Program to do after NROLFW

Options
I am half way through phase 6 of New Rules of Lifting for Women so its time to start thinking about what to do next. My main goal is weight loss but I also would like to maintain muscle and strength. I am not looking to put on muscle right now (getting married in 6 mo and want to lose about 30-40 lbs by then). I enjoy lifting and would like to continue on a lifting program while supplementing with cardio and yoga. Any suggestions for what to do next? :smiley:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,414 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mhankosk wrote: »
    I am half way through phase 6 of New Rules of Lifting for Women so its time to start thinking about what to do next. My main goal is weight loss but I also would like to maintain muscle and strength. I am not looking to put on muscle right now (getting married in 6 mo and want to lose about 30-40 lbs by then). I enjoy lifting and would like to continue on a lifting program while supplementing with cardio and yoga. Any suggestions for what to do next? :smiley:

First, it's hard to put on muscle, but even if you did, you would be slimmer since muscle is lean (pending you didn't add fat on top of it). What are your goals outside of weight loss. There are a plethora of programs. How many days do you like to lift? Are their areas of focus? There are few programs that a lot of women enjoy or that are more focused towards women outside of NROL4W; StrongCurves and Thinner Leaner Stronger come to mind. But there are also more strength based programs out there as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    mhankosk wrote: »

First, it's hard to put on muscle, but even if you did, you would be slimmer since muscle is lean (pending you didn't add fat on top of it). What are your goals outside of weight loss. There are a plethora of programs. How many days do you like to lift? Are their areas of focus? There are few programs that a lot of women enjoy or that are more focused towards women outside of NROL4W; StrongCurves and Thinner Leaner Stronger come to mind. But there are also more strength based programs out there as well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I am looking for just general strength training. I lift 3x per week now and supplement with cardio and yoga. My main goal right now is weight loss but would like to build a stable understanding and the proper form for lifting in the future. I've seen that post on all the lifting programs, but it is a little overwhelming. Was just looking for some others opinions and experience. :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Do you like NROL4W? If so, do it again.

If not, then yeah - the programs Mr. Lemon mentioned above (SC and TLS) are pretty good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,414 MFP Moderator
    Options

TR0berts wrote: »
    Do you like NROL4W? If so, do it again.

If not, then yeah - the programs Mr. Lemon mentioned above (SC and TLS) are pretty good.

I'd agree with this.. either do another round or move to something like SC or TLS. More glute focus = SC, more general TLS. I will note that TLS will come with a 3/4/5 day program. So it could be more useful down the line. SC comes with a body weight and freeweight program. So both has a good variety.