Healthy snacks ideas

Options
I wouldn't say my meals are my biggest flaw. It's the snacks, therefore need some healthy snack ideas that have been successful for people!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Anything you can eat as a meal, you can eat as a snack.

Healthy adults shouldn't have to snack.

You lose weight by consistently eating at a calorie deficit. You can eat anything you want and lose weight.

Good nutrition and food you like, eaten in a schedule that fits your lifestyle, makes it easier to stick to a calorie deficit.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I struggle with snacks too. Mostly in the evening. I've got a couple tricks that have been working for me this past week or so.
    Log your food and evening snack and close your diary after dinner.
    I log some veggie snacks for my snack later or a bit of popcorn or whatever fits.
    I turn off the tv earlier and go to bed and read and eat my veggies.
    And if I'm starving I eat a pickle! It works everytime...so far.
  • StephAStephan
    StephAStephan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My snacks are usually fruit: two clementines, a cup of berries (any and all!), A green apple with a tablespoon of almond butter... Sometimes I'll grab a small handful of mixed nuts and eat them slowly. I'll also stock up on healthy bars (and just stash one in my bag so that I have something if I'm feeling hungry on the go)! I also have a thing of protein powder at home always, and I'll blend up an icy shake. That's my breakfast everyday, actually, just because it's easy! Hope this helps :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I made some kale chips yesterday which are yummy.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    A heaping teaspoon of peanut butter -- makes it look like it's more than it is with a cup of unsweetened hot tea with a splash of half and half. Sometimes I'll have peanut butter with a wedge of dark chocolate (76% cacao). Other times I make a "cocoa latte". Whip 2.5 oz half and half and heat in microwave. Heat 10 oz. water to boiling and stir in the powdered cocoa. Top with the steamed half and half, Dip the spoon all the way down to the bottom and drag it cross ways to mix to keep foam on top. Sometimes a slice of cheese folded into quarters and 4 crackers.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bell pepper, i like yellow and orange, 1 tsp of peanut butter or almond butter, a dannon lite and fit greek yogurt 80 cal.,banana, halo's,hot tea no calories, yasso..greek yogurt frozen bars, salt caramel is my favorite, 100 cal. found at walmart and target. many more flavors, taste sinfully good!
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For snacks I eat Halo Top or Arctic Zero ice cream. Or a serving of Triscuits with cheese. I also like the EatSmart Veggie Chips - you get a bowl full for 140 calories. Same goes for Nilla Wafers. Then there's Dannon Light and Fit yogurt if you need protein. Or a simple carrot stick. My husband likes to snack on turkey jerky.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    apples, bananas, grapes, diced peaches, peanuts, pretzels. I just make sure to weigh stuff.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Veggie crudites (cucumber, bell pepper, carrot sticks) and low fat hummous, slices of apple and grapes with a small portion of blue cheese or brie, low fat hot chocolates in the winter or chocolate mini milk ice lollies in the summer for my chocolate fix. Miso soup broth with a few spring onions chopped over, butternut squash wedges seasoned in paprika and cayenne pepper, sprayed with fry light and oven baked. Air popped popcorn with different sweet and savoury seasoning. Pickles.

It is hard to stick to meals with zero snacking and not everyone has the willpower its good to have a few things in the arsenal especially if you're with friends who are snacking on crisps and salty greasy goodness if you're watching a movie. Or if you're like me and because of work might have to wait 7-8 hours between lunch and dinner.
  • cmsalvato
    cmsalvato Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my normal snacks are- baby carrots with lite house opa greek yogurt dressings. siggi's skyr. a small apple w/ pb or ab. suzies thin rice cakes with either pb or a laughing cow light. natures garden nut mixes (costco). red grapes. skinny pop. navel orange.
  • GoldBikiniGoals
    GoldBikiniGoals Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It might help if you include an idea of calorie wise what a snack is to you, just so you get ideas that are easily applicable to your own needs.

I eat a lot of grapes and pretzels, greek yogurt with some sort of fruit, popcorn, pepperoni/salami sticks, cheese string, apple and dark chocolate with sea salt. I'm big on sweet and salty in the same snack since those are the two flavours I tend to crave. Lots of people will suggest protein bars that are desert flavoured like Quest bars, but they're pretty expensive snacking.

If you find calorie wise that your snacks are getting in the way, make sure that you're budgeting for them -- I snack in the evening so I tend to leave 1/4 of my calories aside-- and aim for higher protein snacks since they're more satiating, so you're less likely to grab another snack after.

At the end of the day, you've just got to find what works for you :)
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Jalapeño, sliced in half seeds removed or not depending on how much heat you like (I leave seeds), filled with almond or peanut butter. Sounds weird, but very good.
  • TreesOfYavanna
    TreesOfYavanna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Handful of nuts or trail mix.

Apple with almond butter.

String cheese.

Sometimes I'll just have a glass of lowfat milk.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My go to is a protein + crunchy vegetable. Protein - peanut butter, hummus, tuna crunchy veg - celery, carrot, cucumber, lettuce
  • Callie33021
    Callie33021 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Strawberries drizzled with a TBSP of fruit infused white balsamic vinegar; 4 dark chocolate covered almonds or pecans; apple slices softened in microwave and then drizzled with a TBSP of honey and a dash of cinnamon; apple slices with a TBSP of crunchy peanut butter
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Tonight I had an apple sliced thin for dipping with 40g(about 1/4 c probably) 2% Greek yogurt mixed with 20g powdered peanut butter (like PB2 but I get the Raleys store brand) and a little stevia. Mix it up and it makes a yummmmmy PB dip with a lot of protein to stay full. Mine totalled a little under 200 cals but you could easily half the yogurt mixture for less cals.
    Also dessert snack wise I looooove Yasso Greek yogurt bars, only 100 cals and taste exactly like ice cream and no fake sugars, (not that's they're horrible for you or anything) just nothing weird to cause any gas type symptoms which I hear halo top has.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 16 of a Whole45, so I try not to snack at all, and usually don't want/need to. If I DO need something, I'll eat a hardboiled egg, a banana with raw cashew butter (sometimes with cocoa nibs on top), or a Larabar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually have 226 grams of cottage cheese and an apple in the afternoon. For the most part, I like to eat meals and I don't do a ton of snacking.