How do you deal with warped thoughts?

Options
I noticed my weight keeps fluctuating day by day. I've been around 197-199 for a few days now (I know that's dumb that I think this is bad), but somehow my mind still thinks I'm doing a lousy job at losing weight. It wasn't until I compared today's weigh in to last Monday's weigh in that I was able to convince myself that I'm doing alright (weigh 2 pounds less today than last Monday).

How do you guys deal with your unreasonable thoughts?

Replies

• GoldBikiniGoals
    GoldBikiniGoals Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Exactly like that. Rationalize, look at the data. And celebrate small victories. 2lbs is a great loss.

Weightloss is not a short journey, so you kind of get on board with fluctuations, or you don't succeed. If you feel like the day to day fluctuations aren't something you can mentally cope with, try weighing less frequently. Pick one day of the week and hop on the scale (Ex. every Wednesday).

I personally love daily weigh ins; it gives me more data and lets me find out why things fluctuate the way they do. If I'm up day to day I just ask myself the rational questions: did I do a harder than normal workout? eat way over in salt? did I under-estimate a high calorie item somehow? And so on.
  • Tobin1972
    Tobin1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week. I'd go crazy, too, if I was on the scales every day, especially multiple times a day. I've done that before and the fluctuations can make you despair. I weigh myself once a week on Friday morning as soon as I get out of bed and before I have anything to eat or drink.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right...using the evidence in front of you! You weigh two pounds less, yeah!

But, even if the scale hadn't moved-you still need to have a good mindset that continuing your healthier lifestyle is STILL a good thing!

Many of us who are long time losers (hahaha!) come up against weeks long plateaus- talk about frustrating! That's when a lot of self doubt and negative thinking can creep into our daily thoughts. I always try to look at the long term success. Even if my scale goes up one week, all I have to do is look at where I started.

Try not to get caught up in the daily numbers, just KNOW that if you're following the plan, you're good!
  • TerriSueAyers
    TerriSueAyers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and tell that person (me) that I love her and that she is perfect and I am going to take care of her and choose healthy foods and give exercise her daily. I'm not judgemental rather loving and supportive. I also like to weigh daily, it keeps me realistic and helps me stay focused. I also congratulate myself after my workout and when I eat healthy meals.