Gym work getting stale

Options
I've been hitting the gym fairly regularly for about 5 months now and while I've managed to lose a fair amount of weight so far, every additional kilo seems to be getting harder to shift. I've still got a lot to go so really want to kick start things.

My gym work is 30 mins of cardio (usually cross trainer - running is out due to knee problems) followed by another 30 minutes of resistance. The resistance will usually consist of mid-intensity work on machines (legs, chest arms etc) or body weight with either a swiss ball or using the TRX. While this has seemed to work so far I feel I'm not getting the most out of my time in the gym and could do much more. I'd also like to incorporate some other exercises / equipment like kettlebells or medicine ball to mix things up. The trouble is that I don't really know where to start with these!

Does anyone have any advice or resources for how to mix things up a bit and ensure I get the most out of my workout?

Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've been hitting the gym fairly regularly for about 5 months now and while I've managed to lose a fair amount of weight so far, every additional kilo seems to be getting harder to shift. I've still got a lot to go so really want to kick start things.

My gym work is 30 mins of cardio (usually cross trainer - running is out due to knee problems) followed by another 30 minutes of resistance. The resistance will usually consist of mid-intensity work on machines (legs, chest arms etc) or body weight with either a swiss ball or using the TRX. While this has seemed to work so far I feel I'm not getting the most out of my time in the gym and could do much more. I'd also like to incorporate some other exercises / equipment like kettlebells or medicine ball to mix things up. The trouble is that I don't really know where to start with these!

Does anyone have any advice or resources for how to mix things up a bit and ensure I get the most out of my workout?

Thanks!

Try changing up your workout routine and use more free weights and less machines. Also try doing your weights fist then cardio, that way you are burning more fat during cardio as you would have already used up some of your glycogen stores.

It is recommended to change up your routine every 4-6 weeks to keep your body guessing.
  • lmonei25
    lmonei25 Posts: 2
    Options
    If your gym offers group classes I would take some of them like zumba! If you can ride a bike (I know you said you have knee issues) the try that when the sun is going down that is a good total body workout. And also you and you friends can do team workouts.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    How about doing your resistance training before your cardio? That will let you be fresh for the weights. Kettlebells are great. But either get a trainer to show you the proper form or at a minimum study some videos. You can definitely hurt yourself with them if you do things wrong. Dragon Door and Art of Strength are both good sources for kettlebells, books, and videos. Art of Strength even has a lot of free videos right on their website. I personally like to work out to their "Providence" DVD.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    IF YOU CANT RUN.DO THE ELIPTICAL LESS IMPACT ON KNEES.TRY GETTING OFF THE MACHINES AND DO FREE WEIGHTS.JUST A THOUGHT
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I started doing cardio from home or outdoors a couple of days a week. Then I would try other machines I hadn't tried before until I built up cardio stamina with those.

Change the music on your IPOD if you haven't done it yet. That makes a huge difference.
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options

Try changing up your workout routine and use more free weights and less machines. Also try doing your weights fist then cardio, that way you are burning more fat during cardio as you would have already used up some of your glycogen stores.

It is recommended to change up your routine every 4-6 weeks to keep your body guessing.
    [/quote]

thanks for typing for me :)
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Try doing free weight versions of the exercises that you're doing on the machines. Using barbells, dumbbells and kettle balls will use more muscles (and thus burn more calories) than using strictly machines. I would also do your strength training before the cardio so that you have more energy to put into your workouts. Also, try changing up the intensity of your workouts with heavier weight/fewer reps days and lighter weight/more reps days.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Free weights will definitely kick start things for you. Get the gym instructors to show you - you should be able to get a routine as part of your membership. You could also try a Body Pump class.

Here's a beginner's strength training workout with videos of each move.
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner-fullbody-workout.html
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Sorry @erickirb, I generally agree with much of the advice that you give on here but this part is complete nonsense and prevents people from understanding quality programming. If you have a good strength routine/program that uses some type of progression and is at a high enough intensity you don’t need to change your program at all for some time. By progression I mean a systematic method of increasing the resistance (5lbs every time you perform the lift, every week etc…) and by intensity I mean a high percentage of your maximum capacity (80% of your 1RM for example). Having a scheduled method of increasing your strength and achieving new PRs will keep a program from getting boring. I definitely don’t get bored with squatting more weight every week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Sorry @erickirb, I generally agree with much of the advice that you give on here but this part is complete nonsense and prevents people from understanding quality programming. If you have a good strength routine/program that uses some type of progression and is at a high enough intensity you don’t need to change your program at all for some time. By progression I mean a systematic method of increasing the resistance (5lbs every time you perform the lift, every week etc…) and by intensity I mean a high percentage of your maximum capacity (80% of your 1RM for example). Having a scheduled method of increasing your strength and achieving new PRs will keep a program from getting boring. I definitely don’t get bored with squatting more weight every week.

I know there are programs like that, but progress will slow down tremendously after the first few months, and even plateau. I use to workout like this and would have shoulder issues from it as well. You can still get results that way, but this is mainly for increasing strength, overall fitness results come much faster if you change things up.

I don't mean that you will increase your bench or squat weights by switching, I mean overall calorie burn and fitness level will be increased. If you take time away from bench then go back to it you will actually lose some strength, but you will get back to where you were pretty quickly.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Changing up your routine isnt complete nonsense. You typically change up your routine until you find one that works for you. You stick with that routine until you stop seeing results. Your progression method is grest for those interested in maximizing there lifts, but not everyone is interested in powerlifting or bodybuilding type programs. Crossfit routines are a good example of this as you rarely do the same routine over and over yet you achieve maximum results based on your effort. This is done sometimes with primarily bodyweight exercises, they also incorporate olympic style lifts and yes there are routines where you push your weights to maximum effort. Remember that not everyone is interested in 300 lb bench presses or 400 pound squats. They want routines to trim the fat and burn the calories and maybe show some definition.
  • lexy3587
    lexy3587 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    not really a solution in terms of staying at your gym... but try something like boxing or kickboxing (some gyms offer that as an additional cost to the original membership)... or doing cross-fit (they have their own gyms) - they mix up the workout for you, and you have a team-type environment, which I find really makes a difference. They focus a lot on combining weight training and cardio, and they ensure that whatever you're doing continues to be challenging as you get stronger. It is almost like having a personal trainer, but in a more group-setting. Sounds like you just need to alter your routine, find something fun to keep your interest.
  • End6ame
    Options

I know there are programs like that, but progress will slow down tremendously after the first few months, and even plateau. I use to workout like this and would have shoulder issues from it as well. You can still get results that way, but this is mainly for increasing strength, overall fitness results come much faster if you change things up.

I don't mean that you will increase your bench or squat weights by switching, I mean overall calorie burn and fitness level will be increased. If you take time away from bench then go back to it you will actually lose some strength, but you will get back to where you were pretty quickly.

I still have to disagree based upon the fact the “fitness level” is difficult to actually measure and is typically just used as a buzz word. I would define fitness level (this is my own definition) as the combination of strength, speed, power, agility, and endurance; all of which, when measured independently will combine to give you your overall fitness. So based upon your example, if my strength decreases so does my overall fitness level. Now, I recognize that you cannot train for everything at one time and that you need specificity to training so you will have to train in a cycled fashion to achieve conflicting goals. For example, It is difficult to train for both speed and endurance in anyone other than an absolute beginner. That being said, you do not need to lose one to focus on another, that would be very poor programming.

My overall point is that you need to be focused on something and not have the every 4-6 week training ADD that so many people have. Most people here are on caloric deficit so I will tailor the following example to that scenario. You can train for strength until you can no longer progress as a result of your caloric deficit. Then you can put strength training on maintenance where you will still lift at about 80% of your 1RMs and transfer your primary focus to endurance training. This will provide little to no strength loss and will increase your overall fitness level as per my definition above.

I am actually currently using this very method. I took my squat from 185lbs to 325lbs in 7 months increasing my work weight 5lbs every time I performed the lift. Realizing I reached my maximum strength while on a caloric deficit I have put strength training on maintenance where I slightly reduced my work weight and am building back up in weekly increments of 2.5lbs while simultaneously training for a Warrior Dash and Spartan Race.

It really all comes down to an understanding of programming and how your body responds to stress.
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    P90x whole program is changing the workouts on a weekly basis.

Stay with a program for a month then change it up

Example of how I started
    All work outs are done with a 5-10 min dynamic warm up.
    M - Heavy weights, 4-6 reps Total reps 25
    W - Medium weights, 10-12 reps total 35
    F - Light weights, 20-22 rep total 41

Push, Pull, Squat, Lunge
    Monday
    Chest - DB press
    Back - Cable Pulldown
    Arms - DB Curl / Tricep kickback
    Squat - Goblet Squat
    Lunge - Alternating Lunge

Weds
    Chest - DB Decline Press
    Back - DB Row
    Arms - DB hammer curl / Tricep Pushdown
    Squat - Sumo Squat
    Lunge - Alternating Reverse

Friday
    Chest - Push ups
    Back - Pull ups
    Squat - Goblet
    Lunge - Walking Lunge

Month 2
    Week 1 & 2
    M W F
    Monday
    Chest - DB Press / DB Press Decline, Dips
    Back - Cable Pulldown / DB Row
    Squat - Sumo Squat, Goblet Squat
    Lunge - Walking Lunge / Reverse Lunge

Weds
    Chest - DB Incline Pess, / DB Decline Press
    Back - Lat Pulldown / DB Row / Inverted Row
    Squat - Goblet Squat, Sumo Squat, Bulgarian Split Squat
    Lunge - Walking Lunge, Reverse Lunge

Fri
    Chest - DB press, Dips,
    Back - Inverted Row, DB Row
    Squat - Goblet, Body Weight Squat, Sumo Squat
    Lunge - Walking Lunge w/ Twist, Reverse Lunge
  • End6ame
    Options
    Changing up your routine isnt complete nonsense. You typically change up your routine until you find one that works for you. You stick with that routine until you stop seeing results. Your progression method is grest for those interested in maximizing there lifts, but not everyone is interested in powerlifting or bodybuilding type programs. Crossfit routines are a good example of this as you rarely do the same routine over and over yet you achieve maximum results based on your effort. This is done sometimes with primarily bodyweight exercises, they also incorporate olympic style lifts and yes there are routines where you push your weights to maximum effort. Remember that not everyone is interested in 300 lb bench presses or 400 pound squats. They want routines to trim the fat and burn the calories and maybe show some definition.

Crossfit does not train to “achieve maximum results”. Crossfit takes the approach of throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. Like I said in another post, to maximize results you need training specificity, period. This is understood by anyone that has done any significant research in programming. Will you improve your fitness level (based upon my definition in the previous post) using Crossfit? Yes, but only to a certain point. To continue training in that manner will produce mediocre results. There is no Swiss army knife for overall fitness; to get stronger you need to strength train, to get more endurance you need to train specifically for it.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Can't show definition of non-existent muscles. . .
  • AuntNiecey
    AuntNiecey Posts: 26
    Options
    I love all the answers so far. What I did recently was get a trainer (forked out the extra $ and cut back on some other non-essentials) that came referred by someone that has been working out for awhile.

Good luck and hang in there!
  • tomwhild
    tomwhild Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow, loads to take in there guys, thanks! The free weights definitely sound like a good plan, and i hadn't really thought about putting the weights before the cardio, so will give that a go too. I think a couple of PT sessions might be in order to get the techniques sorted too!
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    Wow, loads to take in there guys, thanks! The free weights definitely sound like a good plan, and i hadn't really thought about putting the weights before the cardio, so will give that a go too. I think a couple of PT sessions might be in order to get the techniques sorted too!

Doing weight training before your Cardio burns any sugar in your system. Anything else after that hit your fat storage.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    lan918 :Can't show definition of non-existent muscles....
    Were your muscles not carrying you around when you began your journey at 316 lbs?

In my experience with Crossfit routines, like any exercise program, you get you of it what you put into it. If you put forth your maximum effort, you should receive maximum results. That goes with any exercise routine you decide to do. I dont have to research programming to understand that the harder I work, the more I will achieve. Do I need to change my routine if I am not seeing results, sure I do. If I fail on my Bench max effort because I cant push the bar up after the halfway point, I need to change my routine to incorporate more tricep work since they are failing me, or maybe go lighter and do some speed work with the bar to push through my sticking point or maybe do some floor presses.
    I dont think that anyone that can complete the crossfit workout murph :
    1 mile Run
    100 Pull-ups
    200 Push-ups
    300 Squats
    1 mile Run
    would be considered to have mediocre results in their strength or endurance capabilities.