IF and fasted training

Options
Two weeks I had a two hour workout and because I'm doing intermittent fasting I didn't want to eat before my workout... I ended up feeling rather nauseous, weak and kept getting repeated cramps in my feet, yesterday I tried eating a load of nuts about an hour before, but it didnt help. Does anyone know why this is and what I can do about it?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What is the workout, were you hydrated, have you done shorter workouts while fasted? How long have you been following IF, what it your overall calorie deficit?
  • Guinevere_22
    Guinevere_22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The workout was BodyCombat and BodyBalance classes - so cardio. I had 1l of water with me which I drank during class. I didn't find the length a problem as the nausea hit me during the high intensity and not so much with the Balance class which is slower. I've done previous workouts fasted, but never such intense ones. I've been following IF for just shy of a month now. My BMR is 1453 and I eat about 1600 cal/day
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I think cramping would be a sodium deficiency. Maybe drink a Gatorade?
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Could be a potassium deficiency. I've had cramping problems in the past during heavy cardio workouts You may try eating a banana 20 to 30 minutes preworkout and/or adding an intraworkout supplement to your water. I use Muscle Tech's Amino Build which works for me, but I'm sure you can use another equivalent product.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The workout was BodyCombat and BodyBalance classes - so cardio. I had 1l of water with me which I drank during class. I didn't find the length a problem as the nausea hit me during the high intensity and not so much with the Balance class which is slower. I've done previous workouts fasted, but never such intense ones. I've been following IF for just shy of a month now. My BMR is 1453 and I eat about 1600 cal/day

Sounds like it was the higher intensity that threw you for a loop. Many people experience nausea during intense workouts. Could even be that you drank the water too fast? The foot cramping seems like you may not be used to to that much jumping and moving and your feet aren't strong enough yet. Were you barefoot?
  • Guinevere_22
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Sounds like it was the higher intensity that threw you for a loop. Many people experience nausea during intense workouts. Could even be that you drank the water too fast? The foot cramping seems like you may not be used to to that much jumping and moving and your feet aren't strong enough yet. Were you barefoot?

I wore shoes for the combat class but went barefoot for the balance class, which is when I got cramps. I've ordered some supplements for my water up help the cramps.

Any suggestions for the nausea? Well it subside if I keep at it?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cramping is generally driven by an electrolyte issues. How much sodium are you consuming?

And personally, I could never do fasted workouts. I was always nauseated.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A sports drink (carbs and electrolytes) may well be better for energy than nuts (fat & protein).
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    A sports drink (carbs and electrolytes) may well be better for energy than nuts (fat & protein).

Totally agree with this...
    Also:
    1. You could have been dehydrated (dark urine color is clear sign).
    2. Sodium and electrolytes are essential for retaining water -- if you are deficient in these minerals you are more likely to be dehydrated as well.
    3. Sodium (worth mentioning again) : Personal I like to use sea salt on my food.
    4. Potassium consumption
    5. Magnesium consumption
    6. Calcium deficiency can increase the chances of cramping -- since I don't drink dairy very much I take it in a pill form with food.

If you tried IF and felt horrible -- well I would back off a bit and try with some carbs/protein/etc prior to working out... Stick with your routine for a while and then perhaps give IF a try again. If you still feel like crap and you're doing all the things above I would just avoid IF.
  • Guinevere_22
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Cramping is generally driven by an electrolyte issues. How much sodium are you consuming?

And personally, I could never do fasted workouts. I was always nauseated.

My sodium is pretty good, I eat rock salt mostly. I also eat plenty of bananas and dairy so can't imagine it's calcium or potassium, then again I might not absorb them well... either way I agree that adding a mineral and vitamin drink before seems a good idea.
    _Bro wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

Totally agree with this...
    Also:
    1. You could have been dehydrated (dark urine color is clear sign).
    2. Sodium and electrolytes are essential for retaining water -- if you are deficient in these minerals you are more likely to be dehydrated as well.
    3. Sodium (worth mentioning again) : Personal I like to use sea salt on my food.
    4. Potassium consumption
    5. Magnesium consumption
    6. Calcium deficiency can increase the chances of cramping -- since I don't drink dairy very much I take it in a pill form with food.

If you tried IF and felt horrible -- well I would back off a bit and try with some carbs/protein/etc prior to working out... Stick with your routine for a while and then perhaps give IF a try again. If you still feel like crap and you're doing all the things above I would just avoid IF.

Didn't seem dehydrated, but it could well be electrolyte imbalance, I sweat a lot in combat class and don't a multivitamins or an electrolyte supplement.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Two essential supplements are a multivitamin and fat source (fish oil, flaxseed oil, ground golden flax, coconut oil). Also, if you are doing a combat class be sure and hydrate properly before hand and bring some water.

Water is anabolic but like all things don't overdo it or there is a price to pay :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Cramping is generally driven by an electrolyte issues.

That's true for systemic cramps (multiple locations). Cramps in one spot are usually a localized circulation issue - reduced flow of electrolytes into that area, usually from tightness. Pretty common to get foot cramps from not enough arch movement throughout the day.. OP - walk barefoot more, or wear "minimalist shoes". :+1:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I like Nuun tabs for electrolyte replacement. The lime flavor is least foul. These are about 5 kCal each.