I don't feel right eating exercise calories....

Options
I don't feel right eating exercise calories. Makes me feel like a failure and that I'm wasting all of my time logging and eating a certain amount and that I won't lose any weight. Anybody feel this way? I'm I way wrong? What can I do?

Replies

• hasonmd
    hasonmd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat back about 1/3 of my cardio exercise calories on a daily. I also do strength training, when logged under that you really don't get an extra on MFP, unless you log them as cardio. In my head that's the way I justify eating them back.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Eat food the old fashioned way. Earn it. Eat 'some' of your exercise calories. Realize that values of calories burned in doing exercise are not precisely accurate for you as an individual. It is on you to be accurate, track your progress, and make adjustments.
  • meldeeonline
    meldeeonline Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is something I've asked my trainer about a lot. Personally, I'm under the guise that we need a calorie deficit - plain and simple. Eating back the calories reduces that deficit -- and we work out essentially to create one. It truly depends on your caloric goal you eat by, though. It helps to know your BMR -- or your bottom line for calorie intake.

IIFYM and TDEE calculators online can help you find your numbers :))
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    Options
    If you're only doing a little bit of exercise, you probably don't need to eat any or much back.

But if you're doing quite a bit, it is healthier to eat at least half your exercise calories back. Your body needs fuel.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    This is something I've asked my trainer about a lot. Personally, I'm under the guise that we need a calorie deficit - plain and simple. Eating back the calories reduces that deficit -- and we work out essentially to create one. It truly depends on your caloric goal you eat by, though. It helps to know your BMR -- or your bottom line for calorie intake.

IIFYM and TDEE calculators online can help you find your numbers :))

Only if you really are creating your deficit with exercise. If you're creating it with diet, you could be doing more harm than good by not eating a little more for exercise, but that depends on how much exercise we're talking.
  • oneluckiegirl
    oneluckiegirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Unless you are expending greater than 500 cal on you workouts, I wouldn't count them. Conversely, if you are training for anything beyond a 10k, a sprint triathlon or a 35 mile bike event, then I would make sure that your nutrition covers those extra calories with whole foods.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this to, I walk ALOT so i try to eat atleast a few hundred extra on long walk/work days (1200 goes to say 1500-1600) It claims i burn like 1000 but i am fine eating my 1500 and calling it a day. Sometimes i drink on weekends so probably all averages out. If consistently not eating calories atleast save them for days you want them and eat extra guilt free. I tend to get hungrier days i dont walk :P