Which Polar HRM do u recommend....?

Options
ok.... I've come to understand that 90% of HRM users on MFP either own or highly recommend the Polar range of HRMs. So I would like to go ahead and buy one. Now, I'm getting married soon and money is veeeeerrrrrrrry tight so I'm looking on eBay for a good deal... In my budget, (£35) I can afford a FT1, FT4 or FT7... Common sense tells me the higher the number, the better the spec, but I just want to make sure it tells me my cal burn (they all come with chest straps) So..... Could you please just tell me, if you have one of the above mentioned, how good, what does it do and how easy is it to use???? I don't need to know about the other models, just the 1, 4 and 7.

Thank you!!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    FT1 does not count calories.. that's just a basic HRM.

FT4 and FT7 are basically the same.. except the FT7 has a few more bells and whistles then the FT4. Both count calories.

I personally have the FT7.. easy to use/set up. Plus the chest strap is comfortable.
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just got my wife the ft4 & she's loving it. Thought the chest strap would bother her, but says it doesn't at all. Works great.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Just got the FT4. It's pretty nice. chest strap is comfy, gives HR, calories burned, time in zone, etc.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Never heard of an FT1 but the FT4 and FT7 are identical except that the 7 stores more sessions of workout data (date, time, cals burned, avg HR, max HR, time in zone) and can transfer that data to your computer if you buy the optional adapter. I personally use the FT4 and love it.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi my darling! I bought the very sexy, RED Polar FT7. I like it very much! It is easy to use and I have not had any trouble with it. It does more than I have actually taken the time to figure out. But I can read the data and that is what I want. It keeps time, burned cals, and of course your HR..and you can reset it easily. Plus it has a record of all of the data at your finger tips.

Just do it! Go Red!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it. The chest strap is comfy and easy to read monitor

Pam
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 (it was cheaper than the FT7 :laugh: ). It does everything it says it will do.

Setting it up wasn't too difficult.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! This leads me to my next question: It's £35.50 for the ft7, grey, or £23.99 for the ft4, ice blue... For the £12 difference, what are the extra 'bells and whistles'??
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Go to their site, compare products and see which one meet your needs and the same time does not cost you a fortune.
  • schninie82
    Options
    Go to their site, compare products and see which one meet your needs and the same time does not cost you a fortune.

I rather just ask the direct questions I need answering on here, it's much quicker, handier and people don't generally reply unless they have the answer to my specific question(s).... Thanks tho!
  • dad106
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! This leads me to my next question: It's £35.50 for the ft7, grey, or £23.99 for the ft4, ice blue... For the £12 difference, what are the extra 'bells and whistles'??

The FT4 does not come in ice blue... The FT4 comes in Silver or a pinkish beige color.

The Ft7 holds more workouts then the FT4, lets you upload you're data to your computer if you buy the optional data transfer cord, and has a different way of calculating your zones then the FT4.

The FT7 also does not come in grey.. it comes in black/silver, black/red, black/gold or red/silver.. I'd double check the buyer before you do anything.. cause those colors sound a bit off to me.
  • lauraaaaxo
    lauraaaaxo Posts: 55 Member
    Options

how and where did you manage to find them at this price?! i'd love to know lol because all the ones ive seen are about £50:(
  • schninie82
    Options

The FT4 does not come in ice blue... The FT4 comes in Silver or a pinkish beige color.

The Ft7 holds more workouts then the FT4, lets you upload you're data to your computer if you buy the optional data transfer cord, and has a different way of calculating your zones then the FT4.

The FT7 also does not come in grey.. it comes in black/silver, black/red, black/gold or red/silver.. I'd double check the buyer before you do anything.. cause those colors sound a bit off to me.

eBay 290588288134
    eBay 320731017439
  • schninie82
    Options

eBay 290588288134
    eBay 320731017439

Sorry, you are right, I asked a friend to look for me, I posted incorrect, they are not the FT range, it's the F range...
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'd check Amazon. That's where I got mine. I don't know the conversion rate between US and UK though, so I'm no help there :)
  • dad106
    Options

eBay 290588288134
    eBay 320731017439

Sorry, you are right, I asked a friend to look for me, I posted incorrect, they are not the FT range, it's the F range...

Yea the F range is the older models.. so you're looking at the F4 and the F6.. and they are both good from what I hear. Only problem is that they don't make them anymore, so servicing them maybe a problem.
  • schninie82
    Options

eBay 290588288134
    eBay 320731017439

Yea the F range is the older models.. so you're looking at the F4 and the F6.. and they are both good from what I hear. Only problem is that they don't make them anymore, so servicing them maybe a problem.

Thank you!! :-)
  • adrianmg
    adrianmg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Think main differences are (i) FT7 can store more workout history, (ii) FT7 demarcates "zones" for fat-burn and cardio. (ii) is why I got one, but in practice I don't find it that useful. If you're logging as you go along (ie same day), then you may not need the history either. In hindsight I would have saved the money and got the FT4.
  • opher
    opher Posts: 19
    Options
    I have the FT7 and am very happy with it. I use it both indoor doing workouts, playing racquetball, and even cycling long endurance rides. As you can imagine, this means the chest strap is (relatively) comfortable. The main reason I bought it over the FT4 was that you can replace the battery yourself without voiding the warranty. On the FT4 you need to send it in to have the battery replaced.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The main reason I bought it over the FT4 was that you can replace the battery yourself without voiding the warranty. On the FT4 you need to send it in to have the battery replaced.

My FT4 has user replaceable batteries in the watch and the strap.