Lower in calories but higher in sodium

Options
Had a question about sodium intake.

Sometimes for snacks, I usually eat progresso lite soup, Birdseye sautéed veggies, and fruit. I know the fruit aren't nearly as bad, but the veggies and soup are high in sodium. However they are very low in calories.

For instance beef pot roast is 160 calories for a while can and broccoli and carrots sautéed are about 75 for the whole bag.

I was curious is it bad to eat to much sodium. I mean I know it is. However I want to lose weight and one way I was going to try, was to substitute bigger meals with a soup veggie and fruit. I know my sodium will increase but so will my calorie deficit.

Im not looking to harm myself, I goto the gym Monday through friday for usually an hour and a half from weights and cardio as well the pool and even sauna and steam room.

Replies

• BOGZ88
    BOGZ88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Will I lose weight if I had 3/4 cans of soup a day equaling up to 700-800 calories which would be roughly half my days intake
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the amount your taking in.
    To much can be bad, but so can to little.
    I believe the recommended is on average 2300mg.
    But if your like me on a really low carb diet you need much more (5000ish).
    The more you work out the more you would need extra sodium.
    I would guess if your eating regular food and not adding sodium to it, you won't get too much (unless you have a specific medical condition that limits it).
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    If you are not under doctor's orders to reduce sodium I would not worry about it. If you are exercising at all you probably need additional sodium to compensate for sweating anyway.
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    anyone would lose weight on 800 calories, so i would hope this would not be ALL you eat.
    800 calories a day is not healthy.

This! I didn't see your second post. But yeah you definitely would, but that's not necessarily a good thing.
    To little of caloric intake can be unhealthy.
    You may want to consider a few more calories for a safer long-term loss.
    You could always enhance it with something like intermittent fasting or something. .but 800 a day everyday may not be a good idea. Imo
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    BOGZ88 wrote: »

I was curious is it bad to eat to much sodium. I mean I know it is.

It is not unless your doctor told you to watch it for example due to high blood pressure.
    I in contrast have to (was told to) eat very high sodium because I have low blood pressure.
  • BOGZ88
    Options
    OP.. I would like you to come back please and at least verify that you will eat the recommended 1500 calories for a male NET.
    WG_Keto wrote: »
    anyone would lose weight on 800 calories, so i would hope this would not be ALL you eat.

This! I didn't see your second post. But yeah you definitely would, but that's not necessarily a good thing.
    To little of caloric intake can be unhealthy.
    You may want to consider a few more calories for a safer long-term loss.
    You could always enhance it with something like intermittent fasting or something. .but 800 a day everyday may not be a good idea. Imo

I want to assure everyone I eat anywhere between 1600-2000 a day with daily exercise. I was curious on the sodium because I want my diet atleast for a few weeks to consist of mostly boxed or canned food. With that being said I intend to eat healthy. As mentioned before I eat plenty of fruit and veggies and I also have protein shakes. The reason behind canned or boxed is so I know the exact amount of calories I consume with out weighting or guessing. I just got nervous that having 3-5 soups a day with over 1000mg in each soup, I wasn't sure If I can't hurt myself. Again I do use the sauna and steam room regularly so I sweat there as well as cardio and weight. Thanks everyone for all the help and future help!
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting fresh veggies to make your own soup if you can. That way, you don't have to worry about extra sodium that canned and packaged products would have.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you increase your water intake to account for the extra sodium it will probably not have too much impact on your weight loss. If you're not drinking enough water and eating more sodium heavy foods, you may find you retain more water and that this masks your actual weight loss.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you balance out the sodium with potassium (2mg potassium per 1mg sodium) then sodium isn't quite so bad for you. Also, if you get in sufficient exercise you need more sodium than most people. Canned soups tend to be high in sodium because so many people are conditioned to want salty food. Homemade soups taste better and really don't take that much longer to make.
  • BOGZ88
    Options
    I would suggest getting fresh veggies to make your own soup if you can. That way, you don't have to worry about extra sodium that canned and packaged products would have.
    If you balance out the sodium with potassium (2mg potassium per 1mg sodium) then sodium isn't quite so bad for you. Also, if you get in sufficient exercise you need more sodium than most people. Canned soups tend to be high in sodium because so many people are conditioned to want salty food. Homemade soups taste better and really don't take that much longer to make.

I appreciate everyone's help and I will also either make or add to a canned soup, add more water and veggies so sodium goes down and I get more full from veggies. I'm going to try this out and post back in 15 days with results if I get them. Thanks again everyone