Breakfast Smoothies

Options
Does anyone have any good smoothie recipes for breakfast on the go - Diet in mind, not to much sugar lol?

I have seen someone mention including oats in the smoothie to fill it out a bit.

Replies

• juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I haven't made them in a while... but I always used hard boiled egg whites in my smoothies as the protein. Included whatever frozen or fresh fruit I had, some rice milk, and sugar free Torani vanilla syrup.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I made one the other day. 8oz SIlk (Soy Milk Light), one banana, 50grams of blueberries, 1/2 cup Quaker oats (1-minute kind). It was thick and delicious. No sugar added (did not need it).
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Shakeology with all natural peanut butter or banana or strawberry. Can you say heaven???
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    I make a smoothie every morning with....

1 cup Frozen Berries (or other fruit)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk (the sweetned brands do taste better in the smoothies and aren't that bad for you, the unsweetened take a bit to get use to but it's still good)
    6 oz 0% Greek Yogurt
    Cinnamon

Mine come about to...
    Calories - 226
    Carbs - 27g
    Fat - 5g (w/ coconut milk, 3 with almond)
    Protein - 20 g

I have one of the cusinart blenders that has single serve cups so it's great for on the go!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I never made a smoothie I didn't like! You can throw anything (well.. within reason) into the blender and it will come out tasting good. I like throwing in a cup of spinach and a banana for mine, sometimes frozen strawberries. Other times I want more of a fruity mixture so I'll just use a frozen fruit blend with some protein powder and ice.
  • aprileve411
    aprileve411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm big on getting lots of protein to build muscle for fat loss, so I use whey protein. Myofusion is my favorite. Here's my typical breakfast smoothie- I actually had it this morning and it's pretty filling:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk (40 cals)
    1 scoop Vanilla Myofusion (about 147 cals)
    1/2 frozen banana (53 cals)
    1 tbsp PB2 Chocolate PB (23 cals)
    Sweetener of your choice (used sparingly)

Totals to 29g protein, 24g carbs. This is perfect for me with the banana in the morning, as I taper my carbs through the day. If I have the shake later in the day, I do it without the banana.
  • ktshealth
    ktshealth Posts: 21
    Options
    I make one every morning for breakfast using:
    Jillian Michael's Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
    Frozen non sweetened strawberries
    1 banana
    1 - 1/2 cups of non sweetenend almond milk

Sometimes I substitute a small container of the Light N Fit flavored yogurts for the banana.
  • AshleyBunny
    Options
    Here's an AMAZING green smoothie recipe that is full of antioxidants and will actually make your skin, hair, nails, eyes (basically everything) look healthier if you eat this on a regular basis. It also helps regulate digestion!

1 - 2 bananas
    1/4 cup frozen mango
    1/4 cup frozen peaches
    2 large handfuls of spinach
    Ice (optional)
    And enough water to blend

Blend it all in a smoothie and enjoy! You actually don't taste the spinach AT ALL. It is masked by the other fruit in the smoothie! And you don't need dairy or soy milk as the base liquid to blend, so it saves calories, too. Also, feel free to replace the mango and peaches with a fruit of your choice. As long as there are bananas and spinach, you can add whatever you feel like! You've got yourself a no sugar added, low calorie smoothie. c:
  • Zelsawaf
    Zelsawaf Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a "breakfast" smoothie, but just for smoothies in general here's a really simple one.

- 3-4 ice cubs
    - 1 Low-fact (80 Cal) Fruit Yogurt (I go with kroger cause its cheap)
    - 1 c of whatever kind of fruit the yogurt is, either buy some fresh of the same thing, or frozen

Blend it, and enjoy

I've found a really good combo is peach yogurt with a whole peach, or peach yogurt with mango slices
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I really like the vanilla EAS protein powder. I blend it with ice, 1/4 banana and a handful of berries. One scoop is 130 calories and 23 grams of protein. A perfect light breakfast and it does fill you up.
  • morefitmom
    morefitmom Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt plain, mango, vanilla protein powder, milk to get to whatever consistency you like
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I made one the other day. 8oz SIlk (Soy Milk Light), one banana, 50grams of blueberries, 1/2 cup Quaker oats (1-minute kind). It was thick and delicious. No sugar added (did not need it).

bump
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I used to make a smoothie every morning. I would add frozen fruit, plain yogurt (or vanilla), a splash of milk and half of an avocado. The avocado ups the calories, but the healthy fats are so filling! And it gives the smoothie a wonderful smooth, rich texture. I need to start making those again!
  • upinthecosmos
    upinthecosmos Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Have you tried green smoothies? They say to start out with a banana & a handful of fresh spinach leaves. You can add a little water, or almond milk & blend. I haven't tried them quite yet but plan to tomorrow & over the weekend with some different fruits & such:-)
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Re: green smoothies. I run a summer program where we have a mix of kids preschool aged to 5th grade. The project that everyone still talks about is our "monster" smoothies. We did it up with 1/2 can of apple juice concentrate, a cup of frozen pineapple and heaps and heaps of chopped frozen spinach. We added crushed ice and trickles of water until it was just thin enough to drink. We had dedicated greens-haters ask for seconds.

( If I were making it at home, I would get rid of the apple juice for a banana and throw in some greek yogurt/protein powder to round it out. )

I like using the frozen everything because you can just use a standard blender instead of a vitamix or other pricey thingamabob.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The smoothie I'm drinking right now:

1-1/2 cups of spinach
    2 carrots
    2 bananas
    1/2 cup of broccoli (this is a new addition for me ... Makes me feel a lot better about my veggie intake!)
    8 oz rice milk
    ice (depends on how thick you want it, but I usually go for a full cup)

I also throw in a few berries in the last 30 seconds of the blend. Strawberries or raspberries are my preference.

I make two servings so I make sure I get all of my fruits and veggies. Best drink ever :)<3
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    I had my first green smoothie today! I was inspired by this thread earlier and found some spinach in the fridge. I want to try frozen at some point because I like a thicker, colder smoothie. Couldn't taste the spinach at all!

Question: is the banana necessary in a green smoothie? I always find they overwhelm the other flavors.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Nothing's particularly necessary. Banana is an overwhelming flavor, though. You could use mangos or other fruits you enjoy. Banana's just the guaranteed one to cover up other flavors you may not enjoy.

Another recipe I really like is ...

Spinach + mango + carrots + berries

I'm currently working on finding a recipe that incorporates banana but has a more unique flavor. We'll see if I figure that out or not :p
  • spngebobmyhero
    Options
    Nothing's particularly necessary. Banana is an overwhelming flavor, though. You could use mangos or other fruits you enjoy. Banana's just the guaranteed one to cover up other flavors you may not enjoy.

Another recipe I really like is ...

Spinach + mango + carrots + berries

I'm currently working on finding a recipe that incorporates banana but has a more unique flavor. We'll see if I figure that out or not :p

That sounds amazing!!!! I'm gonna have to go get some frozen mango
  • JezebelGL
    JezebelGL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1 Mango diced, 4-5 Strawberries sliced, and 1 cup kefir or some OJ for the liquid and a hand full of ice . Sometimes I add 1TBS of Wheat germ as well.