why does adding excercise add calories to my daily total?

Options
Hi does anyone know why MFP adds the calories I've burned to my daily total? Isn't the point to burn those calories, not add what you have burned? I'm confused on this

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The calories you burn off are being added to your available calories for the day so you can eat some back if you want.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the NEAT method to set your calorie goal, and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    MFP works on the NEAT method which means it doesn't take exercise into account when calculating your calorie goal. And since you aready have a deficit built in when setting up that calorie goal, you're meant to eat at least some of those exercise calories back.

(MFP/activity trackers/peoples brains can over estimate calories out so some people eat only a portion back.)
  • nanpfeffer
    nanpfeffer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not sure about that either! But if you gave 1200 calories and you burn off 400 for instance than you are actually only eating 600 which is not good . Your metabolism has not enuf to work for you! What does every think about this idea?
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    The number MFP gives you already includes your deficit to lose weight. So if you do exercise, then you get extra calories.

For example, a conversation between me and MFP:

Me: Hi MFP, I'm sedentary and want to lose 1lbs per week. Here are my stats!
    MFP: Great! You need to eat 1500 cals per day to lose those 1lbs per week.
    Me: Hi MFP. Guess what! I exercised today? Isn't that just amazing????
    MFP: Great! eat more cause I didn't plan that into that number I gave you!

The general advice is to eat back a part (50-75%) of those calories until you know how accurate they are for you. If you lose faster than planned, eat more. If you lose slower than planned, eat less.

^^THIS. If you exercise you get to eat more. Hooray! :)
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind with all of this is that the body is an engine. It HAS to have fuel to keep you going and if you aren't putting enough fuel into the tank, exercising every bit of calories consumed without eating additional food for instance, then the engine will break down. In the case of the human body, it will consume muscle mass before fat because fat is the reserve tank and is only tapped in either the direst of emergencies or when there is consistently enough fuel in the main tank to keep things running properly. This is the reason that starvation diets not only don't work properly but are dangerous. Also remember that muscle requires more calories to maintain that fat.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    The number MFP gives you already includes your deficit to lose weight. So if you do exercise, then you get extra calories.

For example, a conversation between me and MFP:

Me: Hi MFP, I'm sedentary and want to lose 1lbs per week. Here are my stats!
    MFP: Great! You need to eat 1500 cals per day to lose those 1lbs per week.
    Me: Hi MFP. Guess what! I exercised today? Isn't that just amazing????
    MFP: Great! eat more cause I didn't plan that into that number I gave you!

The general advice is to eat back a part (50-75%) of those calories until you know how accurate they are for you. If you lose faster than planned, eat more. If you lose slower than planned, eat less.

Great explanation!
  • BrandiThompson1
    BrandiThompson1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice
  • BrandiThompson1
    BrandiThompson1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It makes a lot of sense now lol