Starting weights

Options
I'm just looking for how much I should lift or use for my legs,arms etc to start because I don't want to hurt myself but I want it to be effective

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here is a list of programs - have a read through and find one that suits your goals/needs/time.

As for starting weights, some programs will ask you what you are currently doing and adjust downward to a starting weight.

You can also test it yourself and start very light. If you can do it with good form, increase.

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track by starting slow. Form is the key building block for weightlifting. Bad form is going to lead to slower gains and potential injury when the weights get heavier. Don't be afraid to experiment your first few times in the gym with different weights to see what's comfortable. Start low and work up week to week. I'd suggest getting a personal trainer to teach you the compound lifts and proper form if you aren't sure what you are doing.
  • rmtanner
    rmtanner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, good advice as far as I can tell. Start low and keep adding the weight. Concentrate on form, and look to include compound lifts rather than just focussing on specific body parts
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    As everyone has stated, pick a program, start light, hit PRs, keep progressing. There's no way for any of us to give you actual numbers, as we hve no idea of what you are capable of.

Some people can barely pick up the bar their first time. Andy Bolton was a freak who deadlifted 600 lbs. the first time he tried the lift. You'll have to figure it out on your own.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You won't go wrong starting light. You can always increase, both weight later and reps now, if it is too light. Very few, if anyone, got injured lifting a weight which was to light. If an empty bar is too heavy to start use dumbbells. Just remember to add both of the dumbbells together to get your actual lifting weight. (2 twenty pound dumbbells is 40 pounds). In any progressive program the weight used will catch up to you. Start light, stay safe, be encouraged by being able to increase your weight and don't be afraid or worried about lowering your weight as you go along.