Replies

• kteej
    kteej Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have never tried to make it in a microwave, I usually put it in a rice cooker for 15 minutes. When I do I add 3 parts water to 1 part dry (ie 3/4 cups water to 1/4 cup quinoa ) I played around with different amounts of water and 3x seems to make it turn out the 'fluffiest.'
  • cheers_b
    cheers_b Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    rookie question: what does "bump" mean?
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Best way to cook Quinoa.......rinse very well until the water runs clear (use a very fine sieve).......bring 1 cup quinoa to a boil with 2 cups of water..... boil for 3 minutes..... turn off the heat and put a lid on the pan....... leave for 25 to 30 minutes

this makes an easy and beautiful pot of fluffy quinoa
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Bump is a place marker for later reference. When you post on a thread it is stored under the "My Topics" on your home page.

FYI

On the subject of microwave vs. stove top cooking: I have found that on my gas range I can boil water faster than in the microwave, and gas is cheaper than electricity.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've never tried making quinoa in the microwave, but if itworks let me know I will try it. I usually make 1/2 cup of dry with one cup of water and it yields about 1 1/2 cups cooked. If your familiar with Pinterest there is TONS of awesome Quinoa recipes on there. I love this stuff!
    This is my favorite ( I dont make the vinagratte I just squeeze some lime juice or use apple cider vinegar):

SOUTHWESTERN QUINOA SALAD WITH CHIPOTLE VINAIGRETTE
    For Salad:
    1 cup quinoa
    1 can sweet corn
    1 can black beans
    1 package small roma or cherry tomatoes
    1/3 of a red onion, diced
    roughly 1/3 cup cilantro
    avocado
    This looks really good! Thanks for sharing!
  • tmstebb
    Options
    QUINOA BURGER

2 rounded cups cooked quinoa (see note below for cooking instructions)

3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)

1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese

1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed dry)

3 eggs

3 tablespoons all purpose flour

2 green onions, including white parts

1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Olive oil for frying

In a large bowl combine the 2 rounded cups of cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, eggs, flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.

(To help them stay in patty form and not fall apart, I cook them on med-low slowly so they have longer to set-up without burning. Makes them easier to flip, too.) Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Mixture will be slightly sticky, so using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Makes approx. 10 burgers.

Per burger: Calories 132; Protein 8 g; Fat 5 g; NET Carbs 12 g; (Fiber 2 g); Sugar 0 g; Sodium 200 mg

Here is a good website...more Quinoa recipes too.......http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/
  • U002324
    Options
    I tried this recipe today and it was nice and fillings - calories are not too bad either http://thescrumptiouspumpkin.com/2013/07/29/greek-tomato-feta-quinoa-salad/
  • tfisher0915
    tfisher0915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kurziemom
    kurziemom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    please don't forget to rinse the quinoa before cooking. it has a coating on it that tastes soapy if you don't.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it in the microwave. :huh:

I usually just cook a whole pot on the stove then portion it out for a grab and go side.

Quinoa mac and cheese is my favorite. :love:

Omg!!! I never thought about doing that <3 !!!! Mac & cheese <3
  • jamiedear
    jamiedear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ijustwantedtoholdyouinmyarms
    Options
    BUMP
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump thanx
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa to slightly thicken my jambalaya instead of using rice.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like black bean and quinoa enchiladas.
  • kittycat1116
    kittycat1116 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AuntKatieD
    AuntKatieD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make overnight quinoa in oven - like I do rice - works great! 1:2 ratio in oven safe bowl. Boil water before pouring over quinoa. Preheat oven to 500degrees (yes- very hot oven). Put dish in oven, shut off oven, go to bed. In morning - fluffy cooked quinoa. Remember - get oven hot & then shut it off. The heat will cook the quinoa or rice.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GSDSROCK
    GSDSROCK Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump