TOO MUCH PROTEIN!

Options
i ate almost double the protein i am supposed to have yesterday... how will this affect my weight/body?

Replies

• bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i ate almost double the protein i am supposed to have yesterday... how will this affect my weight/body?
  • His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options
    If you consume protein in excess of your caloric and protein needs, the extra protein will not be stored as protein. Unfortunately such extra protein is converted to and stored as fat. As a result, if individuals consume large amounts of extra protein in addition to their regular dietary intake, any weight gain would very likely be in the form of fat. (So, keep within your calorie limits!)

The human body is unable to store extra protein. Protein consumed in excess of the body's needs is not used to build muscle; rather, it is used for non-protein bodily functions. Another important point to keep in mind is that the potential for harm exists if protein is consumed in excess. Such harm is most likely to occur in the individual who consumes protein or amino acid supplements.

For example, excess protein may lead to dehydration, because protein metabolism requires extra water for utilization and excretion (i.e., elimination) of its by-products. Since exercising individuals are already at an increased risk for dehydration, the additional strain of protein waste excretion may further promote dehydration.

Excess protein has also been shown to lead to an increase in the loss of urinary calcium. A chronic calcium loss, due to excess protein intake, is of particular concern because it may increase the risk of osteoporosis, especially in women.

Hope this helps you! :flowerforyou:

-Kelly
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I agree with Bauekel when she says the protein that your body doesn't need gets stored as fat.

However, for me, I believe that this website does not calculate properly how much protein you should consume. My old roommate who was a body builder said you should consume 1 gram for every pound you weigh every day. Now this was if you wanted to build muscle as well.

But this website calculates that I should only consume 1/3 of that, and I don't think that's right either. Protein helps your muscles, so if you're working out I think you will be fine. I go over every day and I am losing 3 pounds a week. Unfortunately it's one of those things that varies with every person.
  • His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options

However, for me, I believe that this website does not calculate properly how much protein you should consume. My old roommate who was a body builder said you should consume 1 gram for every pound you weigh every day. Now this was if you wanted to build muscle as well.

\

The dietician recommended amount of protein for an individual is .8-1 gram of protein per kg of body weight (1 kg = 2.2 pounds)

If you are elderly, at high risk, sick, etc, this number will increase.
  • mdebroy
    mdebroy Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks to everyone posting here! I have the same issue and constantly over eat my protein by about 15 20 grams per day. I had no idea about the rest. You guys have been very informative and thanks to Bostongirl1987 for asking because without you I never would have thought to ask.:drinker:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    The amout of protein also depends on your life style and goals. If you are very active, and want to maintain or build muscle with high intensity workouts, it is recommended that you consume between .7 to .9 grams of protein per lbs of body weight (these recommendations are from websites that are targeted at athletic lifestyles). There is some debate if you should use lbs of body weight or pounds of lean muscle to calculate.

So if you are active, going over in protein will not hurt you especially for 1 day. My protein intake is always over what MFP recommends and in many cases it is double. However, I workout intensely 6 days a week and I am trying to add muscle. You talk to any athlete, this will be the case.

The dietician recommendation (My guess) is a general recommendation for the average person. So, do a little research to find the correct answer for your life style. Very rarely does "one size fit all" when discussing diets and exercise.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    If you are double the number giving on here it isn't that big of deal, especially if you stay with in your calories. The number set on here for a guided goal is very low and anybody would have a hard time staying in that range for protein. Somebody else asked the exact same question yesterday if you scroll through the posts you should be able to find it. The subject was covered quite well on that thread.

Basically if you are a woman you can eat .5 to .75 grams of protien per pound of body weight and be fine.