Not Eating Immediately After A Run?

Options
TC2429
TC2429 Posts: 6 Member
Alright so 4 days a week I go for a 3ish mile run at 445 am before work. I don't have time to eat within an hour after (i read this is important) I'm probably done around 530 and I head to work where I eat something at 730-8 am. I'm just wondering if this is going to impact me negatively. I'm not going to get up earlier to eat because I can't run with a full stomach and I've found that planning to run later in the day means theres a 80% chance I'll just skip it. So no good or doesn't matter?

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters so long as you don't get faint or so hungry you binge. It depends on the person. I did see an episode of secret eaters where the guy would run or cycle and eat within the hour but he would overeat...eat at least twice the calories he had burned...so in his case eating right after exercise was not good and sabotaged all his hard work. So he actually started not eating right after exercise and then started to lose weight. I think it all depends on what works for you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Do you have time for a glass of milk? It won't kill you but having at least a little protein and carb will help speed muscle recovery.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Do you have time for a glass of milk? It won't kill you but having at least a little protein and carb will help speed muscle recovery.
    This!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. Eating soon after running can help if you are having trouble recovering (might not, but worth a try), are training very hard for an event and want to maximize performance, or plan another exercise session that day, but for most it does not matter. Go by how you feel and don't worry about what people tell you the rules are.

Here's a good discussion: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrient-timing
  • TC2429
    TC2429 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk so idk if that would help but I'll see about buying a half gallon of skim just for workdays thanks! Also I do workout again, about 4 hours later I do strength training. I'll take a look at that discussion thank you :)