Can you break up your cardio into two sessions a day?

Options
All right, I know this may be a silly question, but can you break your cardio session up into two sessions a day? I don't quite have the endurance to do a full 50 minutes at a time, but I can handle breaking it down into two 25 minute sessions. Is this okay to do?

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Of course. Why not right?
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes! I do that sometiems...2 30 minutes sessions!
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with that at all! Keep up the good work! Exercise is exercise :)
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    some scientists say that's that is even better. but i break mine up in2 several times a day. 2-3diff sessions myself. for me it's all based on time available. i don't have time 2 do it all at once lol
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! There are health advantages for getting your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes at a time (I know it helps with increasing LDL) but beyond that, as long as you're getting active, that's all that really matters.
  • Ahendon824
    Ahendon824 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you!! That's the only way you will accomplish anything! Good luck!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Of course! That's the beauty of cardio; it's effective whenever you do it. I like to take a walk in the evenings and workout at the gym in the morning.
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it would make your metabolism consistantly higher too... ??? Not sure.... ??? :tongue:
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    definatly

just make sure you work HARD during your sessions

i do 25 min hardcore when i get up before work, 15 min fast walk in break, 30-40min fast walk at lunch, then if im not teaching pole in the evening ill try and do 40mins then

its good to split it as it stresses your body less so you relese less cortisol (which can lead to weight gain) and you are increaseing your heart rate more than once each day

do it :)
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    iv been advised that two short bursts of 15 mins interval cardio training is more effective than an hour of constant cardio. This is just what my trainer has mentioned to me, if you give it your all and really push yourself then you will see good results.

Why do you need to do just cardio? why not mix it up with strength training as well so your varying your routine. look up some programmes online. xx
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I do it often-based on my schedule. I plan one 30 min session in the a.m. and hope to get in a second one later that day. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. That's life. But I say it's fine to split it up. And I agree that it may even be better. Let's just get and stay moving!

:-)
  • sprky182
    sprky182 Posts: 20
    Options
    From what I've been told, exercise is cumulative, so you can break it into multiple sessions.
  • jankieffer
    Options
    You're still burning calories doing small amounts at a time....Thats great your doing so much! All movement adds up and your body knows what is best for you. I think listening to when you are tired is important and being kind and understanding with your self is essential to happiness and success...be happy and keep moving!!:smile:
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    Yes, I Talk to a health coach every week and that's the plan that we have worked out. Do what you can do. A smaller amount of vigourse exercise is better than a long light exercise. So if you can only do five minutes at a time or 25 minutes what ever the case might be that's what you do until you build up your endurance. Build up your endurance one minute at a time. I do five minute sessions of vigourse stair aerobecs three times a day and burn more calories than if I do a long one hour slow walk. I'm slowly working to build each into ten minute sessions. It may seem like it's so little but if you feel the burn than it's working. If not push your self to add more time.
  • kerry1513
    kerry1513 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and answering my question. I was really not motivated this morning to work-out, but after coming on here and reading other things people have posted I found the motivation. I do pilates as well as cardio. I found a great instructor online who post all her workouts on her site. She is really motivational.