Protein source: How much Chicken per day do you consume?

Options
powered85
powered85 Posts: 297 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I've added Chicken breast into my meal plan daily and noticing it's helping keep me fuller longer along with upping other protein sources. So curious those who eat chicken as a prime daily protein source, how many grams do you typically consume? Is 150-200g/day quite a bit? That's currently what I'm aiming for.

Thanks

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    1 chicken breast is generally 130-180g where I buy them (I'm in the UK). I'll have that in one meal. It's not my primary protein source though because I don't do well with too much dietary repetition. Depending if cutting or maintaining and exercise levels I'll eat lean or fattier cuts of beef, pork, lamb, fish, seafood etc. Other go to sources are Greek yoghurt/skyr, cheese, eggs, cottage cheese.

I like variety and all of the above are good sources of protein.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't mind having the same thing often. I usually have 100g or less of turkey breast in the morning (I get the pre cooked strips), and then a chicken breast for lunch, if I don't have leftovers from the previous dinner. I try to not eat chicken for dinner if I've had it for lunch.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I have chicken, I usually have around 6 oz. for a chicken breast or 4 oz per serving for a casserole with chicken in it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    According to my diary for today: 1073g.

No, that's not a typo, and it would be higher, but I decided to pull one meal in the form of a whey iso shake.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Usually 2 chicken breasts (130-140g each). I try to vary everything else, but the chicken breasts are just convenient esp. cause I'm on fairly high protein for the next month or so.

I snatch in duck/salmon/steak when I can afford to. Delicious!
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I should add- for protein staples I eat a lot of Greek yogurt along with at least 4 egg whites daily. I plan to start cooking whole turkeys and piecing them out and freezing. Currently I'm buying the big packs of chicken breast, cooling/slicing to small pieces and then freezing them. Trying to get close to 1g/lb for protein intake. It's not that easy w/o a good portion of meat in the mix :smile:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    it depends - I normally have it for lunch - 6oz or so and then possibly at night depending on macros left for the day - I've found its easy to customize depending what I have left for the day
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat chicken. When I do, it's 100-150 grams.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I usually have about 150-200g of chicken in one go...but I alternate protein sources a lot. If chicken is on sale, it'll be in my diary lots - but I also eat eggs, beef, fish, tuna, and turkey. And also beans as a non-meat protein source.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't eat chicken every day and get protein from multiple sources.
    I had about 113 g of chicken today. The chicken represents less than half of the protein I am consuming today to meet my goal.

If that amount of chicken helps you reach your protein goal- and you like it- then it is a good amount.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I get protein from various sources...I eat more fish than I do chicken.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No, that's not a typo, and it would be higher, but I decided to pull one meal in the form of a whey iso shake.

Holy F-balls, Batman!
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken - it's what I have and the cheapest for me to get. I think I generally have in the 300-400g range on days when I eat chicken (some days I'm sick of chicken so I'll opt for something else). Like you said, it helps keep me full and get my protein in for the day. We do eat a lot of eggs, cottage cheese, tuna, greek yogurt, beans, etc as well but chicken is probably my main source. Plus it's really versatile so I can adapt it to whatever I feel like having that night which is also really nice.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Holy F-balls, Batman!

What can I say? It's one of the most convenient ways to cut. I can make all of my food for the day in one 45 minute window in the morning. The only thing faster would be using all shakes, but ain't nobody got room for all of those carbs and fats.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I eat between 200-225g protein a day. No chicken though, just plant-based protein. Not sure of your size, so hard to answer if the amount of protein you're aiming for is quite a bit or not. But sounds correct on average (at least for someone my size).
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You realize there are other protein sources, right?

I eat chicken but also sardines, salmon pouches, eggs, whey mixed into various things (like oatmeal), protein bars... There's nothing wrong with chicken but other sources of protein like fish have good stuff like Omega 3's.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you're talking just chicken, it's usually 160 - 190 grams of chicken per meal.

If you're talking overall protein, I average 80 - 120 grams a day, depending on what I'm eating (some days are more carb heavy).
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sometimes I'll have it daily if it's "chicken week" as far as lunch meal planning goes. About 2-3oz for lunch.

If chicken is the dinner meat, I'll have another 4oz at dinner. That's usually 1-3 times per week.

I keep a fairly decent rotation of beef, chicken, salmon, tuna, turkey, and pork through the week for lunches and dinner and I've been trying to incorporate at least one vegetarian dinner each week.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Most of my protein comes from chicken breast (fresh or canned), ground turkey, Greek yogurt and sometimes protein shakes.

It's not unusual for me to consume at least 200g of chicken a day.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Holy F-balls, Batman!

What can I say? It's one of the most convenient ways to cut. I can make all of my food for the day in one 45 minute window in the morning. The only thing faster would be using all shakes, but ain't nobody got room for all of those carbs and fats.

That's an entire family meal around these parts... jeez!