Exercise and Gaining Weight?!

Options
So I've decided to take it a month at a time. This first month that I've been using MFP I didn't do any exercise purposefully, and I didn't count anything towards exercise in my log, so no exercise calories. I've done good and really lost weight and inches and have been really motivated.

This is now my second month and I've decided to start exercising. I didn't lose any weight last week because I was having way too much sodium and retained water (I'm learning to stay under or around on my recommended sodium). Now I've been exercising and I've exercised every day this week. It feels great, my back hurts less, I'm less anxious. All good right?

Well not really. I've been watching all my calories, especially my sodium intake, and keeping everything around or below the recommended allowances (with the exception of protien and fiber, I always seem to be higher on those two) and I have NOT been eating my exercise calories. BUT I'M GAINING WEIGHT!

This is what I've done in the last few days:

Sunday - 45 min brisk walk around the neighborhood

Monday - Morning used 10 minute rapid results pilates arms/shoulders routine. Evening 45 min brisk walk around the neighborhood

Tuesday - Morning started following Fitbe's transform your body in 2011 warmup (sans pushups) and stregnth training A, 2 sets of each exercise. Evening yoga stretching.

Wednesday - Morning 20 min stretching. (so sore!)

Why am I gaining weight!? My eating hasn't changed, my goals are on target this week, I eat plenty of fruits, could be a little better on veggies... and still I've gained a whole pound back!

What in the world! Help! This is really discouraging!

*edit* I also wanted to add that I drink 104oz at least each day, most of the time more, and when I use weights I use wrist weights that I have weighted at 3lbs each (terrible wrist problems due to data entry job that affects my grip and hurts when using regular hand weights)

Replies

• AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You may be building a little bit of muscle, or it could also be water retention.

I also suggest eating your exercise calories.. not all but enough to fuel your workout. You say your eating hasn't changed but with adding exercise to your routine.. eating SHOULD change. You don't want to send your body into starvation - it'll be a lot harder to lose the weight that way. Starvation mode won't happen in a week but over the long haul your body will start to strap in and hate the ride.

Also - try to drink the recommended 8 glasses of water a day.. only when you're thirsty of course but I find this really helps to 1. flush out the toxins and 2. get you sweating.

Stick with it.. you may not see changes immediately.. heck it took me 2 weeks for the scale to even budge. You didn't gain all this weight overnight right? We shouldn't expect it to come off overnight either.
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    You do have a valid point but at the same time this always seems to happen, I gain the weight instead of losing it, when I'm doing the cardio shouldn't I be losing instead of gaining? I've been doing so good that I just don't want to feel like I'm failing when I already had been doing so well.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    if you open up your diary, i'd love to take a look at it for you if you want suggestions.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Due to natural water retention as part of the muscle repair process, you may not see a weight loss for a week to three weeks after starting a new exercise regimine or changing it up by adding something new. It's not a bad thing, it's just how the body works.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water (at least 8 cups every day, more if you're sweating). And don't worry at all about going over in protein or fiber, both are REALLY good for you and, at least with protein, most will agree that the level set by MFP is too low for anyone who's active.

Also, try eating back at least half of your exercise calories - you have to fuel your body, just as you would fuel a car. If there's not enough gas, it's not going to work right!
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    Before I was serious about working out my weight was a steady 185, after a few months I was @ 190lbs, my calorie intake was less and I was eating a whole lot better.

I was disspointed about the weight gain but I noticed my shirts, pants were a lot looser. lost a few inches off the waist.

I had to go over my meals and made a few changes. dropped 10lbs since.