Help

Options
gabrielleelliott90
gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Surely I should of earned extra calories ?! . I'm not very active, have done nearly 10000 steps today, (9537). My goal calories to lose half a lb are 1650. Current weight is 12 stone 5.8 height is 5"4, goal weight 9 stone 2. Withings says that calories burned 1677 full day projection based on 1334 burned as of 19:40. MFP calories burned 1904, 0 from exercise.

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    BUMP
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Based on what you've said, your device says you have burned 1334 as of 19:40 and based on that MFP expects you to burn 1677 once midnight rolls around. If you're eating 1650 to lose .5 pounds per week then you are supposed to burn 1900 per day. So you're behind schedule.

Check your MFP settings...
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Ps-I do not know anything about your device. But based on your stats, your BMR is ~1500 roughly. So to only be on course to hit 1677 by the end of the day when you've had a 10k step day does seem a bit odd. Actually, to only hit 1677 in 24 hours you'd probably need to move very little.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I have a withings pulse ox/ o2 as it used to be called. When I had a fitbit it would always give me calories around the 6000 step mark at least.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. Is MFP saying your calories for the day are now 1900 where they are usually 1650 without activity/exercise?
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Sorry to clarify I have to eat 1650 to lose half a pound a week according to myfitnesspal and yeah that's without exercise. Myfitnesspal said I had burned 1900 but not as part of exercising, the only exercise I did today was walking which my withings pulse collected. As of 22:21 withings has burned 1623 and mfp 1904. I'm my withings pulse it says I have burned 348 cal, and also 1981 cal. I'm so confused.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    So you have been given extra calories for steps. Steps are not exercise unless logged separately in some way but you have still been credited with extra calories. I don't see the issue?

For example. I go for a purposeful brisk 1 hour walk and wear my heart rate monitor and track it with the exercise app on my watch. that would log as exercise.

Or, I go about my day, doing my usual thing, maybe walking a bit more because I went to the park, wandered round the shops or whatever. I haven't told my tracker this is exercise, it's just counting the steps. That data is sent to MFP and it just gives me more calories without saying it was purposeful exercise.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    No next to the withings pulse steps is 0 calories in my diary.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    With my body and fitbit if I do even 3000 steps mfp will say I've burnt so and so against the fitbit steps
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    But you said your calorie allowance for the day has gone on up on MFP.

Can you take a screenshot of your MFP home page showing the steps/calorie adjustments.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I'll do that when I'm next on my laptop which will be in the morning as it is nearly midnight here
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Bump
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    I honestly think something is not right w/ the way your device is calculating your calories.

Some trackers estimate your daily TOTAL calorie burn based on your movement. When synced to MFP, that results in 'extra' calories earned if you are due to burn more than MFP projected based on your stated activity level. Based on your first post, your device indicated your total daily burn was going to be lower than what MFP projected, so no calories earned. But based on your BMR and level of activity, the tracker total calories burned was abnormally low.

Check your device... Make sure its set to your correct stats. Was it working previously, awarding extra calories for very active days? Or has it never seemed right on your calorie burn?