not losing pounds but inches

Options
i started a healthy lifestyle 20 weeks ago and i lost weight every week up untill week 18 when i joined a gym, i was really upset yest when i weighed myself only to find i had stayed the same, i went to the gym later that day and my personal trainer measured me and told me if actually lost 2.5cm around my waste :) i still got more weight to lose does anyone know how i can start losing it on the scales again? ive now started eating 6 meals a day instead of my normal 3 as my trainer said this will help boost my weightloss x

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is much better. :smile: The pounds will follow in their own time, but losing inches means you're going in the right direction.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Noone sees your scale but you (and us on MFP). Inches are what matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kirst8489
    kirst8489 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    aww thanks guys that makes me feel better :) and i meant waist not waste Lol x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence that eating more often will help you lose weight but it won't hurt you either, but I'm curious as to why you care if you are lighter (weigh less) as long as you are getting smaller? I would think that getting smaller without losing weight would be the goal since that most likely means you are losing fat.
  • tbeaner79
    tbeaner79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Right now your body is building muscle and burning that stubborn fat. Muscle weighs more than fat so it could even be possible that while you're losing, the scale could actually go up. Scales are evil...your inches will be your true measurement. Keep up the great work and WTG on your progress!!!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and the lbs will come off. The inches lost are great :) Good job!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    i started a healthy lifestyle 20 weeks ago and i lost weight every week up untill week 18 when i joined a gym, i was really upset yest when i weighed myself only to find i had stayed the same, i went to the gym later that day and my personal trainer measured me and told me if actually lost 2.5cm around my waste :) i still got more weight to lose does anyone know how i can start losing it on the scales again? ive now started eating 6 meals a day instead of my normal 3 as my trainer said this will help boost my weightloss x

Losing inches is what you want here, right? If you only joined the gym 2 weeks ago, you're most likely seeing some water weight because your muscles store water along with glycogen when you exercise.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Just have to echo those sentiments as well. Inches lost mean so much more than a number on a scale!!

It is a difficult mindset to adopt, seeing as almost all of us are used to gauging our "success" by that number on a scale. But a number on a scale can only tell you so much...

Numbers on a scale don’t tell you how nifty you look in those jeans that used to be too tight on you. They don’t tell you how reinvigorated and energetic you’re starting to feel. They don't tell you how your cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar levels and other lab results are now in the normal range, or heading in that direction. They don’t tell you that you've replaced a crap-load of fat with muscle and are worlds healthier because of it. They don’t tell you: “Congratulations for that wonderful work-out that you just accomplished!” Numbers on a scale just don’t seem to cut it …and they’re not very complimentary. They can warp your perception of yourself and your accomplishments and bring you down to China town. They can make you feel bad about yourself for totally stupid reasons, and discourage you from trying harder.

Because of this, I only weigh myself once a month. Why let a stupid number slap me in the face or get me down? I’m living healthy. The weight will come off when it wants to. I'm not saying this will be the case for everyone -- everyone's body is different. Some can lose faster/easier than others. In my case, I've always stayed around the same weight, and do not gain or lose easily. But in the meantime, the way working out makes me feel is so much better than any number on a scale!

Just my 2 cents. You're doing great! Keep up the amazing work! :happy:
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Booketi, very well said!! Couldn't have put that better myself. :)
  • kirst8489
    Options
    There is no evidence that eating more often will help you lose weight but it won't hurt you either, but I'm curious as to why you care if you are lighter (weigh less) as long as you are getting smaller? I would think that getting smaller without losing weight would be the goal since that most likely means you are losing fat.

i dont know i just think because ive been losing weight all the weeks and then to not lose anything really upset me, my jeans are a 14 and they are really lose on me so yeah i guess im just being silly worried about the number on the scale and not what actually counts which is the inches im losing. the only thing is i have put weight on in my arms? i was 31.5 on my right arm now im 32,5? why could this be? x
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Even if ur not losing weight but losing inches that just means your gaining muscle! Remember muscle weighs more than fat and the leaner u are the hotter u will look! Don't get discouraged just keep on going!
  • kirst8489
    Options
    Right now your body is building muscle and burning that stubborn fat. Muscle weighs more than fat so it could even be possible that while you're losing, the scale could actually go up. Scales are evil...your inches will be your true measurement. Keep up the great work and WTG on your progress!!!

Thankyou for your infomation :) x
  • kirst8489
    Options
    Just keep at it and the lbs will come off. The inches lost are great :) Good job!!!

Thankyou for your words of encouragment xx
  • kirst8489
    Options

Losing inches is what you want here, right? If you only joined the gym 2 weeks ago, you're most likely seeing some water weight because your muscles store water along with glycogen when you exercise.

yes i do, i wanty both but after reading all your opnions i feel much better about losing inches rather then whats on the scales, thankyou x
  • jhilborn
    jhilborn Posts: 4
    Options
    Muscle wieghs more then fat and by working out your building muscle but no worries cause muscle burns more calories then fat so the scale should start moving again soon. But if its that important to you try more cardio less wieghts. It worked for me.
  • kirst8489
    Options
    Just have to echo those sentiments as well. Inches lost mean so much more than a number on a scale!!

It is a difficult mindset to adopt, seeing as almost all of us are used to gauging our "success" by that number on a scale. But a number on a scale can only tell you so much...

Numbers on a scale don’t tell you how nifty you look in those jeans that used to be too tight on you. They don’t tell you how reinvigorated and energetic you’re starting to feel. They don't tell you how your cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar levels and other lab results are now in the normal range, or heading in that direction. They don’t tell you that you've replaced a crap-load of fat with muscle and are worlds healthier because of it. They don’t tell you: “Congratulations for that wonderful work-out that you just accomplished!” Numbers on a scale just don’t seem to cut it …and they’re not very complimentary. They can warp your perception of yourself and your accomplishments and bring you down to China town. They can make you feel bad about yourself for totally stupid reasons, and discourage you from trying harder.

Because of this, I only weigh myself once a month. Why let a stupid number slap me in the face or get me down? I’m living healthy. The weight will come off when it wants to. I'm not saying this will be the case for everyone -- everyone's body is different. Some can lose faster/easier than others. In my case, I've always stayed around the same weight, and do not gain or lose easily. But in the meantime, the way working out makes me feel is so much better than any number on a scale!

Just my 2 cents. You're doing great! Keep up the amazing work! :happy:

Thankyou so much for your information and words of encouragement, i think im going to start weighing myself monthly instead it may make me feel better! xx
  • kirst8489
    Options
    Muscle wieghs more then fat and by working out your building muscle but no worries cause muscle burns more calories then fat so the scale should start moving again soon. But if its that important to you try more cardio less wieghts. It worked for me.

Thankyou :) i do more cardio than weights at the moment i just do small dumbell weights and do the fly reps, xx
  • kirst8489
    Options
    Even if ur not losing weight but losing inches that just means your gaining muscle! Remember muscle weighs more than fat and the leaner u are the hotter u will look! Don't get discouraged just keep on going!

Thankyou :) this is true lol x
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

i dont know i just think because ive been losing weight all the weeks and then to not lose anything really upset me, my jeans are a 14 and they are really lose on me so yeah i guess im just being silly worried about the number on the scale and not what actually counts which is the inches im losing. the only thing is i have put weight on in my arms? i was 31.5 on my right arm now im 32,5? why could this be? x

When I first started lifting I had to take a few dresses to the tailor to get the arms widened, because I had been building muscle under the fat. Silly me.. because about a month or two later they were all loose as the body fat decreased in my arms. Just keep up with it.. your body will even out on its own. :)
  • kirst8489
    Options

When I first started lifting I had to take a few dresses to the tailor to get the arms widened, because I had been building muscle under the fat. Silly me.. because about a month or two later they were all loose as the body fat decreased in my arms. Just keep up with it.. your body will even out on its own. :)

Ahh okay thankyou very much :) i am worried about doing weights but my p/t told me i need to do some light ones to tone my body :) x