Can Someone look at my food diary and give me some pointers?

Options
I have been on a 1200 calorie diet now for 30 days and I have been walking on the average of 3 to 5 miles a day, according to my fitbit. My goal was to jump start myself at 1200 calories for 30 days and to lose 25 lbs. (I lost 17) I want to progress myself to the calories that mfp has recommended, but for the last 3 weeks I have only lost approximately 2.5 lb a week. I have been faithful to my diet and I have been weighing and logging all food that I ingest. I feel that I should have lost more weight then I have and fear that I will gain back what I lost if I switch to the recommended mfp calorie intake. I have opened my food diary as public and kindly ask someone to look at it and give me some pointers and their thoughts.

Thanks again,
Dean

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    2.5 pounds a week is A LOT! How much are you trying to lose total??
  • chief3202
    chief3202 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was 303 and my first goal is 220
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    "Only" 2.5 pounds a week? That's actually too fast. You should be eating at least 1500 calories after exercise, if not your goal. Eating that low puts you at risk to lose more muscle, as well as a host of potential health issues.
  • Stella3838
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For guys, there is a general recommendation to not go below 1500 calories, mainly to ensure that you are getting the proper nutrients. Not to mention that 1200 is likely not going to be sustainable for you. Second, folks with +100 pounds to lose are generally recommended to lose not more than 2 pounds a week. This is marathon, not a sprint. I would advise bringing your calories up. There are many, many, many, many examples of people here that can actually EAT and still lose weight. You didn't gain this in a few weeks. You won't lose it that fast (or shouldn't for sustainability).
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You're losing at an unhealthy rate, and your diary makes me sad. Please eat more.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you are a grown man eating the calories that a toddler eats in a day!? not good!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1200 calories is very low for a guy, there is absolutlely no need to be that low especially at the weight you are, you could do yourself some serious damage. Stick to the goal that MFP has given you. I was 255lb when I started and I'm eating 1500-1800 on a normal day and was losing at the expected rate (2lb per week). It's also designed for you to eat back your exercise calories (most people will eat around 50% back in case of inaccurate calorie burn numbers).

Looking at your diary, your sodium levels are quite high because of the fast food you're logging, that will cause water retention and mask your weight loss, which could be why you're feeling you're not getting any results, even though you're losing at a pretty high rate. Cut down on the sodium if you can and increase your water intake.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Well, from high 200's the loss of 2.5/week is easily doable. Here's the problem, though. You are in a daily deficit greater than 500 calories. Staying in a deficit that severe for 2 months causes your NEAT to decline. Once you drag your NEAT down, you start getting frustrated with slowing weight loss.

A way to reset your NEAT to normal is to have a day or two each month of eating at your maintenance level, which is about 2400. That will make a temporary increase in weight as you collect water, but that drains away quickly as you return to your calorie deficit.
  • pineappleroo
    pineappleroo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me and creep my food log
  • chief3202
    Options
    Sorry Bonnie that my diary makes you sad and I know the calories are low. But after 2 years, my foot injury for some unknown reason is allowing me to be mobile and I am trying to take advantage of the situation. I put on over 80 lbs within 2 year and it's hard for me to digest this. My former job required me to be in shape and it's hard to accept the way my body is now. I am working extra hard to achieve my goals. I am use to losing weight fast but age has creeped up on me and I guess my metabolism has slowed.

Thanks for your reply
  • Stella3838
    Options
    chief3202 wrote: »
    Sorry Bonnie that my diary makes you sad and I know the calories are low. But after 2 years, my foot injury for some unknown reason is allowing me to be mobile and I am trying to take advantage of the situation. I put on over 80 lbs within 2 year and it's hard for me to digest this. My former job required me to be in shape and it's hard to accept the way my body is now. I am working extra hard to achieve my goals. I am use to losing weight fast but age has creeped up on me and I guess my metabolism has slowed.

Thanks for your reply

So, two years to put on the weight. It could (and probably should) take you 1-2 years to take it back off. Do you understand what some of us are trying to tell you? I mean that in the nicest way. Many times, when weight is lost too quickly, it's easily gained back. People need to learn healthy eating habits. Develop a practice that is sustainable. Slow and steady wins this race. You really need to eat more. Closer to what MFP is telling you. MFP has worked for LOTS of people when followed correctly. Trust in that. Do yourself a favor and stop rushing this and figure out how to make this a lifestyle.
  • cnurenasue
    cnurenasue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think you should move to what MFP suggests. I agree with everyone else that you are not eating enough. If you are able to, I would cut way back on the processed foods if you can. Even the low sodium ones have too much salt. I agree with the poster above that you might be carrying more water weight.

Maybe you could try eating more diuretic foods:myhealthtips.in/2014/01/20-natural-diuretic-foods-to-lose-weight-and-lower-blood-pressure.html

If you don't have time to cook during the week, maybe prepare meals during the weekend that you can eat during the week.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1200 calorie diet now for 30 days and I have been walking on the average of 3 to 5 miles a day, according to my fitbit. My goal was to jump start myself at 1200 calories for 30 days and to lose 25 lbs. (I lost 17) I want to progress myself to the calories that mfp has recommended, but for the last 3 weeks I have only lost approximately 2.5 lb a week. I have been faithful to my diet and I have been weighing and logging all food that I ingest. I feel that I should have lost more weight then I have and fear that I will gain back what I lost if I switch to the recommended mfp calorie intake. I have opened my food diary as public and kindly ask someone to look at it and give me some pointers and their thoughts.

Thanks again,
    Dean

2.5 lbs a week is a lot! My goal is .5-1 per week. A loss is a loss. As long as you aren't consistently gaining or stuck then you're doing fine.
  • BigBadBobbyG
    BigBadBobbyG Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dean,

Great job. Don't worry about your slower rate of weight loss, 3-8 lbs per month is a good, healthy guideline although everyone's situation is different. And my experience is that your body will occasionally "fight back" which could be a sign you are losing too much too quickly but could also be for other reasons. Keep it up but realize there will be peaks and valleys!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Dean, great job in wanting to make changes and well done for the amount you're walking but, as everyone else on here has said, your calorie intake is too low. Increase up to whatever MFP recommended for you - it's still going to be less than what you were eating originally - and, on top of that, eat half of however may calories your exercise seemingly allows. You will still lose weight, slowly, safely and sustainably.
  • nanpfeffer
    nanpfeffer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Should we be eating back 50% of burned calories every day? I have not done that very often. Will I loose more weight that way? I've been loosing very slow.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nanpfeffer wrote: »
    Should we be eating back 50% of burned calories every day? I have not done that very often. Will I loose more weight that way? I've been loosing very slow.

Eating more calories will not cause you to lose weight faster. The reason to eat your activity calories is to ensure you're meeting your body's needs for energy. But if you're losing weight slower than you are expecting, increasing your calories may not be the best thing for you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    just looking at your diary makes me feel hungry - your MFP daily goal factors in your goal weight and you are at times under it by 1000 calories
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have not looked at your diary but after reading this I wonder about your expectations.

According to your Fitbit, how much of a deficit have you created for the past 30 days? A 17 pound weight loss in one month is HUGE and probably not the wisest. At 300+ pounds starting you can perhaps manage more than 2 pounds lost per week for a while, but its still going to be very tough unless you're very active. And if you're very active you'll need more food to keep your energy levels up. 1-2 pounds per week is a more realistic level.

Thanks again,
    Dean

• chief3202
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their input!! I will increase calories and see what happens. I will report back in 7 days and leave my diary open for the public. I would appreciate it if some of you could take the time and look at my diary during the next week. If something catches your attention that I need to eliminate or adjust, please feel free to message me.

Thanks again,
    Dean