-banana
Calories around 400-420

Next meal -
-high protein pasta 75g
-smoked salmon 50g
Calories 350

Next meal
-White rice cooked plain 100g
-grilled chicken 250g

Calories around 350

Now from here because I panic due to carbs creeping in I grill chicken again.

-Grilled chicken 100g
-1 Apple or orange

Calorie 170ish

That's around 1300

Can anyone please help me get to 1500 calories and give me their opinion on this plan...

Thanks

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    As to your questions it depends on the entry you used, if you use a raw entry for chicken weigh it raw if you use a grilled entry weigh it grilled. Rice would be better to weight dry as depending on how long you cook it for as to how much liquid it absorbs, so dry would be more accurate.

Why are you being so restrictive, surely you want to be able to maintain the weightloss.

Aim to lose the last 2kg at 0.5 or even 0.25kg a week, maybe try and eat a larger variety of foods I see no vegetables and very little fruit. Green leafy veg and berries are good when trying to keep carbs low. Have a couple of whole eggs, cheese, yogurt or nuts as an extra snack or two.

But it really hasn't got to be complicated or restictive I have lost 30kg eating everything I like.

As an example today:
    2 boiled eggs with a slice of buttered toast.

Greek style yogurt with blueberries

A full roast chicken dinner consisting of: roast potatoes, roast chicken leg and wing, 2 Yorkshire puddings, honey roast root vegetables and gravy.

And as a snack 2 gingernut biscuits

Tomorrow is also already planned:
    Porridge oats with sultanas.

Red pepper and tomato soup with a small wholemeal bread roll

Pizza and garlic bread for dinner

Snacks: 1 pear and 2 gingernut biscuits
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Do you want to eat like this for the rest of your life? It looks pretty boring and bland to me! You don't have to torture yourself to lose weight. Eat what you like to eat and log it, stay at the calories mfp gives you, eat back some of the calories you get from exercise. It's not that complicated and doesn't require lower carbs unless that is a way you like to eat. This has been a good week for me. I have eaten enchiladas, steak and shrimp, tater tot casserole, and sushi. Last night hubby and I split a bottle of wine (I saved some calories during the week and used them for a treat last night ). I don't think I would last long if I was as restrictive as you are.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    70kg at 5'8" is very much in the healthy weight range. Are you male or female, OP?
  • saminleo
    Options
    @Duchy82 @akmomof7 thanks for your reply !!!
    I was soooo motivated to lose weight I forgot what normal food tastes like
    I'm only 2kg away from my target and getting pretty ripped.
    I'm just keeping count of calories and enjoying food. Have to be honest still going to grill chicken lol.
    Thanks for the wise words

@misskarne 25 years old. 5ft8. Male
    Should of mentioned it before lol sorry

Have a good day all :-)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food after it's cooked because that's how I'm going to be eating it but a lot of people I've noticed say they weigh it before cooking it. Both options are usually on the list when I add them to my diary.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Dang 10% body fat? I would assume at this point you are looking to get shredded. So you're entering into body building levels of diet control.

I would just worry about hitting your 1500cal goal. Your macros look fine. You can try to fine tune them, but I doubt it'll have a significant effect.

Just weigh the food after if you are determined to weigh it. Generally though that's saved for people are can't adjust quantities themselves. At your current numbers you could fib 20-50cal a day and still be fine. Especially working out that much. You may even still be under eating at 1500 on really busy days.
  • saminleo
    Options
    @perkymommy I think rice I'm going to weigh it before cooking and chicken after cooking... I grilled around 300g of chicken and it only was around 200g after lol but I agree with your point

@robthephotog Yh currently exactly on 10% trying to get the belly more toned and abs more Bold lol
    I'm just going to shred and maintain this bulking and shredding business scares the hell out of me... I fear once you go up imagine you can't come back down lol

I'm still struggling to hit my 1500... it's not that I can't eat. I usually eat a whole chicken l, peri peri chips, corn on a cob, hummus, sometimes garlic bread with toooo much sauce lol. That's usually my "cheat meal" 4000 cals or so lol

The problem is I don't know what to eat
    Current I'm set at max weight loss on MFP once I "maintain" it's going to be 2000. Im going to struggle big time
    I'm assuming that I need to up my carbs dramatically when the time comes ?
    :-(
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Eat anything to get to your calorie goal. It really doesn't matter.

Also MFP is set up so you log and eat back some of your exercise calories- aim for 50% and increase if you are losing too fast.

Losing too fast encourages muscle loss, especially when you have little fat to lose. Aim for .5 lbs a week.

I do think you are a little low on your protein, you need a little more on a deficit to help with muscle retention. Try for 1g per lbs of your ideal bodyweight.

Cheers, h.
  • saminleo
    Options
    @middlehaitch Thanks for your reply...
    Do you think going back to normal goals for macro and not custom....
    I feel like no matter what I do Im about to go over my carbs! Im hitting about 150-160g of carb a day!
    So maybe just stick to what MFP has set as for targets and not lower the carbs?

1g per lb of my body type?

Im 79.5kg that's about 175lb ....

Having 175g of protein a day is not a little too much?
    I eat around 100...

Thanks in advance
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I eat 80-100g protein and weigh 100 lbs.

Maybe set your macros to 40 carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein. That gives you a little more protein and a little less carbs than the MFP regular breakdown.
    See what works best for your eating habits.

Don't worry too much about your carbs. It really is much more important to get your calories in line with your energy expenditure than your exact micro breakdown. Though protein is very important for muscle retention when in a deficit.
    Also don't worry about food being 'clean'. All food has some nutritional value it is balancing them so you are well nourished and satisfied (not too full; not too hungry) that is important.

So if you have eaten well all day, or have planned to, and have cals left over, eat something frivolous that you enjoy. I would go for a glass of wine and a cake; you may go for something a little more savoury.

Cheers, h.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    saminleo wrote: »
    Now from here because I panic due to carbs creeping in I grill chicken again.

This seems unhealthy.

Also....

https://youtu.be/a72V4NhzTBA

https://youtu.be/CLuI0wdY8A4
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I eat 80-100g protein and weigh 100 lbs.

Maybe set your macros to 40 carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein. That gives you a little more protein and a little less carbs than the MFP regular breakdown.
    See what works best for your eating habits.

I'm 5'3", 149lbs and eat 130g of protein a day

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat 200 calories worth of peanut butter.

1500 calories, done.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Also, eat more.
    You are a 25 year old male who is 173 cm tall and weighs 70 kg while doing Moderate Exercise.

Your Maintenance Calories
    2,683 calories per day
    18,779 calories per week

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,731 calories per day
    Sedentary 2,077 calories per day
    Light Exercise 2,380 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,683 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,986 calories per day
    Athlete 3,289 calories per

You could lose on lots more glorious calories. Plus you won't end up looking like an emaciated bag of *kitten* and should be able to maximise exercise potential. Surely you don't feel 100% doing intense HIIT and football whilst eating 1200 calories a day?
  • saminleo
    Options
    @middlehaitch again thanks for your reply...
    im going to try 40% carb 30% fat 30% protein!! and go with that...
    It currently puts me on like 110g of protein I'm sure once I change MFP from lose weight to maintain it would change a lot...
    im going to try and hit 1500 calories until i hit 68kg then from there to maintain my weight im going to increase to 2000

i might sneak in a cheeky donut or something along those lines to meet the targets lol

@missh1967 thanks for the video its really helped!...

@cityruss that’s a very good idea... ill have some peanut butter with apple a lot of people have suggested that
    im shocked and humbled by the support

@cityruss i have increased intake of my calories... hopefully moving forward ill reach the goals that i want...
    well to be honest from a young age i have had a very very weird intake of food... I’ve played professional football and there was times that i played in tournaments or matches with 0 food or 3 McDonalds burgers

even with HITT training i don’t feel any problems im not sure how my body is able to cope... i try to feed my body every 2hours and 30min until i hit 1300-1500 calories
    i wake up around 7am... so by 7.30 I’ve had my breakfast.... so by 5.30pm I’ve had all my food and i usually go gym around 9pm.. only thing i have is preoworkout supplement 30min before gym
    i don’t feel like i lack energy or any issues its rather weird i know

p.s. thanks everyone for helping out
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Eat 200 calories worth of peanut butter.

1500 calories, done.

And this is only 2 T of peanut butter!

Another almost 200 calorie option is 1/4 cup (28 grams) of pecans.