Fitbits and steps and losing!

Options
Soo I got a Fitbit charge 2 about a week ago.. and it's set at a goal of 10,000 steps per day and adds calories as the day goes on depending on my activity. If I do in fact reach 10,000 or more I have 1200 calories typically per day, which I've been sticking with and losing, slowly but surely. I am 5'2" and have 16 pounds to lose total. If I stick with this.. is it sustainable to keep losing? I don't think lowering calories will necessarily be good for my health in the future. Thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low given what we know
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    1200 net calories is the lowest you should go for suitable nutrition.

Are you logging accurately? weighing your food and checking nutritional info is correct? It may be that you are actually eating more than 1200 calories.

How long have you been logging? It may be too soon to be seeing results. It can take 4-6 weeks to start seeing your weight drop at the rate you've set.
  • 232good
    232good Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »
    1200 is too low given what we know

For my height???
  • 232good
    Options

Are you logging accurately? weighing your food and checking nutritional info is correct? It may be that you are actually eating more than 1200 calories.

How long have you been logging? It may be too soon to be seeing results. It can take 4-6 weeks to start seeing your weight drop at the rate you've set.

I'm still losing, I just started about a week ago.. but I'm thinking at some point maybe the 10k steps and 1200 calories may not be enough? If the calories are too low like the guy said above I wonder why my Fitbit recommends those calories.. weird!
  • sophielouise1476
    sophielouise1476 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How are you finding the fitbit?
  • 232good
    Options
    How are you finding the fitbit?

What do you mean?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    232good wrote: »

I'm still losing, I just started about a week ago.. but I'm thinking at some point maybe the 10k steps and 1200 calories may not be enough? If the calories are too low like the guy said above I wonder why my Fitbit recommends those calories.. weird!

What I'm getting at is that if you aren't logging properly you may already be losing at a higher calorie intake. 1200 is the lowest recommended calorie intake on MFP, usually at the most agressive weight loss rate (check your MFP settings) and isn't sustainable in the long run for a lot of people.

You can work out your approximate maintenance by using a TDEE calculator (you can google them) as long as you're eating in a calorie deficit below that you will lose weight, you don't have to go as low as possible and it can be done at a slower rate that will be more sustainable.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    232good wrote: »

As long as you're in calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.

Generally 1200cals per day net is the minimum recommended by various national health authorities for sustainable health. Going below that on a consistent, medium to long term basis, bears a significant risk of emerging health issues. Essentially getting your essential nutrients becomes a challenge.

• 232good
    Options
    I seem to not lose weight eating above 1200 calories, so I am sticking to it and hopefully getting all the nutrients I need =)