New vegetarian

Options
Hi MFP friends!
I have recently become a vegetarian (since Feb 1st) and find that I am replacing meat a lot with cheese. I know this is not the best option, but I find myself doing it a lot. Anyone have any tips for a new vegetarian?? (Still trying to lose weight)

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Here are a few recipes I make somewhat regularly:
    1. ohsheglows.com/2013/03/05/roasted-buddha-bowl/ - I prefer it with the lemon tahini dressing.
    2. ohsheglows.com/2011/12/14/over-the-rainbow-cabbage-salad-with-tahini-lemon-dressing/
    3. greencarrotclub.com/?p=557
    4. ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/lightened-up-protein-power-goddess-bowl/ - I add a lot more kale.
    5. thugkitchen.com/post/64577925404/i-really-dont-give-a-damn-that-you-slept-through
    6. theppk.com/2012/03/pesto-risotto-with-roasted-zucchini/
    7. foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/toasted-israeli-couscous-salad-with-grilled-summer-vegetables-recipe2.html - I use a lot less oil and add more vegetables. Do not make the dressing as written; it's way too oily.
    8. foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chickpea-salad-recipe.html
    9. budgetbytes.com/2014/05/oven-roasted-ratatouille/ - I use extra spices.
    10. thehealthyhavenblog.com/2012/06/11/sesame-quinoa-spring-rolls/
    11. foodandwine.com/recipes/roasted-carrot-and-red-quinoa-salad
    12. oatmealwithafork.com/2013/11/01/easy-slow-cooker-split-pea-soup-vegan/
    13. oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2011/11/oven-roasted-cauliflower.html#.UcH__-sYKfQ
    14. theppk.com/2010/07/eggplant-potato-moussaka-with-pine-nut-cream/
    15. https://peppertree.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/lemony-roasted-potatoes/
    16. foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-carrots-recipe.html
    17. budgetbytes.com/2015/05/curried-potatoes-with-poached-eggs/
    18. smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/06/broccoli-parmesan-fritters/

Look into some vegan recipes. I like Oh She Glows and the PPK's blogs and cook books. Most of what I make is from those two. You could also try searching vegetarian or vegan recipes on Pinterest to get an idea of what is out there and what looks good.

Here's a group you might want to join:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores.
    19. estherdragonbat
      estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
      Options
      Check out Isa Chandra Moskowitz's "Appetite for Reduction". She's got some great low-calorie vegan recipes in there. Note that the salads section is mostly for salad-as-light-meal rather than salad-as-first-course. And when she recommends a certain side for a main, go with it; she's pretty spot-on.

I've been working my way through 1,000 Vegan Recipes, one recipe at a time. If it's still in print, I can safely say that I've enjoyed almost every recipe I've made (I'm up to the chilis, now) out of it. That one isn't low-cal, though.
    20. littlebabekitty
      littlebabekitty Posts: 388 Member
      Options
      Hi i am a semi vegan sometimes i eat fish but i eliminated all dairy. I use mostly beans and mushrooms for meat replacing. When i was vegetarian i used eggs also. Cheese is not healthy and has a lot of fat. I would use egg whites, mushrooms, beans and seitan meat chunks as my protein. Good luck.
    21. kavahni
      kavahni Posts: 313 Member
      Options
      Check out the classic "Laurel's Kitchen." Still great recipes and nutrition advise after 30 or 40 years. And the recipes are not fussy.
      The main things you need to watch are that you get complete proteins (dairy, eggs and tofu are all on their own, otherwise you need to mix grains, beans and nuts, any two of those at one time, to get complete. Vitamin B 12 is found only in animal proteins, but also in nutritional yeast. Don't confuse nutritional yeast with brewers yeast. They are not the same thing. People commonly confuse the terms. Nutritional yeast can be used to make really tasty sauces that have a great umami aspect to them--meaty, or cheesy. Also nutritional yeast sprinkled on your popcorn is a delightful thing. I prefer the Maxi flake. If you are not acquainted, your first sniff may put you off. Put it on the popcorn. Trust me!
    22. Lavelle1980
      Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
      Options
      First, find some Vegan/vegetarian support groups. It's not an easy lifestyle to choose unless you completed made your mind up. But if you're just trying it out for experience, then it will be harder to do. Vegan recipes are good if you plan it correctly, but this too can be challenging.

The lifestyle requires patience, planning, and time.

However, the benefits outweighs the sacrifice.

Vitamin B12 stays in your body for about 2-3 weeks, so you can supplement once per week or everyday if you like. Other alternatives for B12 is Spirulina.

My first mistake was buying too much produce only to see it go bad because I didn't use it all. (what a waste LOL)...

As far as losing weight... Well some people actually gain weight when going vegan/vegetarian, because they tend to eat more and increase their caloric intake. Especially when using oils.

I recommend Fully Raw by Kristina
      http://www.fullyraw.com/

She's raw vegan with plenty of low calorie fulfilling recipes and helpful information. Check some of her youtube vids out as well.

23. perkymommy
      perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
      Options
      Beans are great for replacing meat. I love a good black bean burger.
    24. Rocbola
      Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
      Options
      Best tips after 5 years of being vegetarian are to:

Eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible. F&V have the micro-nutrients, fiber, water, minerals, anti-oxidants and phyto-chemicals that are NOT OPTIONAL.

Avoid processed foods. (The occasional treat isn't an issue, it's daily use that becomes a problem.) Processed foods DON'T have the micro-nutrients, fiber, water, minerals, anti-oxidants and phyto-chemicals that are NOT OPTIONAL.

Don't eat cheese! It's addictive, fattening and health compromising.

There is no need to "eat for protein". I see many new vegetarians worry about getting enough protein. That is almost never an issue. There is no need for dairy or protein powders whatsoever. Just eat plenty of whole foods, including greens and beans, and your protein needs will be met.
    25. ceroche926
      ceroche926 Posts: 3 Member
      Options
      Thank you all very much!!
    26. GottaBurnEmAll
      GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
      Options
      Instead of cheese, try Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, seitan, tofu, tempeh, lentils, eggs, egg whites.

You do need to worry about protein, particularly if you're dieting, in order to preserve lean mass. The current recommendations for dietary protein are too low, and protein is often sating for most people.
    27. reneec257
      reneec257 Posts: 39 Member
      Options
      Forks Over Knives puts out a really nice monthly magazine with great recipes! https://www.forksoverknives.com/
    28. kzooyogi
      kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
      Options
      I've been vegan for about 2 1/2 years. Consider mine another vote for Minimalist Baker. She's amazing and all of her recipes are either really quick to make, use fewer than 10 ingredients, or are one-bowl wonders. It will help you expand your horizons and stop leaning so heavily on cheese as a filler.
    29. cathipa
      cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
      Options
      Beyond Meat and Gardein are great vegetarian/vegan choices for meat replacement (and I'm an omnivore). I can even get my kids to eat what they think is meat in their spaghetti (really the beyond meat crumbles).
    30. AliceDark
      AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
      Options
      Instead of cheese, try Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, seitan, tofu, tempeh, lentils, eggs, egg whites.

You do need to worry about protein, particularly if you're dieting, in order to preserve lean mass. The current recommendations for dietary protein are too low, and protein is often sating for most people.

This is basically my go-to list as well. I also use whey protein powder on some days.

I plan my meals around the protein source, then fill in the rest of my available calories with carbs and fats. For the most part, cheese isn't a great source of protein when compared to the total number of calories, so if you're treating it as a primary protein source you're likely "spending" a lot of calories getting that protein. (Exceptions are things like cottage cheese, halloumi and string cheese, which usually have a better protein-to-calories ratio).

You want to start thinking about finding foods that replace the macros in meat instead of just foods that replace the function of meat within the meal. For example, people stop eating burgers and start eating portobello mushroom sandwiches. The mushroom takes the place of the burger patty, but it's not even close to being nutritionally equivalent. I've seen a lot of veggie burgers that have terrible protein macros as well. New vegetarians sometimes think just about simple swaps and don't think about replacing the nutrients in meat, which can lead to a very unbalanced diet.
    31. ceroche926
      ceroche926 Posts: 3 Member
      Options
      I must say as a student (busy and broke) so many of these options are still very doable! Thank you all so much for your tips!!
    32. ami4kids
      ami4kids Posts: 6 Member
      Options
      cathipa wrote: »
      Beyond Meat and Gardein are great vegetarian/vegan choices for meat replacement (and I'm an omnivore). I can even get my kids to eat what they think is meat in their spaghetti (really the beyond meat crumbles).
      I've been a vegetarian for 2 years and I recently started adding gardein into wraps and salads....sooooo good!! Crabless bites, fishless filets and the chiken strips are amazing!