High energy, low calorie foods

Options
I'm currently trying to lose weight and have cut my calories and I find that I'm lacking energy. Anyone have any suggestions for snacks that are high in energy and low in calories?
Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do and think the opposite.
    Stop snacking. Eat regular meals.
    Eat enough food for your calorie needs. Pick a variety of real, ordinary foods. Don't look for "low calorie" foods.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Depends on your idea of low calorie. I am finding more and more that if I eat a meal that has protein, a good fat, some veggies and possible a slice of fruit I stay super full for a long while.

An example is a 4oz. piece of baked chicken -- I tend to bake mine with a little bit of Kerrygold butter and some grapeseed oil with S/P and garlic. A salad with 3 cups of spinach, some walnuts, sliced red peppers, sliced raw asparagus and a homemade dressing (olive oil, balsamic, dijon mustard). And a slice of watermelon. If I eat that for lunch I feel pretty good and have a light dinner cause I stay full.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This was my first thought too--if you're tired, you're not eating, and or, sleeping enough. You have to play around with your calories to find what works best for you. You need to lose slowly, eating as much as possible.
  • carolbrady1
    carolbrady1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    cessi0909 wrote: »
    Depends on your idea of low calorie. I am finding more and more that if I eat a meal that has protein, a good fat, some veggies and possible a slice of fruit I stay super full for a long while.

Me too, I've been recommended a higher protein, lower carb diet and *touch wood* I haven't experienced any real 'sugar crashes' since being on it!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    High energy, low calorie food is an oxymoron.

Stimulants (caffeine) are the only thing that fits the bill.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hard to give any advice without knowing what and how much you are eating. Open your diary so we can have a look.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I look for high energy, low calorie density foods (fewer calories but high in volume) like potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, fruits, beans, lentils, starchy veggies.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Also are you drinking enough water? I feel sluggish when I am dehydrated.
  • jesshayds
    jesshayds Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all this! I guess I'm pulling away from stimulants and maybe I'm seeing the side effects of that? eg. sodas and sweets.
  • boomyrose
    boomyrose Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Clean eating ....no sauces no frills . Just veg protein salads. Plenty of spices ! Minus the salt lol lots of water ..protein :) helped me ! U can look up pinterest for ideas on low calorie foods :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Adequate calories
    Coffee
    VitB multi vitamin
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Taking a multi-vitamin has helped me. Ton of water helps as well.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    High energy, low calorie food is an oxymoron.

Stimulants (caffeine) are the only thing that fits the bill.

I think what you're after is a cocaine diet.