Going vegetarian?

Options
Hey guys! After a recent discussion with my best friend, we are considering going vegetarian! Any suggestions for stuff to take on the go? I normally take a pb& j to work.. I guess that works, huh? Any tips in general would be appreciated :]

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hummus and pita/veggies is a great snack that you can pack up and really take anywhere! I also really like dehydrated fruits and nut mixes.

There's a great website called thekindlife.com that's full of great recipes and tips for people just starting out on the journey. Best of luck to you and your friend!
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this too! but I realized that I love chicken wayyyy too much and my boyfriend (who I live with & cook for :) LOVES meat, so I decided to go vegetarian 1-2 times a week! so I would definitely like some ideas too!

I just found these Veggie Straws that are lightly salted and are a perfect on the go snack (38 of them for only 130 cals) which is nice! I also have been using V8 light to add into my fruit smoothies instead of milk or yogurt and its awesome! popcorn is a really good snack too!
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave consider buying meat alternatives, some brand are morningstar, amys, boca. There are things like chikn fingers, nuggets, ribs, and many others not just veggie burgers. and they can all be nuked.
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I already eat the morningstar farms burgers--they're delicious!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and as far as work is concerned, I've gotten in the habit of making extra at dinner time so I can take the leftovers to work the next day for lunch. I usually keep a few pre-packaged frozen meals in my fridge for those nights that I don't have any leftovers.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    im vegetarian..........cuppa soups, ryvitas, fruit, nuts, pittas, crackers and humous with olives, breadsticks, ready made cous cous etc
  • laurenlivesfit
    laurenlivesfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit and veggies!

Also check out Morning Star brand products- they have veggie burgers, veggie breakfast sausage, black bean burgers, etc. Good way to get protein. and if you have a microwave at work, just cook it in there. I usually eat the black bean burgers with avocado and some light sour cream- yummy!

Side note, I went vegetarian and decided to keep fish in my diet (its called pescitarian)- I eat it about 3 times a week for protein and omega 3's.

Peanut butter or almond butter are also great ways to get some protein

And don't forget to start taking a B12 vitamin! Very important for vegetarians!
  • caeliumspecto
    caeliumspecto Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love making pasta salad. Get some frozen cheese tortellini (so you don't need to cook it), add lettuce, a light vinaigrette, some veggies (you can also get great salad veggies pre cut if you are really busy), and toss it in a ziplock. Usually by lunch the pasta is defrosted and delicious!

I also love me some apple/granola salads. (I use lemon juice instead of dressing).
  • betrayal
    betrayal Posts: 1
    Options
    Can't go wrong with PB&J!

For prepackaged foods, I would also check out Annie Chun's and Simply Asia. They have quite a few really delicious "just add water" noodle bowls, many of which are vegan as well.

I've been on a vegan diet for 7 months now, and I can honestly say that if you don't start cooking for yourself, it's going to be really tough to stick with it. There's only so long you can eat PB&J, hummus, and veggie plates before you go insane. There are so many great veg cook books out there that have a ton of amazing ideas, and are usually pretty quick and easy to make.

As far as eating out (which is pretty essential as well!!!) I use http://www.veganeatingout.com/ to find out what does and doesn't fit into what I choose to eat. It's geared toward vegan diets, but it also does a great job of giving ingredients so you can make the decision yourself.
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm pretty excited. :]
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I try to cook something for dinner so that way I can take the leftover with me for lunch the next day. If I don't have leftovers I usually have a frozen meal from Trader Joes. We are lucky that there are so many different meat substitutes to choose from these days, I like Morningstar the best. I used to eat their products every day but now I only eat them once every couple weeks because I cook a lot more.