Calorie Counter on Phone vs. HRM Caloric count

Options
So I run with both my HRM (which is a watch around my wrist, I dont have the money to buy the fancy schmancy one) and my cell phone ( i listen to music on it) while I am running. I am getting kind of irriated . I ran 3 Miles this morning , my HRM said I burned 830 Calories, meanwhile an App on my phone said I burned 308 Calories. I dont know which one to believe.

I know the HRM takes into account my heart rate so there for I want to believe that count, but then my phone app is taking Elevation, GPS, Speed and Miles ran into account.

Im a little overwhelmed and confused at something that should be so easy to understand.

Any Suggestions?

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the phone App is more accurate. The average person burns about 100 calories per mile on foot and 40 calories per mile on a bike (slight adjustments for height, weight, and overall fitness of course, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb).
  • kck21886
    kck21886 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you ! I kind of figured!!!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Uhhh,I dont think I would believe you phone,my hrm is right on and its not fancy at all.everyone burns diffrently depending on weight,how vigerous your run,hills and speed.My run burns are diffrent everyday,its how much effort i put into them that makes it lower or higher
  • kck21886
    kck21886 Posts: 19
    Options
    See now im confused, LOL

I feel silly
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you were a 450lb person who sustained their *maximum* heart rate (~200) for 45 minutes straight and didn't die you would burn about 800 calories. http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    Sorry, but the phone App is more accurate. The average person burns about 100 calories per mile on foot and 40 calories per mile on a bike (slight adjustments for height, weight, and overall fitness of course, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb).
    I agree.

Sadly the lower figure is usually the right one if you're not sure :(.