Are green giant steamers really healthy?

Options

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    jbrunner2 wrote: »

I eat them about once a month. Haven't killed me yet. Why would you think they are NOT healthy?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    I eat something similar (Heinz or Bird's Eye Steamers) every day, 5 days a week, and have done for over 2 years now.

I've lost weight.
    My Dr has run all sorts of tests and it would appear I'm healthier now than before I started eating them regularly.
    And I'm doing more long distance cycling at a faster pace.

So far, I don't see any reason for me to stop eating them. :)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Look at the ones on here ... and decide for yourself ...
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=search&term=Green+Giant+Steamers

The healthy food scores range from A to C- depending on what's in em.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Why would they be unhealthy?

I'm guessing because they are Double Whammy of Evil - processed AND boxed.

They aren't unhealthy imo. Eat them if you like them.

Triple whammy - they go in the microwave!

Oh no the box of death
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Noooo please don't tell me something is wring with microwaving stuff!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's scary to me that people are starting to think that veg is unhealthy.

I agree.

Perhaps we are all expected to have greenhouses so we can grow our own. I suppose if I picked a carrot (today) from my personal garden....it would be (slightly) higher in nutrition than frozen. But that's not at all practical.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Why would they be unhealthy?

I'm guessing because they are Double Whammy of Evil - processed AND boxed.

They aren't unhealthy imo. Eat them if you like them.

What's the process aside from putting them in a box?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We buy the 'lightly sauced' varieties for quick sides throughout the week. I see nothing wrong with them at all. Birds Eye makes a few brands that taste even better as quick low calorie side.

One of my favorites: https://www.birdseye.com/vegetable-products/flavorful/fiesta-lime-corn
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    They're perfectly fine. I generally stay away from the sauced ones but that's just because I like to season veggies my way.

same here
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Look at the ones on here ... and decide for yourself ...
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=search&term=Green+Giant+Steamers

The healthy food scores range from A to C- depending on what's in em.

Lol, I clicked on one that got a C-, and I can't figure out why. That site's scoring seems super random.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The only "health risk" with these is not getting burned by the steam. :wink:

Love frozen veggies. Will not stop using them.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's scary to me that people are starting to think that veg is unhealthy.

People have been saying fruit is unhealthy for years now, because evil carbs and evil sugar. Veggies couldn't be far behind.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there's a big difference between plain frozen vegetables and sauced ones as far as being healthy. Since I don't believe the OP stated exactly what he/she was referring to, I find it very difficult to answer. I will eat frozen vegetables in my soup anytime, but would never eat the ones that have sauce. Apparently, everyone has their own opinion on what is healthy or unhealthy. Look at the list of ingredients and make the determination based upon what your thoughts are regarding eating healthy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    In my opinion, there's a big difference between plain frozen vegetables and sauced ones as far as being healthy. Since I don't believe the OP stated exactly what he/she was referring to, I find it very difficult to answer. I will eat frozen vegetables in my soup anytime, but would never eat the ones that have sauce. Apparently, everyone has their own opinion on what is healthy or unhealthy. Look at the list of ingredients and make the determination based upon what your thoughts are regarding eating healthy.

But sauce is just . . . a collection of ingredients. I'm sure there are some that may be more calorie-dense or contain things an individual might not want to eat, but saucing vegetables is a pretty widespread culinary tradition.

Saying you would never eat sauce just because it's sauce? That doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: For reference, this is the ingredients lists for one of the Green Giants steamers with sauce: Brussels Sprouts, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Rice Flour, Black Pepper, Natural Flavor.

A serving is 70 calories, with 3 grams of fiber and almost a full day's value of vitamin C. If someone likes these, I can't imagine what harm it could do. If it results in someone adding vegetables to meals that might not otherwise have them, it could even help their health via meeting nutritional needs or even making meeting a calorie goal more sustainable.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

But... The broth in your soup is, essentially, a sauce. It may very well have more sodium and/or ingredients and/or may be more "processed" than the sauce that comes with the frozen vegetables.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

But sauce is just . . . a collection of ingredients. I'm sure there are some that may be more calorie-dense or contain things an individual might not want to eat, but saucing vegetables is a pretty widespread culinary tradition.

Saying you would never eat sauce just because it's sauce? That doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: For reference, this is the ingredients lists for one of the Green Giants steamers with sauce: Brussels Sprouts, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Rice Flour, Black Pepper, Natural Flavor.

A serving is 70 calories, with 3 grams of fiber and almost a full day's value of vitamin C. If someone likes these, I can't imagine what harm it could do. If it results in someone adding vegetables to meals that might not otherwise have them, it could even help their health via meeting nutritional needs or even making meeting a calorie goal more sustainable.

Plus, what is "healthy" vs. "unhealthy" is only really meaningful in context. If my fat macro happens to be low that day, the option with sauce could be a better choice than one without.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This thread is why I feel so many people struggle with weight loss. They put on so many ridiculous rules that have no basis in common sense. Like sauce is the devil. Why? Same with the only drink pure straight water straight from a fresh mountain stream but if you put it in a bottle then its suddenly bad, toxic and no longer water. People like to make things excessively difficult and then can't figure out why they struggle when they can't even follow their own rules they've using to punish themselves into weight loss with. Food is energy - as long as you eat at a reasonable calorie deficit you'll lose weight. Sure a nice well rounded diet is best but using food as deprivation and punishment is much less healthy in my opinion that a little sauce.