WHY WAS MY CAL GOAL SET TO 1768

Options
Hi!

I am new here to mfp and I am a little consumed about my numbers. I am 180 lbs and put that I want to lost 1 lb per week with light activity. I am currently a full time student and mom so I walk around more than a sedentary lifestyle but not enough to consider it a workout, so I don't count my steps.

I am 5'8 at 180 and want to lose 30 pounds to reach 150

It says my calorie intake goal should be 1768 daily. Can someone explain to me why this is that number like is my height and weight considered? I'm just confused

Thank you!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    What is it that bothers you about the 1768?
    It looks reasonable to me given your stats and weight loss goals.

MFP takes your height, weight, and inputted activity level and deficit goal into account when it assigns you your calories.
    The number is an estimate, you may have to, after a full menstual cycle, tweak it up or down by 50-100 cals so you are losing at your entered rate.

Cheers, h.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yes, your height, weight, and daily activity level are taken into account (without exercise) and your number is calculated accordingly.

I'm 5'8" and about 170. For a half pound a week at sedentary, MFP gives me about 1550. I usually eat anywhere from 1800-2000, though, because I'm not really sedentary and my fitbit adjusts my calories. So, the number seems right for you.

Since you're new here, I'd suggest reading the stickies about logging and exercise calories and all that good stuff. Give yourself a chance to work through learning slowly. Once you understand how MFP works and how to navigate the database and log your food reasonably accurately, you'll trust the numbers. But, remember that the numbers are still estimates. Give yourself 4-6 weeks to see how your weight loss goes and then make adjustments if necessary.
  • Premiumfaun72
    Premiumfaun72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yeah I thought the number was a little high to lose 1 pound a week. But thank you for the advice! I will most likely tweak it in a month or so
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Like others suggested, it sounds about right. But if you want further validation, the below thread might be helpful. Also, since you don't have a ton of weight to lose, a food scale and logging daily might be your best friend.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/506349/women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day/p1
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey be excited! I'm 5'3, 188 & to lose 1/week it's 1400 something ;)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I love eating. I lose .5 pounds a week on 1900.
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm trying to lose a pound a week and when I started it was 1220 a week, then 1200...now I'm at 1120!
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yep another short girl here. I'm 5ft and 138lbs with a goal of 126lbs. To lose 0.5lb/week I need to eat 1400. be thankful you have so many calories.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2 (ish) and for sedentary I'm given 1390. Thankfully my job means I burn up to 3000 a day so can eat more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am new here to mfp and I am a little consumed about my numbers. I am 180 lbs and put that I want to lost 1 lb per week with light activity. I am currently a full time student and mom so I walk around more than a sedentary lifestyle but not enough to consider it a workout, so I don't count my steps.

It says my calorie intake goal should be 1768 daily. Can someone explain to me why this is that number like is my height and weight considered? I'm just confused

Thank you!

Your stats (sex, height, weight, etc) as well as activity level dictate your calorie (energy) requirements. 1,768 to lose 1 Lb per week would assume a theoretical maintenance of 2,268 calories...which seems about right.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right.

I'm 5'8.5", 158lbs. I've lost 4lbs in 6 weeks netting 2000 calories on average.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its simple math. Your BMR is ~1615, and when you said you were lightly active MFP assumes your lifestyle burns about 40% of your BMR. So MFP expects you to burn 2268 per day. You want to lose 1 pound per week, so consume 1768.
    Hi!

Thank you!

• Premiumfaun72
    Premiumfaun72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok makes sense thank you everyone. Yeah like I don't exercise at all but I walk around a lot and am on my feet more than I am sitting. But it all makes sense to me now
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I was at 1720 when I started. I'm also 5'3" with a starting weight of 254. 39 lbs later, I'm at 1520 and usually eating around 1700, since I'm exercising more. P.S. walking does count as exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm trying to lose a pound a week and when I started it was 1220 a week, then 1200...now I'm at 1120!

Why are you aiming below the recommended minimum calories for women (1200)? Do you exercise? Do you eat back some of those calories burned through exercise?

As you lose weight, your calorie needs will go down, but as you get closer to goal, you should also aim to slow down your weight loss. How much weight do you still have to lose? Is 1 lb/week the right goal for the amount you have to lose?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ok makes sense thank you everyone. Yeah like I don't exercise at all but I walk around a lot and am on my feet more than I am sitting. But it all makes sense to me now

Outside of being and athlete and/or training like one, exercise energy expenditure is typically relatively modest to the calories you burn merely existing and the calories you burn going about your day to day.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Track everything. You eat more than you think - everyone does. Get a food scale and weigh everything to the gram for a while. It is a major pain but it will pay off. Don't count your walking around calories. Everything you are currently doing is what you have to do to be the weight you are now so to lose weight you have to do that and then cut calories. Don't let people freak you out with things like "starvation mode" or "plateau". If you eat less than your body needs to operate it will burn fat stores. Sometimes you might retain water but that will last days not weeks so if you are stalled you have to cut calories to get it moving. These things seem hard in the beginning but as time goes by you adjust. Everything is harder in the beginning but that doesn't mean it stays harder. I have been at this for 5yrs now. I lost all my weight in the first 10m (100lbs) and then as the years go by I watch the scale and when I notice that it is going up I pull out the food scale for a few weeks and re calibrate my diet. I am currently in the middle of one such re-calibration and it is hard but I know it will be easy by the end.