How to maintain and not go crazy!!!

Options
LH2011
LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
Delighted to say I have reached my goal weight and I changed my calories to maintain and now have a amazing 1860 calories which just seems huge I was recently able to up them to 1340 and have to say found it hard to always eat them. How do I eat these 1860 and make sure I am still eating good food I have a terrible sweet tooth and I afraid that with this new found "freedom" I'm going to go mad and then the weight will go back on??

Replies

• janetbefit
    janetbefit Posts: 11
    Options
    You are so right to be aware of that. Knowledge is power and you are a step ahead of the game. You could always use those calories on good foods that are higher in calories like olive oil, walnuts and raw almonds, avocados, yogurt, oats etc.

Congrats!
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! :flowerforyou:

And *bump* because I'm also curious about this
  • angstypirates
    angstypirates Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Train yourself to eat larger portions of the same good foods you've been eating. I often halve portion sizes as I'm trying to lose weight, so perhaps move back up to full portion sizes or 1.5 portions? I second the idea of introducing high calorie, good-for-you foods like avocados/nuts/beans/all natural peanut butter.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!

That's been a thought in my mind as well, along with having all the extra calories, how do you not explode immediately since your body is used to 500 less calories a day?
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I increased by 50 onto my daily target every week until I got there - makes it less of a shock!
    Well done BTW.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    bump

I will, of course, be excited when I reach my goal weight, but the thought of maintaining terrifies me!
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I increased by 50 onto my daily target every week until I got there - makes it less of a shock!
    Well done BTW.

This is a great idea never thought of that I was more on the lines of having to reach the 1860 from this minute on, but gradully working up to that makes much more sence. Thanks for all the new food suggestions they will be going on my shopping list for next week. I would be lost without MFP thanks guys.
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    *bump* because I am wondering about this also! Congrats to you on reaching your goal! :)
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm trying to ease into maintenance because I just knew (and I was right!) that I would find it a lot harder than losing the weight. This week I'm trying to not log my calories, but instead just be mindful of what and how I'm eating. I'm keeping up with my regular exercise, and watching to see how my weight reacts to this. I would like to think that I've been eating this way long enough to have some idea of what constitutes "overeating," but we'll see.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    First CONGRATS!!! Ill be following this thread as I hope to be where you are soon :)
  • epoint
    Options
    I'm checking back in on this thread to say that this is day 9 of NOT tracking my calories and so far, so good. :)

Even though I wouldn't mind losing another 2 lbs, I decided to start trying maintenance by just eating healthy foods (surely I know how to do that by now, lol) and beginning to figure out how to live my life not tethered to my food diary. Time will tell, but I've felt pretty good about it this week. No weight gained (or lost), and I find myself automatically trying to make the best choices even if I don't have to account for them anywhere. I have looked up a calorie count on something a couple of times for foods that I haven't checked before, but mostly....here I am, living my life!
  • epoint
    Options
    Woo-hoo! Another week has passed, and I'm bumping this thread to say again, so far, so good. I started trying to maintain when I was within a couple of lbs of my goal. Still not tracking calories but eating the way that I know I should without obsessing about it...and I've lost another pound! And this past week I was travelling and ended up eating at a couple of big unlimited buffets, and also attended a couple of birthday parties!

I've learned so much about how to eat since I've been using this website. Life is good.
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    As others have said, increase portions of healthy food. As I have increased my physical activity I have needed to increase calories, I did it by adding some carbs, peanut butter, etc. Some days I have found myself net -5-600 calories at 9pm and literally had to eat some nuts and fruit to get me over the hump.

Congrats to all who are maintaining and good luck to those still working towards their goal.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for reaching your goal. No need to make eating rocket science as by now you know whats good for you and whats not so good for you. Don't chain yourself to calorie counting or even a scale if your clothes fit then you haven't gained. If they get tight then maybe you need to cut back a bit if need be. Losing weight is a DIET. Maintaining weight is a lifestyle change. Good Luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're doing really well. I am coming up to the same issue, and i like the idea of upping my cals by 100 at a time, as the maintenance seems a lot higher than the cals i am eating now.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump... I will be there soon. :happy: