Do you have a "wall"?

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I have one, but it's there for a reason. I end my cuts at 165, so I can caliper and tape measure after a refeed. This allows me to gauge composition changes at that weight, to see how bulk/cut cycles progress, and if I need to change anything. I'm also hoping to compete in the 165 for my first powerlifting meet, so I obviously don't want to stray too far from that in either direction.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    125. I've been below it, spent months at 120 even, but I always seem to bump back up to 125+. I know it's mental and habit, not my body having a problem with it. Part of it is that I'd like to be thinner but find it hard to care that much when I'm 125-130.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe think in pounds instead of stones?
    Stones being a large measurement it somehow seems far more significant.

In my head 11 stone something (even 11stone 13lbs) seems far less than 12 stone.
    I also start to associate 11 stone something as getting into skinny territory (which is a negative term to me).
    When I've dropped as low as 11st10lbs (for a big cycling event) there was a voice in my head saying "weak, puny, skinny" despite logically that made no sense at all.

My self-image is definitely a person that should weigh 12 something although realistically I could be healthy/strong/lean and less than that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    135 lbs. Every time I go under, I just get so hungry...
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Mine is about 5-10 lbs over my "healthy" weight range. It's the point where I look at myself and think "Meh - I look pretty good" and get lazy about wanting to look BETTER.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I hit that around 184, which was when I dropped below obese on the BMI chart.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    When I go below 3% bodyfat, I die.

Apart from that no.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you voiced this because I thought I was the only one. I definitely have a wall! It seems like I lose 15#'s and as I'm headed to 20#'s I get "stuck" mentally. I have my weight loss broken into 20# increments to make it feel more manageable, but for some reason, I struggle between the 15 and 20# mark. The good news is I've proven to myself that I can maintain, but I NEED to continue to losing for health. I've been working through Beck's CBT trying to break this mental barrier. I'm kind of relieved to know I'm not the only one that struggles with this. Maybe it won't be so hard to get past it now that I know that.....
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm sorta stuck in one now - I got to 180, which is the smallest I've been in 12-14 years, and have really struggled the last couple of months. It hit at the same time I reached the 6 month mark of dieting, and a really busy time at work, and a lot of family drama, blah blah blah. And I'm just so incredibly tired of logging and having to constantly think of what I can eat that is in my calorie limit. And my doctor didn't seem very impressed with my 50 lb weight loss - he told me to go home and lose 50 more lbs, bringing me down to 135 lbs. I can't wrap my mind around 135 right now, but I still hear his voice in my head and I'm partially convinced that I will never ever make it to 135. Maybe 140? I'm just tired of dieting being my only hobby and I want this to be over. I'm down to 175 so still losing, but I have definitely hit a wall. Sorry for the rant.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    140. I got to 138 and then the "you're too skinny" interventions started. And I let it mess me up. Went back up to 147 for a year. I was nowhere near too skinny, people just weren't used to seeing me at a healthy weight ever in life (cultural issues involved too). I was 141.4 this morning. My size 4s are getting loose. I feel anxious, but at the same time I want and need to cross that line to get to 125. If I end up a 2 or 0 who needs to know? They're not checking my clothes and it's no one's business but mine. I'll be 41 soon and I want to be in shape already!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    My wall is 120. I've reached this several times (with a goal of 115) and always hovered around it for a while then started gaining again. That's the point where I start of feel self-consciously thin (I'm not). This time I set my goal for 120, am losing very, very slowly and as I go down I have less of a feeling of not being myself. This time I set my goal for 120, and I plan to maintain there for a month or two until this feels like normal, then I'll try for 5 more lbs very slowly and see if I can settle comfortably there. I figure at the worst I'll have figured out how to maintain at 120, which will be a first for me in a very long time :-)
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Totally!!

I was stuck at 190 lbs for 6 months! I realized it was all fear of getting smaller. I was comfortable in a US size 12 pant and large shirt. I honestly don't think I'd fit my rear in a size 12 since I was 12! I've always been obese and it was scary to creep closer to that "healthy" BMI. I'm down to 176 now after figuring out it was all in my head.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Rhabdo...lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    180 Lbs...I tend to drop from 190 to 180 every spring...I hit that and I usually just feel good enough...I look fit at around 12-15% BF and I'm just kinda like, "meh". Plus, I usually hit that around May and then summer pool and BBQ parties ensue. I'm shooting for 175 this year...I think I could maintain that fairly easily so long as I can get there...
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Mine is the 190s. I'm there now and have been here 4-5 times in the past. I have self-sabotaged each time prior and regained.

I've thought a lot about why I ruin my loss each time. I don't have the answer. But I know that I'm pushing through this time and am so excited to meet the other side.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I do, but it's going to sound super vain since I'm fairly light so I'll start by saying I am pretty small-framed and every ounce shows on me.

I like my body best about 112-115. However, my body - unless I'm running a lot, which I haven't done all winter since I had some ITBS that would not go away - really fights me tooth and nail to be more like 122-124 and every time I drop down to a point that is aesthetically pleasing to me I invariably feel like I'm so hungry all the time and eat until I'm back up a bit. I can maintain the higher weight easily, but every pound I try to drop from there is so hard and requires absolutely meticulous attention to calories.

When I'm able to consistently run moderate mileage (30-35 mpw) I do find it easier to maintain in the 118 range since my appetite won't naturally exceed my exercise expenditure, but when I'm not running those extra 5 pounds just STAY ON and you can see every ounce on my frame and it makes me crabby. I've had a tough winter dealing with it since not running makes me cranky AND chubbier and I haven't been feeling very good about myself as a result. I loooooaaatthhe strength training and only force myself to do the bare minimum and no other cardio really does it for me either, so it's been a pretty miserable few months for me of struggling to button my pants and forcing myself to lift some weights and telling myself to cool it with the snacking without much success.

Super frustrating and petty but I only have my willpower to blame :sweat_smile:
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No but I do generally have a point where I dint find the effort to be worthwhile. It varies though, depending on how many other things in my life demand my limited energy and how willing I am to live with being hungry, or just forgoing tasty things.

For me that meant being 190 to 205 most of my adult life. On a 5'11" frame I was big but didn't have to shop in women's clothing, and my weight didn't impact my life by preventing me from doing things I wanted to do. I'd had disordered eating in my late teens, too, and was terrified of revisiting that very dark place.

Due to serious illness and injury, as well as what was clearly in retrospect depression, my weight soared at the end of graduate school and the following few years, but I held onto old beliefs that I had to be miserable (more miserable than I was) to lose weight. However, the impact of my weight on my life... And what it meant for my future if I didn't get it under control also became clear. That lead me to myfitnesspal. And I discovered, after a few months of feeling sorry for myself about not eating so many cookies, that weight loss didn't have to involve starvation or severe self denial.

Now that I'm down to 160 I can see that I was impacted socially, emotionally, and to a lesser degree physically in ways I had a hard time seeing clearly at that time, even at the more moderate weight between 190-205. I believe my willingness to continue doing what I need to do to maintain this weight will not abate.

That said, I can categorically state that I'm completely unwilling to do what it would take to get down to the bottom of my healthy BMI range. So maybe that's a "block". I look at it more as a decision about trade - offs though.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I do, but it's going to sound super vain since I'm fairly light so I'll start by saying I am pretty small-framed and every ounce shows on me.

I like my body best about 112-115. However, my body - unless I'm running a lot, which I haven't done all winter since I had some ITBS that would not go away - really fights me tooth and nail to be more like 122-124 and every time I drop down to a point that is aesthetically pleasing to me I invariably feel like I'm so hungry all the time and eat until I'm back up a bit. I can maintain the higher weight easily, but every pound I try to drop from there is so hard and requires absolutely meticulous attention to calories.

When I'm able to consistently run moderate mileage (30-35 mpw) I do find it easier to maintain in the 118 range since my appetite won't naturally exceed my exercise expenditure, but when I'm not running those extra 5 pounds just STAY ON and you can see every ounce on my frame and it makes me crabby. I've had a tough winter dealing with it since not running makes me cranky AND chubbier and I haven't been feeling very good about myself as a result. I loooooaaatthhe strength training and only force myself to do the bare minimum and no other cardio really does it for me either, so it's been a pretty miserable few months for me of struggling to button my pants and forcing myself to lift some weights and telling myself to cool it with the snacking without much success.

I'm the same. I think you're smaller framed than I am (if I'm remembering correctly, you wear a 28 band bra), but I like myself a lot under 120, but I got hungry there and engaged in self-sabotage.

Now I'm 118 and those three pounds show and I don't like it and want to nip it in the bud. I might be shorter than you too. I'm only 5'1".

I had lofty goals of getting under 115, but after seeing a friend's recomp success with just yoga-ish body balance classes and running, I am going to shoot again for that and stay there, hoping things stabilize.

The big monkey wrench is my arthritis. Right now it's not playing nicely with my lofty running goals. And my migraines aren't happy with lifting. I'm thinking of taking up yoga to supplement my walking. Something has to give.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me, when my body starts to change it can feel a bit scary and uncomfortable. Almost like a protective layer has gone. I feel about right at 140 but got fed up of going up by about 5 pounds when still eating at maintenance so I aimed to lose an extra 7lbs to allow for that initial gain. I have got to about 133lbs now and have started to increase my intake towards full maintenance. I actually feel quite weird and vulnerable at the moment. I feel strange lumps under my arms and realise they are my ribs, I have all sorts of weird lumps and bumps in my abdomen, probably previously buried organs! I have lots of scar tissue which feels horrible and makes my more aware of aches and pains in that area (lower abdomen where I have had surgery 4 times through the same scar) Rationally, I know an extra fat layer won't protect me from breaking a rib but they feel so vulnerable now! I am determined to remain eating healthily but I can see how this insecurity can lead to panic eating and consequently, gaining back too much.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

I'm the same. I think you're smaller framed than I am (if I'm remembering correctly, you wear a 28 band bra), but I like myself a lot under 120, but I got hungry there and engaged in self-sabotage.

Now I'm 118 and those three pounds show and I don't like it and want to nip it in the bud. I might be shorter than you too. I'm only 5'1".

I had lofty goals of getting under 115, but after seeing a friend's recomp success with just yoga-ish body balance classes and running, I am going to shoot again for that and stay there, hoping things stabilize.

The big monkey wrench is my arthritis. Right now it's not playing nicely with my lofty running goals. And my migraines aren't happy with lifting. I'm thinking of taking up yoga to supplement my walking. Something has to give.

Yep, I'm 5'4" but pretty narrow, especially in the shoulders and ribcage with a 28 bra band (small hands/feet too and all that) and without any desire to build more muscle than I already carry, so my maintenance weight/favourite weight are pretty low comparatively. But hey, that's why BMI is a range, to account for different body types. The bottom of healthy-per-BMI for my height is 107 lb and if I didn't carry any extra muscle from running, that would probably be where I'd want to be aesthetically, but I give myself 5-10 lb above that to account for my thunder quads etc.

The hard thing is that the lighter you are, the less food you need (all else equal) so maintaining what I think looks best means I have to maintain on less than 1500 calories a day or exercise. And I haven't been able to run this winter, so every time I eat a couple hundred extra calories my weight edges up. Waaaaaaaaah. Total crybaby.

(side note:
    I see on MFP a lot that people are unhappy with their larger frames since it means they weigh more on the scale at a certain look/size, but what I think they don't realize is that the smaller your frame is, the more any extra weight/fat shows. I look distinctly overweight at the top of my "healthy" BMI (~145 lb) with a stomach roll, large soft arms, a fat fold above my knee, and 32Gs that are clearly out of proportion although I'm still only a dress size 6-8 since the underlying frame is small. Since I'm not interested in heavy lifting and bulk/cut cycles to put on muscle, I will remain one of those people who looks better and only has an athletic body fat percentage much nearer the bottom of my healthy BMI than at the top.)