How long did it take you to get the splits?

Options
I tried forcing it another day (I know, bad idea) and I couldn't do it (obviously) but it now hurts a bit to stretch my right leg (the part where the thigh and body are attached, I don't know what it's called) so I guess I will really just have to follow this path and work on my flexibility til I get there. Maybe share your experience or just comment on how long it took you to get to the splits?

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I went as far as getting a leg stretcher to master the split. Save your money. Like your finding out, going too hard just sets you further back, especially in the beginning. Depending on where you're at and how often you stretch, it might take anywhere from 6 months to maybe about 3 years.
    What I learned is that you have to stretch all the muscles in the legs and lower back in all different ways to develop the flexibility needed to do a split. It takes a long time. I still haven't mastered it. It's just so time consuming. I haven't been consistent and that's probably the key.
    Also, you want to relax your muscles as much as possible when stretching. Passive stretching, with someone else pushing the stretch for you is probably the best. I've also read that you should contract the muscle for a bit while in the stretch then relax it, as a way to further stretch the muscle fibers.
    A massage bar might help. It can be used to remove knots, and to sort of tenderize the muscles.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As a former ballerina, I would encourage you to not force your body into over stretching. As a child I spent several days each week at the dance studio taking classes, and over the course of several years I developed significant flexibility. I don't know what you are doing to increase your flexibility - yoga, barre work, dance, etc - but I would encourage you to take things slow. If you over stretch like you mentioned in your post, you will definitely be sore of a few days.

I really enjoy hot yoga. I feel like I can achieve deep stretches since my muscles are so warm during the class. I also would encourage you to stretch following your regular workout routines. I personally do not like to stretch prior to a workout since I feel like my muscles are more stiff when cold and not warmed up. Flexibility is definitely something that you can improve over time. Best of luck!