Vegans? Question about sugar goal and insulin sensitivity

Options
Hi everyone! I've been doing a lot of reading about the vegan lifestyle and over the past few months have really felt a pull toward it. The only reason I haven't adopted this way of eating is because I am insulin resistant and most everything I read (and my doctor) says that I should keep my carbs very low and avoid sugar. I get that sugar -- the crystals from a bag, or in the form of other sweeteners -- is to be avoided, but fruit sugar...glucose...I'm not convinced. I've been eating low carb for MONTHS and my weight is barely creeping off.

I've also found a number of vegans who have reversed their insulin resistance and lost a bunch of weight, and a few nutritionists who also ascribe to this way of eating. I'd like to give it a try but I'm concerned about the glucose. If it's true that I may be better off eating higher carb, low protein/low fat (70/15/15), that's awesome. It just defies everything I've ever understood about insulin resistance. And it's frustrating to have wasted so much time, frankly, if this was the right way to go, all along.

My question is this - for any of you who have dealt with this issue and have become more insulin sensitive, what was your daily sugar goal? MFP has set mine quite low (I've already gone over it just by having a smoothie this morning made with frozen fruit, almond milk, a banana, and PB2).

Thanks for your insight in advance...please add me if you would like.
Gina

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I do not have insulin resistance and I do want to encourage you to potentially partner with an RD to help you plan your diet. I just want to point out that veganism doesn't *require* eating fruit, if it's fruit sugar that is your doctor's concern. Is your doctor equally concerned about carbohydrates from things like beans and whole grains and vegetables? Or is this a fruit sugar issue?

Equally, veganism doesn't *require* being low fat or low protein. While vegans tend to eat higher carbohydrate than non-vegans (a lot of our good protein sources contain carbohydrates), you don't have to eat *high* carbohydrate unless you want to.
  • abundantlyme
    abundantlyme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jane. Yes, I realize veganism doesn't require being low fat or low protein - this is the plan that I've read will help increase my insulin sensitivity, to eat at the 70/15/15 macro level. Anyway, thank you for weighing in! I'm definitely going to meet with a dietician, too.
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! Vegan here but not insulin restistant. I wish I could speak to that and also encourage you to seek assistance from an RD.
    I aim for at least 80g of protein each day, eating it with every meal. My naturopath says this is important when trying to lose weight. Also, I rarely hit my carb goals recently as I get the hang of lower carb, higher protein! Feel free to check out my diary if you need ideas, but I do tend to eat pretty simple foods.
    In regards to the sugar in things like bananas I also don't think of it the same as regular sugar. Bananas are officially recognized as being the fruit to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack, Type2 Diabetes and stroke. They help control blood sugar levels and reduce your risk on binging by snacking on one in between meals, making them great for weight loss!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jane. Yes, I realize veganism doesn't require being low fat or low protein - this is the plan that I've read will help increase my insulin sensitivity, to eat at the 70/15/15 macro level. Anyway, thank you for weighing in! I'm definitely going to meet with a dietician, too.

Got it -- sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I haven't dealt with this myself, so I think you need to discuss your proposed diet changes with an endocrinologist. I don't know if you're already a member, but asking on the http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ as well as here could help. I know there is a link to a free vegan e-cookbook for diabetics here
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I think you are right to worry about sugar from fruit and vegetables. I'd talk more to your doctor and see if they can refer you to a registered dietitian.
  • abundantlyme
    abundantlyme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I haven't dealt with this myself, so I think you need to discuss your proposed diet changes with an endocrinologist. I don't know if you're already a member, but asking on the http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ as well as here could help. I know there is a link to a free vegan e-cookbook for diabetics here

Yes, I do have an endocrinologist and will be discussing with her, of course. Just looking for insight from the community in addition to the work I'm doing with my doctors. Thank you for the links!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I hope you can work out a diet plan that covers all the bases.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One thing: all sugars are glucose in the body. It may start out as sucrose, glucose, fructose. maltose, etc, etc. But your body converts all of it into glucose. There is no difference. These are simple carbohydrates made up of 1-2 sugar molecules. Starches, like you get in grains, potatoes, etc are complex carbohydrates made up of 3 or more sugar molecules and also convert to glucose in the body. Anyone who has an issue with high blood sugars (whether it is from insulin resistance or not producing enough insulin) needs to limit their total carbs. The amount will vary from person to person. Cutting out added sugars is one easy way to quickly moderate overall carb consumption.

There is nothing inherently healthier about vegetarianism (if you will continue to use animal products like leather, wool, silk, honey, beeswax, etc. you are not a vegan) but if it appears to be a lifestyle you want, see a Registered Dietician who can help you combine your nutritional needs with the reduced carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try joining the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto vegetarians, and a number of LCHF vegetarians. There are a few LCHF vegans in there too, but I don't believe any are keto.... That's a hard combination and usually requires the use of (vegan) protein powder.

In my mind, sugar is sugar. Table sugar is glucose and fructose. Fruit sugar is glucose and fructose. Glucose is the main elevator of blood glucose levels, but high fructose is linked to insulin resistance (it may be one possible cause). Fruit sugars are usually released more slowly into the blood due to the fibre. That's part of the reason a fruit juice or smoothie will spike BG higher and faster than eating fruit. That and the fact that it is MUCH easier to consume more sugar when you drink a few fruits rather than eat/chew your fruits.

Not all fruits are created equal when it comes to IR. Tropical fruits, and dried fruits, will usually raised BG the most. Bananas, mangos, raisins, dates, figs, and grapes (though not tropical) tend to raise BG almost like candy would (in me). Temperate fruits like apples, pears, oranges, nectarines and plums have lower sugar levels and can be more easily eaten on a LCHF diet. Berries are quite low in sugars. Even ketogenic dieters enjoys those fairly regularly if they choose.

And then there are the fruits that everyone thinks of as veggies. Those are very low sugar and often eaten quite freely. It includes legumes, squashes, peppers, and cucumbers. I eat those most days. True veggies are roots, stems, or leaves (like carrots, celery, and spinach).