Losing weight while injured.

Options
lkmuse
lkmuse Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hello, I am new here. I have a question, how can you maximize your weight loss when exercising is painful?
I need to loose 50 lbs to save my knees which are hurting, lower my blood pressure, cholesterol and ward off diabetes. Actually weight loss will cure a lot of things for me, but in the meantime, my legs are really hurting. (have seen a doctor, in the process of determining a cause of the pain) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I would start out by just walking as long as you can. Each day push your self just a bit further. Good luck to you! You can do this.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lkmuse wrote: »
    Hello, I am new here. I have a question, how can you maximize your weight loss when exercising is painful?
    I need to loose 50 lbs to save my knees which are hurting, lower my blood pressure, cholesterol and ward off diabetes. Actually weight loss will cure a lot of things for me, but in the meantime, my legs are really hurting. (have seen a doctor, in the process of determining a cause of the pain) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

just put your stats into mfp and eat to your calorie goal. I would set yourself to sedentary and go from there. you dont need exercise to lose weight,all thats needed is a caloric deficit. also a lot of us have a food scale and weigh everything to be more precise in our calorie counts,its not needed but its really helpful. do that and give it a few months and see if you lost any weight.

exercise is mainly for health reasons. It can create a bigger deficit but you can lose weight without it. I wasnt able to workout or do much for 2 months due to being sick and having an injury,I still lost without conventional exercise.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is going to be the driving factor behind weight loss. Exercise just helps strengthen your body and give you a few more calories burned. Find low-impact stuff you can do, like walking, biking if your knees can handle it, consider starting with some light weights and building up from there. Also - asking your doctor what exercises are safe to do with your injury is a great start.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weight loss is mostly about the food.

Log your food, stay under calories.

How about an aquasize class? (Water aerobics), or just swimming if you like to swim. Canoeing or kayaking would be good too. That's what I did when I had a broken foot.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you can't stay very active just make sure to be on top of your game in the kitchen. Losing weight is mostly about diet. Exercise is great but not crucial, especially if you have a lot to lose. Like others have said, would swimming be an option for you?
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight at a great pace without additional exercise. It's all about calories in and calories out. Enter your stats honestly and follow the guidelines that MFP gives you and you will lose weight. This works! Good luck.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    lkmuse wrote: »

3 years ago I couldvarely walk with dreadful pains in my legs, I saw a physio who said my thigh muscles were extremely weak and I had very low Vit D levels. After excercising and losing 50 lbs I don't have any problems now. Once you are able do some armchair exceecises, and if able just step
    On the spot, it all helps. I hope you get some answers and that you can get done help from this site, it is very good.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly about calories, so you can do a lot just in tracking what you eat and limiting overall calories, while making sure to get enough protein & other nutrients.

If you're looking for low-impact exercises, water aerobics is good because the water supports a lot of your weight & takes the stress off the joints.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You lose weight when calories coming in are less than calories going out. Regular exercise makes this a bit easier as regular exercise increases your maintenance calories, but exercise isn't necessary where weight loss is concerned.
  • tgcake
    tgcake Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you want to add exercise to help with increasing your caloric output, you could try swimming or slow walking. Any sort of movement helps.
  • lkmuse
    lkmuse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your support!
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, calorie deficit is the thing to focus on if you can't really exercise! Everyone has a different BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is the number of calories your body burns over 24 hours of rest (so for example, if I did nothing but sleep for 24 hours my body would burn 1660 calories). This cal burn comes from heart pumping, lungs breathing, metabolism running etc. Yours will be different. It is based on a few factors, the major ones being height, weight and age. You can type in "my fitness pal BMR calculator" on google and it'll just ask you to input your info and it'll tell you what yours is. Make sure you eat a MINIMUM of your BMR (so for me, 1660) because your body needs that to function, and if you're trying to heal you need your body to be in best shape possible, but just don't eat anymore than your BMR and everything else you do during the day (walking, cleaning etc) will be a calorie deficit resulting in weight loss :)

On another note, I have TERRIBLE knees, and I've started doing my own physio. When I do my physio regularly, my pain is drastically decreased (by at least 95%). Knee physio really works on strengthening the VMO muscle which is the only muscle attached to the knee cap. So if this muscle isn't strong, our knees can't be supported properly. Physio really focuses on the tiny muscles, and strengthening SLOWLY! So go to google or Pinterest, type in "knee physio" and "ankle physio" and get a good selection of exercises and perform your routine 3 times per week. Remember to start really slowly, and use weights so light (if you even need weights at all) that it doesn't hurt. Good luck!