Whats the best app for running for beginners?

Options
missyg7261
missyg7261 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been walking and would like to start transitioning into running. There are so many apps I am not sure which one is the best.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For tracking? Endomondo is good as it has training programmes with some flexibility. Runkeeper is also capable but the training plan implementation isn't so good. Strava is also good.

Some might recommend MapMyFitness or Runtastic, but personally I don't rate either.

If you're talking training plans then they're generally all variants of Couch to 5K. Endomondo and Runkeeper have them built in but if you use a podcast based plan you can track your running using any of those apps.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you can walk more than 30 minutes at a time, then pick a C25K program (I did the Zen labs app) and learn to run that way.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    C25k
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K app by ZenLabs. It is free and works :)
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    +1 for c25k or c210k
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Agree, follow a C25k programme. I used RunDouble when I first started. I use Runkeeper now.
  • kernja
    kernja Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh hey!

I actually just wrote a running app for beginners!

When I started training 6 years ago, I was 280lbs and could barely run for 5 minutes. The lowest I've got with my weight is 195lbs and the furthest I've ran was 17.5 miles. I'm no longer quite as sleek and suave as I was at my peak, but all of my experiences with running and exercising motivated me to write this application.

Good luck with whatever app you decide to use.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway, best-selling running author and former U.S. Olympian, has a Run/Walk/Run program/app. You run for a set time, walk for a set time, lather, rinse, repeat. The app has a feature that helps you maintain the pace that is right for you through increasing/decreasing the tempo of music played while exercising. It is electronic dance style music, but it really helps you maintain your pace so you don't go too fast, too soon. The app is available in a variety of distances, starting with 5K. Available for iPhone - not sure if it is available for Android.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "There are so many apps I am not sure which one is the best. "

Not really sure that anyone app/program can be called the "best". They pretty much all start you out with a walk/run mix and gradually increase the run segment until you are running all the time. You then gradually increase distance over time and speed will come as you become better adapted to running. Then, once you have built an adequate aerobic base, you might add in hills, tempo runs and other speed work.

The "best" one is the one you use, enjoy and which causes you to improve. Maybe Nike did say it best: "Just do it."

I use a Garmin Forerunner, with Garmin Connect, to keep track of my runs. I started with Personal Running Trainer from Amazon which from what I can tell it is a whole lot like Couch to 5K. Most will also conclude at other popular distances. Their are many free, and low cost, training programs on the net. Everyone has their favorite but very few say why their choice was/is superior. They are all, if not the same, very similar.

Pick a program and start. Results come not from the program but from the work you put in.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In my experience, there are some minor differences in the run/walk intervals between the C25k apps, but they usually end with you being able to run for 30 minutes without stopping by week 8 or 9. Some look nicer, some might include music (which you may not like), and/or cues/affirmations that you are doing great/halfway there, etc.
  • rmtanner
    rmtanner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Strava for running and cycling
  • runawaysockppt
    runawaysockppt Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Zombies Run! Couch to 5K app is my personal favorite. I enjoy the integration of game play and exercise, it makes me feel less like working out is a chore.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use MapmyRun for tracking my running.
  • jepstein69
    jepstein69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As well as apps checkout http://www.parkrun.com/ It's a free timed 5k event that has runs all around the world every Saturday at 9am. It's a great community and all the motivation you'll need. It's not a race unless you want it to be and they welcome all standards. :)