Resistance Bands

Options
Kia148
Kia148 Posts: 204 Member
I was wondering does anyone use them for strenght training? If so what are your thought about them? I have recently started using them and I must say I actually get a good workout with them.

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i use them for the wii ea sports active,it's not weights but at 1st it does make you ache! so it must be doing something...:)
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    bump- would like to see others respones...
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump... same here, would like more info
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I use them with the TurboFire program....TurboTone and TurboSculpt. I love them and can see a huge difference.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Love them!!! I take them with me when I travel too!
  • fit_chica69
    fit_chica69 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been using them with Slim In 6 and I love them. I'm starting to notice muscles forming!! I highly recommend them!! :happy:

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]8644877.png[/url]
  • lamorte
    lamorte Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Love the bands ! You can use these for almost any exercise out there. I have come across a few instances where the dumbells simply did a better job such as tricep kickbacks but other than that no issue. I did make the mistake of not going and getting a quality band the first time around, went to Target and purchased the " heavy duty "black band the had. Well, It snapped mid workout on me the second day of use. Total garbage. Make sure to buy these from a sports equipment dealer, although i did find a pretty heavy duty durable one at my local store, Sports Basement.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I love them! I like being able to adjust the resistance as I'm doing an exercise without having to pick up a new weight. I feel like I get a better workout with them. You can't swing a resistance band like you might do with a dumbbell.
  • kitkat536
    kitkat536 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Look up the 10 minute workouts. They are primarily the resistance bands. My boyfriend uses them (I need the lighter bands) and it's a fantastic workout for him.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I use them on days I don't run. Nothing heavy, but it adds to the range of things I do whilst at home.
  • gmrgirl
    gmrgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use them and train my clients with them. I have weights, but sometimes the bands are better, especially with beginners.

some interesting things with bands - even if you weight train, swapping things up with bands will work your muscles differently and therefore still do some amazing things.

**Feel free to ignore this next part if you don't want the reasoning behind the statement above**
    When lifting weights, the tough part is the bottom part of the move, when you are initially resisting gravity and getting to the sticking point. Think about a bicep curl, the hardest part is from the bottom until about half way up, then you raise the weights to your shoulder and BAM, rep done.

With resistance bands, the hard part is EXACTLY OPPOSITE. The hard part is from the "sticking point" (half way point of the move) to the top of the move because resistance bands are basically large elastic bands. The further you stretch them, the more resistance you encounter.
    **ok, back to our regularly scheduled post**

If you want to be even more flexible in how you use your bands, you can head out to Play it Again sports (or another sporting good store) and they have handles that can hold up to three bands at once and a LARGE array of bands. I slip the different weights into the handles and my clients and I can get an insane workout with these inexpensive pieces of equipment...

And when we get REALLY cocky, we do weights + resistance bands so we have max resistance throughout the entire range of motion.

Hope this helps!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Interesting.....tnx for the info......
    I use them and train my clients with them. I have weights, but sometimes the bands are better, especially with beginners.

some interesting things with bands - even if you weight train, swapping things up with bands will work your muscles differently and therefore still do some amazing things.

**Feel free to ignore this next part if you don't want the reasoning behind the statement above**
    When lifting weights, the tough part is the bottom part of the move, when you are initially resisting gravity and getting to the sticking point. Think about a bicep curl, the hardest part is from the bottom until about half way up, then you raise the weights to your shoulder and BAM, rep done.

With resistance bands, the hard part is EXACTLY OPPOSITE. The hard part is from the "sticking point" (half way point of the move) to the top of the move because resistance bands are basically large elastic bands. The further you stretch them, the more resistance you encounter.
    **ok, back to our regularly scheduled post**

If you want to be even more flexible in how you use your bands, you can head out to Play it Again sports (or another sporting good store) and they have handles that can hold up to three bands at once and a LARGE array of bands. I slip the different weights into the handles and my clients and I can get an insane workout with these inexpensive pieces of equipment...

And when we get REALLY cocky, we do weights + resistance bands so we have max resistance throughout the entire range of motion.

Hope this helps!