My (hopefully interesting) experience with Exercise Calories

Options
Summary for those who don’t read long posts:

a. When I was 85 pounds overweight, I never ate back exercise calories (worked great)
b. When I was 25 pounds overweight, I got weaker and lost some muscle (still lost weight)
c. Now at 10 pounds overweight, I eat them all back, feel great, and am still losing (although slower)

So, everyone’s right. Don’t them back! Eat them back! Eat some back! It’s all good advice…for me; the effectiveness of each approach was determined by where I was in the process.

Long Version

I see a lot of posts, replies, and comments regarding exercise calories here; and I (think) I feel like many of you who roll their eyes and say, “here we go again with the exercise calorie debate…”

Well, I thought I would share MY experience for those who like to read posts to find nuggets of insight to their weight loss and fitness experience (as I have) from what others have actually been through, on the hope that it may be something they can learn from.

This is the part of my post where I say I am not a medical doctor (I’m actually a federal government employee who works in the cyber security field), and that your mileage may vary.

I was 265ish around Halloween last year (2010), and decided it was time for me get busy living instead of trying to fork and knife myself to death at 42. I am about 5’ 5’, so my BMI was around 40ish…not too good. I quit having 3500 calorie lunches with 3 cokes and wound up around 225 by January 1st. In January, February, and March I started to really watch my intake and got on my elliptical a few times…I dropped about 10 pounds per month.

In April, I started logging calories and exercise religiously, and working out every day. I never ate my calories back because overeating was the reason I got so heavy to begin with. I just couldn’t see the logic in eating calories I’d burned up…I was still trying to lose weight, and it was working just fine. I figured I’d eat them back once I was on maintain mode (and secretly I’d hoped I wouldn’t have to work out so damned much once I reached my goal, so less to eat back).

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to maintenance…plateaus, woozy days, some workout fatigue, and even a short summer cold. My honest opinion is that I was not eating enough. This seems so weird for me to say…I’m not sure anyone I know would ever associate me with not eating enough. However, what worked for me for 6 or 7 months was no longer working for me. I felt like I was breaking down. On top of all that…my scale stopped moving for the first significant time in 7 months.

I am guessing I am not the only one here who tried to bust a plateau by eating less…it totally backfired. I felt like crap, my post-workout fatigue made me question a lot of things (Am I too old for this? Do I have some injury or illness I can’t readily identify? ) and I still had 20 pounds before I hit a healthy BMI. I actually thought that if this is how I’m going to feel at a healthy BMI, I’m not sure I want to get there.

So…I started eating back some calories…some fat, some protein, even (YIKES!) some carbs. I started losing again, and even better…I feel completely better. The whole reason I’m writing this is to try to express how much better I feel than I did a month ago. Now I work hard to fill in the gaps I had previously created for myself (500 calories+ per day in some cases) with healthy and beneficial foods. It’s changed the recent course of my fitness experience and renewed my hope that I can reach a healthy BMI and still feel healthy.

In summary:

Don’t eat them if you still have a bunch of fat to lose…the muscle loss won’t be that significant. The closer you get to a healthy BMI, the more important it will be to replenish your body if you are doing a lot of exercise.

Thanks for reading.

Section for those who want the numbers/methods/etc:

85ish pounds lost. 245 to 160 in 9 months.
First 3 months; cut the junk food and seconds, try to move around.
Second three months; cut portions and exercise more.
Last three months; count every calorie, follow MFB guidelines for fat/protein/carbs, eat cleaner, exercise a lot.

I do 500 calories of cardio six times a week (elliptical or running), and situps/pushups three times a week. My MFP is set to 2 lbs/week, and seemed to be going at about that rate until recently…now around 1/week.

My diet steers mostly clear of processed sugar and processed carbs…not a lot of chips/white bread/candy/cookies. I eat a lot of tuna/salmon/yogurt/almonds/salads for breakfast and lunch…with a normal dinner every night with my wife and kids. I drink a ton of water.

Replies

• Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Good post.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Great post!!
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, the best on this topic I've seen yet! Well done for all your hard work and well done for summarising and explaining yourself so well (many fail at this and spark off very heated arguments because of it). It makes a lot of sense to me so I'm trying this out myself :smile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Great post. I think a lot of people on MFP fail to realize what one should do at 50 pounds overweight will be drastically different than what one should do when 10 pounds overweight. For me, the whole game changed when I came to within 15 pounds of goal and had to up my calories. It is like suddenly I had a different body, responding differently to everything I did.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress! Thank you for your post!
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    Didn't read the whole thing (too long sorry lol) but from what i read i agree... when im bulking or maintaining i eat my excersise calories+a lil more... when cutting i don't eat excersise calories back...

also every single human body is different some with fast matabolism can eat the cals back and still loose others will actuly gain weight so you just have to experiment..
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great chronological post of your success and trials with exercise calories! I agree that what works for one person doesn't work for all. There is a lot of good advice out there about exercise calories eating them back, not eating them back, etc but it comes down to what is working for the individual in the moment. You had success not eating them when you were the biggest with the most to lose, now that you are in reaching distance of your goal you need to eat those calories. It makes perfect sense. Its logical. Great job on your success!!!!!!
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    Great advice! My stance on the great 'eating back exercise calories' has always been 'I dont eat them back, but I am aware that this might be something I need to play about with as the weeks / months roll on'

Listen to what your body is telling you - its a clever tool!
  • mike20603
    mike20603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people on MFP fail to realize what one should do at 50 pounds overweight will be drastically different than what one should do when 10 pounds overweight. For me, the whole game changed when I came to within 15 pounds of goal and had to up my calories. It is like suddenly I had a different body, responding differently to everything I did.

OK...I was trying say this (as well), and you did so for me perfectly. Thank you.
  • pooksMS
    pooksMS Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for this post and very well written!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Funny you wrote that because that is exactly what I was planning to do because right now the minimum 1200-1300 calories is working for me without eating the exercise calories and I do exercise for about 45min-1 hr but I still have about 70 more lbs and Im still seeing good numbers coming off the scale and my plan was that when I start to plateau at a smaller weight I was going to start eating more exercise calories so thanks for the advice/information
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fabulous post - well said, and experienced!
  • KotyTyler
    KotyTyler Posts: 3,594 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love your post!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Good post and congratulations on your weight loss! You've done wonderfully :flowerforyou:
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    Great info!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Great post! Hoping others will read it and consider your points :smile:
  • mamamia29
    mamamia29 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, im at the point where i need to eat my exercise calories and yes it is working!
    Well said & well done on ur loss : )
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Wonderfull love it!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd keel over if I didn't eat my exercise calories! Great informative post.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input on this, great journey for you:drinker: