Any over 50s out there ?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm Kate, I'm English but live in France, 51 years old and have a massive 80lbs to lose...I started with this app about 6 weeks ago and have already lost 10lbs, which is great but just the tip of the iceberg. Would love to have some friends here as I'm doing this alone for the moment.

Replies

• feelsgood2
    feelsgood2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi there Kate, welcome to MFP! I'm an Aussie lady, 51+ plus and have around 15kg to lose. Happy to support and cheer you on :-) There is also a large community group of 50's plus ladies on myfitnesspal. I'll see if if I can send you the link. Cheers, Carol
  • Muerte55
    Muerte55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate, Nice to meet you. I'm Marty, 61, in SE Virginia near ocean. I do 4 miles a day, 2 in AM, 2 after dinner. I don't have quite as much to lose as you, about half ideally but I'll settle for 30 lbs, only 7 lbs down, but I am feeling better. It was 28 F degrees on this morning's walk. Let's do it...we'll beat it !!
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Wickedwitch2017 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Marty, I can't do such regular exercise as you as I work weird hours, but I try at least once a week, weather permitting, to do a 6km walk around our local golf course, that would be about 3.7 miles (had a look on a converter) :smile: and I've bought a home trainer for my bike, I've just done 15 mins and I'm bushed, I can't seem to get past 15 mins !
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Options
    Hi Carol :) thanks that's great, would love it.
  • KimK2009
    KimK2009 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate. I'm Kim. I turned 50 last year and I live in Augusta, Georgia. I'm just starting out so I have a lot to learn and a lot to lose.
  • peacemom
    peacemom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi- 51 and live in Ohio. About 30 lbs to lose. I walk 2 miles with my husband/dog most nights. I'm going to lose it slowly and not feel tortured.
  • groovygirlnextdoor
    groovygirlnextdoor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    54! I work tax season so sitting in front of the computer for 60+ hours a week. Always need motivation to actually move when I get home. I have 20 pounds to lose. I am so good at cheating... We can do this - just have to keep coming back to the commitment and learn to enjoy the good good feeling of getting stronger and healthier. Totally with you girl.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hi Marty, I can't do such regular exercise as you as I work weird hours, but I try at least once a week, weather permitting, to do a 6km walk around our local golf course, that would be about 3.7 miles (had a look on a converter) :smile: and I've bought a home trainer for my bike, I've just done 15 mins and I'm bushed, I can't seem to get past 15 mins !

Is that a stationary bike? Don't get discouraged. I know that 15 min feeling on the treadmill, but now 30 is okay.
  • dkgresham
    dkgresham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate, I'm Kim and live in Arkansas. I'm just starting and have over 50 lbs tp lose. I've never tried this with friends , but nothing else has worked. We can do this together.
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Options
    KimK2009 wrote: »
    Hi Kate. I'm Kim. I turned 50 last year and I live in Augusta, Georgia. I'm just starting out so I have a lot to learn and a lot to lose.

Hi Kim, same here :)
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Options
    dkgresham wrote: »
    Hi Kate, I'm Kim and live in Arkansas. I'm just starting and have over 50 lbs tp lose. I've never tried this with friends , but nothing else has worked. We can do this together.

Hi second Kim :) I hope it does work for you ... and me and all of us. We can motivate each other ;)
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Is that a stationary bike? Don't get discouraged. I know that 15 min feeling on the treadmill, but now 30 is okay.

Hello Tony, its my ordinary bike fixed to a thingy so that I can pedal inside, it's not one of those things that you see in gyms. I would rather have a treadmill lol, I'm much better at walking than pedalling, but anyway, I'm sticking to it and I WILL get to 20 mins :)
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Options
    54! I work tax season so sitting in front of the computer for 60+ hours a week. Always need motivation to actually move when I get home. I have 20 pounds to lose. I am so good at cheating... We can do this - just have to keep coming back to the commitment and learn to enjoy the good good feeling of getting stronger and healthier. Totally with you girl.

Hi groovygirl :) yeah I'm always in front of the computer too so I know the feeling. :)
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Options
    peacemom wrote: »
    Hi- 51 and live in Ohio. About 30 lbs to lose. I walk 2 miles with my husband/dog most nights. I'm going to lose it slowly and not feel tortured.

Hello peacemom ;) wow 2 miles a day that's great, I honestly couldn't ! Well done :)
  • UmubuSoulBrother
    UmubuSoulBrother Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate
    I'm Jonathan I live in Sheffield UK I discovered MFP yesterday and just getting started Feel like a toddler about to take its first steps!!

Encouraging to hear you've made progress so early in your programme You're not alone as you can tell from the responses you're not alone Keep striving for your goal we're all rooting for you
  • UmubuSoulBrother
    UmubuSoulBrother Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    oops i forgot to mention I'm 52 in May
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Options
    Hi Kate
    I'm Jonathan I live in Sheffield UK I discovered MFP yesterday and just getting started Feel like a toddler about to take its first steps!!

Encouraging to hear you've made progress so early in your programme You're not alone as you can tell from the responses you're not alone Keep striving for your goal we're all rooting for you

Hello Jonathan, I'm originally from Castleford ;) I was starting to think everyone here was from the US lol. I think this site is just great and honestly I have a good feeling about it... Its gonna work :)
  • walkerrita2
    walkerrita2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Kate. I'm Rita from Ohio. I turn 49 in May and have about 20 lbs to lose. I am an executive assistant and work a desk job. I try to work out in the mornings (I have a stairclimber). I also wear a Fitbit and have plenty of friends challenging me so that motivates me. I try to go for at least one walk at work (hard to do because I'm usually super busy). I used MFP in the past with some success, so now I'm back at it. Feel free to add me (and anyone else can add me). I'm with you.
  • Wickedwitch2017
    Options
    Hi Kate. I'm Rita from Ohio. I turn 49 in May and have about 20 lbs to lose. I am an executive assistant and work a desk job. I try to work out in the mornings (I have a stairclimber). I also wear a Fitbit and have plenty of friends challenging me so that motivates me. I try to go for at least one walk at work (hard to do because I'm usually super busy). I used MFP in the past with some success, so now I'm back at it. Feel free to add me (and anyone else can add me). I'm with you.

Hello Rita pleased to meet you, I would love to add you but I'm a bit useless and am still trying to navigate the site :) I haven't yet found how to add people.
  • alijoeanne
    alijoeanne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm Fiona from Wales. I'm 53 and been using MFP for 60 days and have lost 6 pounds. Not a lot (loads to go) but I have increased my exercise from doing none