Night time munches

katonfire2
katonfire2 Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Most of my weight is from me always wanting to eat at night.. I'm a night owl and usually I get bored and all I want to do is eat. I'm on day 4 of losing weight and its 1:55am and it's taking all I have not to run to the fridge and start pigging out. I keep telling myself that I can do this but my gosh its hard. And it doesn't help that I'm going through a rough time with my life and I wanna turn to food for comfort. I am dying for a Coke right now and a giant cheese burger. Lol I have really gotta find a way to keep these temptations away.

Replies

• Chihaku_Zeal
    Chihaku_Zeal Posts: 33 Member
    I have started about a week or so ago myself, and I admit it can be hard at times. Ask yourself "Are you really hungry, or do you just want to eat?". That's what I've been doing and I haven't had any late night cravings at all. Even my roommates try to be diet crashers by bringing in pizza and fast food, and that can even be a burden. Just keep telling yourself that you can do this. Mind over matter. :3
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    What do you normally eat for dinner? this could be the culprit. Also if you've already eaten dinner waking up around 1am to eat more food is never a good idea. Resist the urge, and have a breakfast in the morning that is protein packed.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Well everyone gets that munchie feeling and it's a diet killer unless you choose right. My suggestion..... pack the fridge with good snacks, healthy. When you get the urge allow the healthy choice. Practice eating it slow and over time it should help. I mean it won't be overnight but if you practice it will get better. I'll give you something to shoot for. It takes 30 days to start a habit or break a habit. If you can do that then you can start doing it less. Allow 4 days a week and slow it down from there. Remind yourself that I can't do it tonight but I'm allowed to do it tomorrow and make a plan in your head. Sometimes when you say in your head you are allowed the next night it makes it a little easier. Good luck I know I still struggle with stuff but at least I can put an idea out.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Save some calories and stock up on reasonable snacks if you know you're going to be munchie at night. If you've recently given up soda, just realize the cravings will get better and give it time.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Plan your nighttime eating rather than stop it entirely. Just allot your calories accordingly. But if you are eating out of boredom you also need a plan to manage that. I would suggest do something else for ten minutes when the boredom munchies hit. Even better would be doing some sort of workout during your typically boref time.
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Plan for your nighttime snacking! Under snacks for the day I might have a Greek yogurt, bag of chips, and random things logged. But I don't actually eat that until 2 in the morning. As long as your logging it and within your deficit you'll be fine.

Also address why your wanting a snack, is it because your up and bored? Stressed? Actually hungry? Address your issues

What helps me is also logging what I'm likely to eat the next day ahead of time. And most of the time I don't want to ruin my plans when my meals are spread out in front of me. If that makes sense.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    I, too, have a really hard time at night. I find the trick is finding stuff you CAN eat guilt free, because I can't usually resist, or at least not every day.... I have recently been enjoying Halo Top, or last night I ground up some ice and mixed it with a BCAA powder I have to make a snow cone. It tasted like a freezie and was good for me, so win win.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Why not just go to sleep? Most people are going to want another meal if it's been many hours since the last one. If you're staying up until 2 am regularly, you need to plan another meal 4-6 hours after dinner.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Sleep normal hours (even if you are a night owl like me), sleep enough, save some calories for a snack, eat high fiber foods and stagger with water.

My trick is savings calories and making good choices. If I'm hungry I start with carrots and water and wait twenty minutes, then a string cheese and hot tea and wait twenty...must if the time that works. My next step is usually air popped popcorn. That fills me.
  • walkerrita2
    walkerrita2 Posts: 7 Member
    This is a struggle for me as well. However, air popped popcorn has been my saving grace. I like to add a little spray butter and hot sauce. I also buy the 100 cal pack of almonds and sometimes I'll have that just before bed. If you crave something sweet, try a package of light hot chocolate.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Being hungry late at night and not being able to sleep until I had basically a 4th meal used to really slow my progress. These days I keep little bags of chips around for late snacks, eat a 1oz bag for 150 calories to tide me over. The crunch and the carbs seem to help nudge me into sleep relatively cheaply, maybe give that a try.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I schedule an evening snack right before bed - normally a bowl of cereal - helps me to sleep like the dead and I don't wake up hungry
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Go to bed! I used to be like this, but I have now shifted to becoming a morning person. For some time I have used Zzzquil to fall asleep, usually taking them at around 9pm and am asleep around 10. Waking up at 6 and going to the gym feels great - but more importantly I don't stay up and eat (or am generally unproductive).
    Now I'm in a rhytm, and even wake up early in the weekends.

Other than that, keep low cal stuff you can snack in the house. I recently got into jello.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    I know the feeling of the late-night munchies that you just can't defeat! Try keeping light snacks that easily fall into a small portion size - rice cakes or Babybel work well for me and aren't rich enough to unsettle my stomach right before bed.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    my method is when I'm starting to get hungry or just fancying a snack I go to bed
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    I too am an evening snacker - I eat the majority of my calories between 6 and 10pm, including dinner and then a snack later on, like Special K cracker chips, clementines, almonds, frozen yogurt, apples, popcorn, dates - something small but just enough to ease the craving to have something. And Tea - I always end the evening with a cup of tea (caffeine doesnt bother me)
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Have a couple pickles! I'm not even kidding. My cravings go away!