Off-Ice figure skater exercises?

Options
I'm a beginner in figure skating, and in case you were a figure skater yourself or just someone with knowledge about this, then what type of off-ice exercises do you do/recommend (as a figure skater or for figure Skaters)

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    when i ice skated competitively, a zillion years ago, i complimented it with ballet and gymnastics.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I've done specific exercises to help with strength. One legged box jumps (obviously it would start really low), jump squats, single leg deadlifts, side walks with bands.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I love to watch figure skating!
  • teahlee123
    teahlee123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I run to help with endurance, and do some individual leg and core work to help with form. Mostly make sure your muscles are balanced, having improperly balanced muscles increases the instance of injury. Also, try not to neglect your back muscles, also helps with form!
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @synchkat is the queen of figure skating. She might know
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    @synchkat is the queen of figure skating. She might know

Haha i may know a thing or two

Most important that no one thinks of is your core. A floppy core means lack of balance and great difficulty doing anything really.

Maybe do some calf raises to strengthen your lower legs because when you're starting out that will get tired first.

But most importantly I'd say work on your core. I partner people for dance tests and the ones who pick things up easiest are the ones with a strong core. Lats I use a lot too. They help with holding you up and straight.

And remember when you're skating bend not only your knees but ankles too :)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I ice skated in my youth and supplemented with ballet. Core strength would definitely be beneficial. Stretching to improve flexibility. I would think strength training for your legs/glutes would be very helpful for jumps.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'd do stuff you'd do while figure skating, except on roller blades. Some things might not transfer well, but that's probably as close as you're going to get.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    when i ice skated competitively, a zillion years ago, i complimented it with ballet and gymnastics.

Ditto.

These days, I hear the really competitive skaters do quite a bit of heavy lifting as well and focus on the explosiveness of the lift.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    I'd do stuff you'd do while figure skating, except on roller blades. Some things might not transfer well, but that's probably as close as you're going to get.

i don't think roller blading is even remotely close to ice skating, It may be beneficial but just as an endurance exercise like running or eliptical, but they are nowhere close to the same type of activity.
  • mgalovic01
    Options

i don't think roller blading is even remotely close to ice skating, It may be beneficial but just as an endurance exercise like running or eliptical, but they are nowhere close to the same type of activity.

How do you figure?
  • SonyaCele
    Options

How do you figure?

have you figure skated?
  • mgalovic01
    edited March 2017
    Options

How do you figure?

have you figure skated?

No. I know there's some twirling stuff you can't do on roller blades, but you could practice a lot of the beginner stuff on them.
  • synchkat
    Options
    You can do very similar movements on roller blades but falling on pavement hurts more than falling on ice so might as well just do it all on ice.

Stopping is completely different and doesn't transfer from roller to ice. I know lots of people who have switched from roller skating to ice skating really easily actually.

but the OP said she's a beginner she just needs to work on basics like figuring out body alignment and core strength and balance. It takes a lot to convince people that skating uses the core a lot but I've been saved from many falls by keeping a strong core and bending my knees
  • SonyaCele
    Options

synchkat wrote: »
    You can do very similar movements on roller blades but falling on pavement hurts more than falling on ice so might as well just do it all on ice.

Stopping is completely different and doesn't transfer from roller to ice. I know lots of people who have switched from roller skating to ice skating really easily actually.

but the OP said she's a beginner she just needs to work on basics like figuring out body alignment and core strength and balance. It takes a lot to convince people that skating uses the core a lot but I've been saved from many falls by keeping a strong core and bending my knees

i can see switching from roller to ice easily, but i'd fall on my face on roller blades. its more than just stopping thats different. Using the edges of the blades with the ice is none stop in ice skating , except maybe going in a straight line. anything i did that wasn't in a straight line , i was working a very specific part of the blade edge against the ice, and working with the ice, carving and sliding against the ice. You can't simulate any of that in roller blades or you will crash

but yeah as a beginner, core strength, leg strength, too, there is a lot of squat type movements, single leg squats, explosive jumps from squat or semi squat. I remember coming home crying because my legs would hurt so bad after long hard training. Flexibility agility and endurance all are helpful.
  • synchkat
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

i can see switching from roller to ice easily, but i'd fall on my face on roller blades. its more than just stopping thats different. Using the edges of the blades with the ice is none stop in ice skating , except maybe going in a straight line. anything i did that wasn't in a straight line , i was working a very specific part of the blade edge against the ice, and working with the ice, carving and sliding against the ice. You can't simulate any of that in roller blades or you will crash

but yeah as a beginner, core strength, leg strength, too, there is a lot of squat type movements, single leg squats, explosive jumps from squat or semi squat. I remember coming home crying because my legs would hurt so bad after long hard training. Flexibility agility and endurance all are helpful.

I remember when roller blades came out we'd adjust the blades so we'd have a rocker We would bomb around doing cross cuts and spread eagles, shoot the ducks all with our lovely extensions. You can still go around curves and get the feel for skating but as I said stopping won't transfer over

Beginners on ice are typically working on one foot glides, maybe a two foot jump, or a turn from forwards to backwards and vice versa. They don't need to worry about deep edges yet. Just simple basics and balance and strength will suffice at the beginning. Mastering the one foot glide is often a feat in itself and is typically not achieved because they just can't figure out how to transfer their weight....so dance classes can help with this. I taught a girl the other day who is a ballet dancer and she picked everything up super quickly because she understood about this
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I haven't thought about skating in years; it's cool to see so many who are into it. Core strength is what caused me the most problems, probably obliques.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm Terrible but the pro sync is right .most people Who eventually bend there knees enough still have there skates way to tight at the top and don't get proper ankle bend
  • synchkat
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »
    I'm Terrible but the pro sync is right .most people Who eventually bend there knees enough still have there skates way to tight at the top and don't get proper ankle bend

I actually like my skates quite tight, always have, and I like to bend a lot which explains why there's blood stains in my boots and why my skates never last very long and since my boots come from Vienna I guess I need a European vacation. :)
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I like bottom snug middle fairly tight and top 2 looser