Hair and weight loss

Has anybody else found that their hair does not grow as quick when they lost weight? Any ideas why?

Replies

• youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    There have been points during my loss when I felt that my hair was thinner than usual. It didn't last long, though. This happened a few times of the year + when I lost 100+ lbs. Mine is the same as when I started now.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    I went to my doctor about my hair actually. All my life it has been fine and thin, my whole family is the same, so any loss is really noticeable. I had a blood test at it turned out my diet was not as healthy as I though it was as I had some deficiencies.

On MFP you can see how much Vitamin A, vit B and so on you get each day. Have a look and see if that needs shaking up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Hair loss can be a sign that you were under-eating a few months previously.
  • mgilbo1
    mgilbo1 Posts: 2 Member
    When you cut back on food you need to up your supplements. The food overall is pretty bad today and the nutrients are less than 50% of what they were since the 1950’s. It means you need to take vitamins daily like clockwork. Vitamin C, B Vitamins, Vitamin D and Calcium and a multi-vitamin should be the minimum you take daily. I take Coq10, Resveratrol, Iron, Moringa Pill(amazing stuff), Vitamin E, Fish oil… I haven’t been sick in over 10 years. I find women are much more stubborn about vitamins, my fiancé being one of them. Since she has been taking them, she hasn’t been sick in over 4 years. When I met her she was constantly at the doctors. Take your vits.
  • cake91
    cake91 Posts: 46 Member
    I not lost or had thinning of my hair. It just seems not to grow the rate it used to. Found some articles online. May up my protein and eggs. Alreadt taking vitamins for pregnancy. Thanks guys. Hope you succeed in your goals x
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Not to be flippant as there could be a potentially serious problem if not addressed but I wish weight loss in and of itself caused my hair to grow slower. As fast as ever (nearly an inch a month fast).
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I lost about 35 pounds verrrry slowly with a reasonable deficit, plenty of nutrients, and adequate protein. Yet, months later, my hair was thinning a bit. I went to my doctor, and after blood work revealed no problems, she told me that for some people, even safe and slow weight loss can cause some hair loss or slowed growth. Basically, your body wants to maintain the status quo, so it can rebel a bit when you try to change the status quo.

The good news is, after I was in maintainance for a while, my hair grew back and it's back to normal. So, if it happens, it's temporary. But definitely get it checked out by a doc to make sure there's not a bigger problem.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Not to be flippant as there could be a potentially serious problem if not addressed but I wish weight loss in and of itself caused my hair to grow slower. As fast as ever (nearly an inch a month fast).

Same! My hair grows fast and is wild and unruly unless thinned out regularly!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Lucy1752 wrote: »

Same! My hair grows fast and is wild and unruly unless thinned out regularly!

Ah at least mine isn't unruly. In fact, I've been growing out my bleached ends and at the last appointment my hairdresser complained my hair is too soft. I told her that's why I bleached it, so I could attempt to do something other than let it hang. We all want what we don't have.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Go to the dermatologist, they can further investigate. When I hit 35 my hair started to thin and not be as fab. I could be a deficiency in vitamins, stressful times...anything. Get it checked
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    We all want what we don't have.

You said it! Most people say they envy how thick and full it is, even though it is now salt and pepper in coloring, but unless I "tame" it every morning it would give Phyllis Diller a run for unruliness.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    cake91 wrote: »
    I not lost or had thinning of my hair. It just seems not to grow the rate it used to. Found some articles online. May up my protein and eggs. Alreadt taking vitamins for pregnancy. Thanks guys. Hope you succeed in your goals x

If you are pregnant already (since you mentioned taking prenatals) that's your answer right there. Otherwise... what everyone else said.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I have had issues with dry skin and hair falling out. I upped my calories and started taking omega 3 vitamins. Working on getting more protein in. Going to try this for 4-6 weeks and then see a dermatologist if it doesn't improve.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited March 2017
    Quite the opposite@exercise/weight loss affecting hair growth/quality. Hated my hair in my 30s. Now@40 - Increasing my proteins and fats has played a vital role, I believe in my hair quality. My post/during MFP hair is longer and thicker. Strands aren't brittle - root to tip. Easier to manage. Brush /comb - rarely ever do I lose hair with vigorous uses.

Eta: post weight-loss and proper macro/micro management for me, my hair is curly again. I have lost the porous hair treatment look of my 30s. I was not one who straightened my hair. Trying to curl my hair for leave out bounce was absolute hell. Didn't hold for an hour unless I'd doused it with product.
  • hasonmd
    hasonmd Posts: 17 Member
    One thing to try the vitamin Biotin.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    mgilbo1 wrote: »
    When you cut back on food you need to up your supplements. The food overall is pretty bad today and the nutrients are less than 50% of what they were since the 1950’s. It means you need to take vitamins daily like clockwork. Vitamin C, B Vitamins, Vitamin D and Calcium and a multi-vitamin should be the minimum you take daily. I take Coq10, Resveratrol, Iron, Moringa Pill(amazing stuff), Vitamin E, Fish oil… I haven’t been sick in over 10 years. I find women are much more stubborn about vitamins, my fiancé being one of them. Since she has been taking them, she hasn’t been sick in over 4 years. When I met her she was constantly at the doctors. Take your vits.

Talk to your doctor first. Sometimes supplements can interact with medications or other health issues.
  • cake91
    sarahthes wrote: »
    cake91 wrote: »

If you are pregnant already (since you mentioned taking prenatals) that's your answer right there. Otherwise... what everyone else said.

Pregnancy has made it grow again. Which i am taking full advantage of lol
  • cake91
    I have had issues with dry skin and hair falling out. I upped my calories and started taking omega 3 vitamins. Working on getting more protein in. Going to try this for 4-6 weeks and then see a dermatologist if it doesn't improve.

let me know how it goes :)
  • cake91
    cmtigger wrote: »
    mgilbo1 wrote: »

Talk to your doctor first. Sometimes supplements can interact with medications or other health issues.

Definitly will be asking my midwife first before doing anything. Or wait till the baby is born as it is growing again. Its just something i have always wondered so i though i'll ask the community :)