You can run off the pounds

Options
_Bro
_Bro Posts: 437 Member
So if you are looking to shred away fat is cardio with of course a good diet the optimal answer?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Optimal is different for everyone. Eating in a calorie deficit 'shreds' fat, while eating in the same deficit and doing cardio exercises 'shreds' more fat, and even eating in the same calorie deficit and doing cardio and lifting weight will 'shred' a little more. All this fat shredding doesn't address muscle-building.
  • _Bro
    Options
    Optimal is different for everyone. Eating in a calorie deficit 'shreds' fat, while eating in the same deficit and doing cardio exercises 'shreds' more fat, and even eating in the same calorie deficit and doing cardio and lifting weight will 'shred' a little more. All this fat shredding doesn't address muscle-building.

So while you are shredding fat you can't address muscle building?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    So if you are looking to shred away fat is cardio with of course a good diet the optimal answer?

It's an answer. There is no ONE TRUE WAY (TM) in this space.

Optimal or not depends on the individual.
  • _Bro
    Options

Pretty sure that is not true.
    One true way to lose weight is to have a deficit.
    The exact # of course is based upon where you are at -- sorry but this comment adds little to the discussion.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Pretty sure that is not true.
    One true way to lose weight is to have a deficit.
    The exact # of course is based upon where you are at -- sorry but this comment adds little to the discussion.

Shredding fat <> losing weight.

Also depends what you mean by good diet, and again that depends on one's objective.

Given the nebulous question it's a reasonable answer that might lend itself to more clarity on the question.
  • _Bro
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So that's reason why you provided an unreasonable answer?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for an "optimal" answer for shredding fat, it will ALWAYS be to eat in a reasonable (for your stats) caloric deficit.

Less-than-optimal ways would be to have surgery, eat at an extreme caloric deficit, or amputation.
  • _Bro
    Options
    If you're looking for an "optimal" answer for shredding fat, it will ALWAYS be to eat in a reasonable (for your stats) caloric deficit.

Less-than-optimal ways would be to have surgery, eat at an extreme caloric deficit, or amputation.

ALWAYS eat reasonably with a deficit?
    That's probably far from optimal - Overfeeding seems to have many benefits: Insulin, GH, IGF-1, Thyroid, Cellular energy state, Protein synthesis, and so on... So in an overfeed state,the body is in a systemically anabolic state.

Of course, the potential for fat storage increases with the duration and make up/macros that were used to enter the overfeed state. So perhaps, you're attempt at a silly remark " surgery, eat at an extreme caloric deficit or amputation" has some merit.

To be a bit more specific, cycling calories where one utilizes a large deficit followed by an overfeeding state is more optimal. Especially when one enters the lower levels of body fat. Here's to eating pizza once a week and having visible abs..
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great and all, but I pretty much did zero (not counting walking and daily activities) when I lost my baby weight (Jan-Aug). I had really limited time which I used to lift weights 2-3x per week (30 min each) .. as a result I maintained muscle and lowered my BF%. I duno if the way I did it was optimal, but for me it was.

After my current bulk, ya, I will prob add a bit of cardio, maybe 1-2 HIIT sessions per week.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

ALWAYS eat reasonably with a deficit?
    That's probably far from optimal - Overfeeding seems to have many benefits: Insulin, GH, IGF-1, Thyroid, Cellular energy state, Protein synthesis, and so on... So in an overfeed state,the body is in a systemically anabolic state.

Of course, the potential for fat storage increases with the duration and make up/macros that were used to enter the overfeed state. So perhaps, you're attempt at a silly remark " surgery, eat at an extreme caloric deficit or amputation" has some merit.

To be a bit more specific, cycling calories where one utilizes a large deficit followed by an overfeeding state is more optimal. Especially when one enters the lower levels of body fat. Here's to eating pizza once a week and having visible abs..

How is that more optimal, when you haven't specified any given time frame? Over the course of time, a 1,500 calorie week followed by a 3,000 calorie refeed (7th) day for 28 days would equal to the same calorie deficit as 1,714 calories a day for 28 days. That is solely dependent on the approach that an individual would like to take. It's STILL a CICO approach and will result in fat loss.

For that matter, I said stay in a "reasonable caloric deficit." You can still be in a calorie deficit with a refeed day. One could eat pizza every day and have visible abs. I don't get your point?
  • _Bro
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You said to always eat reasonable.
    My point is that is far from the truth and you pointing out that you can overfeed and still have a net deficit/visible abs is really agreeing with my point.

Thanks.
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    You said to always eat reasonable.
    My point is that is far from the truth and you pointing out that you can overfeed and still have a net deficit/visible abs is really agreeing with my point. Thanks.

You have problems with reading comprehension. I said "eat a a reasonable deficit."

I assume you made the pizza comment because you think I meant "eat reasonably" as in, only eat "healthy" foods or something. If the whole point you're trying to make from this extremely vague post is that refeeds are okay for fat loss, then yes, I do agree.
  • _Bro
    Options
    "an "optimal" answer for shredding fat, it will ALWAYS be to eat in a reasonable (for your stats) caloric deficit."

Always implies that you shouldn't have an overfeed.
    Perhaps, you didn't mean that and you just have an issue with composition?
    That would also explain, "I said "eat a a [sic] reasonable deficit." "
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    "an "optimal" answer for shredding fat, it will ALWAYS be to eat in a reasonable (for your stats) caloric deficit."

Always implies that you shouldn't have an overfeed.
    Perhaps, you didn't mean that and you just have an issue with composition?
    That would also explain, "I said "eat a a [sic] reasonable deficit." "

k
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think most runners find that running (cardio) leaves them REALLY hungry. Many people train for marathons and don't lose any weight.
    Is that optimal? I would say, no, it is not. Exercise like that can work against you.
    I would have to agree with ol' _incogNEATO_ : Best way to lose weight is to cut calories and eat in a reasonable deficit.
  • _Bro
    Options
    Actually, I would agree with that -- marathon training does yield excellent endurance results but the recomposition results usually end up sacrificing muscle in the process and diet management can be difficult.

Personally, I've trained/completed longer distance runs (26+ miles). Of course, I leaned out but the visual results were not as good as a what I can obtain with regular weight training and occasional cardio (more for vascular health). Furthermore, marathon training required a much larger time investment.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on the individual. Optimal varies from person to person based on their own desires. Some people HATE running the amount I did and wouldn't call it optimal at all despite the progress I perceived. For some people, it works just fine.

As long as CI and CO balance, it doesn't matter how you get there.