Diet and breastfeeding

Options
I recently had a baby and I am exclusively breastfeeding. Originally I started adjusting my diet to increase milk production but now I want to lose weight. I was told that I need to consume more calories to keep up production. My daily calorie intake is set at 1960, how many more calories should I consume for breastfeeding?

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You only need 3 to 500 calories to breastfeed, that's basically a typical weight loss deficit.

Breastfeeding is also the rare occasion when women's body prioritize fat mobilization.

So I think you should just eat at maintenance. Maybe add some calcium supplements. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    MY doctor told me to add 500 calories a day. And to not regularly eat below that because then you are compromising the nutritional value of your milk for the baby. Focus on eating clean, healthy meals.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I breastfed and dieted at the same time. You need to make sure that what you eat is 100% the nutrients you and the baby need no junk. If you are cutting calories your body will give the milk calories before it gives them to you but it has to have the nutrients to give those so you have to hit those numbers or it will steal from your muscles and bones to make up the difference. You also have to prioritize drinking fluids more than a normal dieter would. The thing that will cut your supply the fastest is if you do not have enough fluids on board. If there is mom eating doughnuts and pizza everyday and another who gets fewer calories but is eating lean protein and veggies the dieting mom will be healthier and so will her infant.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    You only need 3 to 500 calories to breastfeed, that's basically a typical weight loss deficit.

Breastfeeding is also the rare occasion when women's body prioritize fat mobilization.

So I think you should just eat at maintenance. Maybe add some calcium supplements. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

I typically hear that supply is the first thing to suffer if you cut while breastfeeding, but it isn't the same for everyone.

This post has alot of really great info about breastfeeding towards the bottom. It is typically advised to start at maintenance + breastfeeding calories (how much to accound for breastfeeding is discussed in the post). If you chose to decrease from there do it slowly and gradually to determine if your supply will be effected, and ensure you have supplemental nutrition handy for baby.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • aclark5520
    aclark5520 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! This information has been very helpful. I noticed lately I have been having supply issues and after tracking my food for a day I am not consuming enough. :)