Sports bra rubbing underarms?! For the women ;-)

Options
My dang sports bra rides up and after using deodorant after a shower I realized my underarms BURNED and were rubbed when my sports bra rides up.. I have to tie the straps to hold my bra up because I'm a D cup and ... tmi... need something to HOLD them in with jumping jacks... anyone have any good recommendations for a plus size sports bra?
Also what can I do in the meantime when I exercise, my underarms burn! I'm trying to figure out how to cover my underarms for when I go to work out again? Thanks all

Replies

• jennyhart200
    jennyhart200 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm a DD and usually wear 2 sports bras for the extra support. The bottom one is larger and covers more, which works as extra support and to protect the tighter one from cutting into me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No recommendation for sports bras, but you can try applying some Body Glide, which is an anti-chafing thing. Runners use it on their legs, and it helps alot. I imagine it would help in the underarm area too.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Put on Vaseline until you can buy a decent one. This shouldn't happen.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    No recommendation for sports bras, but you can try applying some Body Glide, which is an anti-chafing thing. Runners use it on their legs, and it helps alot. I imagine it would help in the underarm area too.

Any stores carry it or is it online only?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Any stores carry it or is it online only?

You can get it at stores. Target carries it and other similar brands.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You are wearing the wrong size bra.

I am a D also but, I used to think I was a 34 B. A good fitter measured me and I am actually a 30/32 D (the cup goes up a bit as the band goes down if breast size is stable.
    Either go and get measured and fitted, or follow an on line guide to fitting yourself. Shoulder straps should have little to do with the bra staying in position and supporting the breasts, it is all in the band and cup size.

Cheers, h.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Agree^^^

You need a smaller band size. Go to Nordstrom's, they have the best retail bra measurers. (But only because they carry a wider variety of sizes. Most stores train their workers to measure to fit their limited stock. So Nordstrom's employees are trained to measure to fit their stock... which makes it more accurate because of the wide variety. Hope that made sense :D )

Have them write down your size. Check out what they have and if it's too pricey, then go shop online. I like an underwire sports bra.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do an mfp search for sports bra. There's a thread every couple weeks and many good recommendations. Enell, Victoria Secret, shock absorber, many others.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Put deodorant all around where the band's chafing (after you heal, take it easy until then!) and even D.O. around underboob. I would avoid underwire bras for working out^^^ the sweat may cause a larger irritation. Don't be afraid to "double up" if you've lost weight, I've used 2 flexible bras and it worked until I found a decent sports bra brand
  • boopster99
    boopster99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Invest in a high quality sports bra. I'm an F/G cup and the only brand that holds me properly is Shock Absorber. It has double straps in the back to hold you up securely and there's no riding up (or anywhere for that matter) once you have the correct size. Yes, they are pricey, but it's well worth it. I purchased mine through the Running Room in Canada but have seen them available online and at other running stores in both Canada and the US. Cheers ...
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Make sure you wear the right size. I'm a 65DD (European size) (28DD in UK) and i have mostly Freya sports bras. Nothing moves, up or down.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Seconding shock absorber. A well-fitting shock absorber bra makes jumping jacks possible without embarrassment in a mixed sex class.
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Panache's underwired sports bra is the best I have found, and it has an optional racer-back clip for days when I feel like I need a bit more 'securing'.

They do depend on your body type though... some bras just come up too high in the centre and under the arms for me, and that's not caused by an incorrect size.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Panache underwired. I ran 8k this morning and nothing moved, at all. I'm a 30E. Also agree that you need to check the sizing. Anywhere that measures your back size and adds 5 inches is doing it wrong. Measure your back size and that is your back size! Don't add anything!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Another vote for proper sizing. I have a Panache but it still moves too much for my comfort. Low impact only.

Enell is my best friend. Life changing. But even it chafes if it's not the right size.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Stop wearing it. If my sports bra doesn't support high impact activity, I wear a well supporting regular bra underneath the sports bra.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I'll check out all the suggestions!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'm only a 34A and I can chafe if I don't wear a shirt over the sports bra - some SHIRTS rub my armpits wrong and also cause chafing. It can be very much a hit-or-miss situation. I have a drawerful of the same style and size of sports bras, and some of them work fine, and others cause trouble - or one will work one day, and cause chafing the next.

I was hoping for more suggestions, too - I hope you find something that works.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 if if you are wearing the same style and size of bra and and have chaffing problems there a couple of things you can check.

Age of the bra- the older they are the more wash and wear has an effect on the stretch and fit so they may be a little loser than the newer ones.
    Construction- these bras are mass manufactured. Check the stitching and the seams for little bumps and flaws. They may look small but can play havoc on the wearability.

I have a number of regular bras that are all the same but one has to be set aside as there was the smallest, like I could only feel it with a fingertip examination-not see it, doubling over in one of the seams.

Otherwise Glide is your friend.

Cheers, h.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @autumnblade75 if if you are wearing the same style and size of bra and and have chaffing problems there a couple of things you can check.

Age of the bra- the older they are the more wash and wear has an effect on the stretch and fit so they may be a little loser than the newer ones.
    Construction- these bras are mass manufactured. Check the stitching and the seams for little bumps and flaws. They may look small but can play havoc on the wearability.

I have a number of regular bras that are all the same but one has to be set aside as there was the smallest, like I could only feel it with a fingertip examination-not see it, doubling over in one of the seams.

Otherwise Glide is your friend.

Cheers, h.

Thanks - I sew, so I've been toying with the idea of just making my own, but since fabric costs nearly as much as the finished item (and I don't have to spend so much TIME on it) I've allowed myself to be lazy. You're right that the older, more worn out bras tend to chafe less - but they did when they were newer, too - I had chalked that up to subtle differences in the fabrics and elastic. But I was also running fewer miles, then, too. Now, most of them are good for at least 8 miles, but I have to be careful on long runs. I still have marks from last Friday's run, right now. My solutions for the last 6 miles or so included pulling down the sleeves of my sodden (tech fabric) shirt, alternately tucking them further up into my armpits, and the most effective for chafe prevention: holding my arms out like chicken wings so that they didn't rub. But that was definitely the shirt, and not the bra. And I got through the first 10 miles before I noticed a problem. So, there's that. And I know from experience that if I stop there, I probably won't finish the rest of the run...

I've tried Vaseline, but didn't care for how that felt. I'm too cheap to invest in a lube that I probably won't like, either. I do have A&D ointment to treat the rash, later. I made a note of which shirt I'm NOT wearing on Marathon Day. I have others. I'm sure I'll figure something out. Probably a cotton shirt, like everyone advises against...