What do you wear for winter outdoor runs?

Rushgirl82
Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm in Alberta, Canada and I am on a good roll with my C25K program. We got a butt load of snow this weekend, which I normally find beautiful, and also it's cold and windy. I hate the treadmill and want to go run out in this beautiful winter wonder land but bulking up in parkas is no fun and my sunglasses fog up all the time. Any winter outdoor running tips to stay warm but comfortable at the same time? :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I live in Minnesota, so I've dealt with this issue.

Do you have a running store in your area? I've gotten some warm, but lighter weight jackets designed specifically for running. They help a lot. I also got some insulated tights to keep my legs warm. With earcovers, gloves,insulated tights, a jacket, and a warm mid-layer (like a pullover), I have run in temperatures as low as -12 (though I will usually add a balaclava if it is 10 or below).
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Go for a x-country ski. |Use the snow. What to wear-synthetic long underwear under a pair of fleece pants, sports bra-not cotton-long sleeve base layer, mid weight base layer and then a fleece shirt-add windproof jacket and maybe vest-add a neck warmer and toque gloves are warmer than mitts
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Thanks. Yeah we have a running stores here. Super expensive and never really knew how much they worked. But it sounds totally worth it! It's the bulkiness that puts me off big time. I will start shopping! Lol.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    You'll want to have something over your mouth like a scarf tied in the back or one of those ski mask looking things with no mouth hole. Also, gloves for sure. I wear sweat pants, an undershirt, hoodie, a beanie, and a jacket on top of that if it's really cold. If you warm up too much, you can put your gloves in your hoodie or jacket pockets, remove your hood, and or hat, and unzip your coat and pull your scarf down from over your mouth.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    I've run down to single digit temps with a polypropylene undershirt and a dry fit long sleeve with a hood over that along with mid weight running tights, wool socks and a pair of gloves. I usually wear a buff for a hat under the hood. My beard keeps my face warm and I can't stand having something cloth over my face due to the moisture issue. Much above single digits and I sub the poly for a t-shirt under the outer dry fit shirt. I sweat like a pig so much more would be way too much to wear for me.