Is there such thing as too much protein?

Options
Hi everyone! I am on a weight loss program that includes nutritional shakes. Each shake has a protein count of 24 g. I usually drink their recommended 2 shakes, per day. Once I have my regular meal at night (which includes a lean meat such as chicken or fish) I'm usually close to 100 g of protein which is 40 g over what MFP suggests. Is there such a bad thing as going over? I read somewhere that as a woman, too much protein can be a bad thing. Am I completely wrong?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can cause kidney problems, but 100 grams is nowhere near too much, and depending on your stats is going to be much better for you in regards to muscle retention
  • Sunshine373
    Sunshine373 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Glad it's going to do better than do harm
  • hogwartz_rulez
    hogwartz_rulez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is definitely such a thing as eating too much protein. Experts say that the pitfalls of excessive protein include dangerous or even life threatening conditions such as hyperaminoacidemia (excess amino acids), hyperammonemia (excess ammonia), hyperinsulinemia (excess insulin), not to mention uncomfortable symptoms like nausea and diarrhea. Excess protein is defined as getting more than 35% of your total daily calories from protein. Bodybuilders and hardcore fitness competitors most often recommend taking in one gram per pound of bodyweight. Interestingly, researchers who have studied low-carb/ high-protein diets also agree that one gram per pound of body weight is the max one should ingest.

Here’s what a typical day might look like for a 136-pound woman who trains at an advanced level (assuming she has 19% body fat, 110 pounds lean):

Breakfast 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg (14g protein); lunch 4 oz chicken breast (21g protein); post-workout protein drink (20g protein); dinner 4 oz salmon (25g protein). Total protein for the day comes to about 80 grams, which happens to be about 25% of her daily caloric intake of 1200 calories. This is well below the theoretical max-safe intake of about two grams per pound of body weight per day. On the other hand, it is well above the recommended daily intake of protein, which is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight (i.e., 0.36 grams per pound).

Remember, too, that protein is only one of several essential nutrients, so don’t forget about other healthy foods. What often happens when people become obsessed with consuming a lot of protein is that they begin to overlook other nutrient-rich fare, such as fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains like quinoa. Fruits tend to get a bad rap com- pared to vegetables, because they contain more carbs, but they’re loaded with disease-preventing antioxidants, as well as belly-flattening fiber, which makes them a necessary part of a healthy diet. Put fresh fruits, veggies, and whole grains on your plate, as well as the usual lean meats, fish, poultry, and low-fat dairy products.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Excess protein is defined as getting more than 35% of your total daily calories from protein...

What's your source for that definition of "excess protein"? I've never seen anybody state that protein intake levels that low are dangerous.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I get my information from registered dietitians and it is also handy to purchase the textbooks they use as nutrition studies students. In the 2013 Sports and Exercise Nutrition textbook by McArdle and Katch the book clearly spells out why too much protein is not beneficial. "Despite the beliefs of many coaches, trainers, and athletes, no benefit accrues from eating excessive protein." ".83g protein per kilogram body mass represents the recommended daily intake." Goal weight divided by 2.2 = weight in kg. Multiply by .83 = daily intake. On a high protein low carb diet "Carbohydrate availability affects the metabolic mixture catabolized for energy. Adequate carbohydrate intake preserves tissue proteins (the body will not have to convert protein to energy with adequate carb intake, therefore carbohydrates ensure the body has adequate protein available for its intended purpose which is tissue maintenance, repair, and growth) Glycogen reserves deplete under three conditions: starvation, low carbohydrate diets, prolonged strenuous exercise. This triggers glucose synthesis from both protein and fat. The price paid strains the body's protein components, particularly muscle protein."
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I consume 1g per my body weight, I've been doing it for years, if I'm trying to build more muscle or low carbing I will increase it however not for long. As long as you are consuming 0.5 - 1 grams your fine. It will cause damage if your are overly consuming high amounts of protein for a long time.

Also keep in mind you won't always consume the exact amount per grams. For example 130g of protein and hit that target every single day it will fluctuate between 10g-20g. Depending on the protein of your choice. If your weighin your protein you will get close.

It's best to get your protein from foods not supplementation, they add extra junk that your body doesn't need. Making it more difficult to break down and utilize properly in your body.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Interestingly, researchers who have studied low-carb/ high-protein diets also agree that one gram per pound of body weight is the max one should ingest.

I have never seen any study to support yhe above. Eating 1 gram per pound of body weight is fine. Unnecessary, probably, but not a max.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A 100g day of protein would be a very low day for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    A 100g day of protein would be a very low day for me.

Hell, a 200g day would be low for me. Inb4 kidney failure.
  • Sunshine373
    Sunshine373 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses everyone! I feel much better with the amount I'm eating each day, now :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I an 66 and weigh 160# and have eaten an ave of 173g of protein representing an ave of 34% of my daily cal intake in protein over 9 months (and as much as 250g or 45% of my cals in a day) w/o any dietary or medical problems whatsoever.